Oath of Allegiance

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by black_taxi, Aug 26, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hey Ho
    Can any let me know where I can get a down loadable/printable version of the Oath of allegiance. to hand out to our recruits after they
    have been Sworn at ..... I mean... In. one that can have there name printed on
    Ta
    Black Taxi

2. "I SWEAR BY ALMIGHTY GOD THAT I WILL BE FAITHFUL AND BEAR TRUE ALLEGIANCE TO HER MAJESTY QUEEN ELIZABETH II, HER HEIRS AND SUCCESSORS AND THAT I WILL AS IN DUTY BOUND HONESTLY AND FAITHFULLY DEFEND HER MAJESTY, HER HEIRS AND SUCCESSORS IN PERSON, CROWN AND DIGNITY AGAINST ALL ENEMIES AND WILL OBSERVE AND OBEY ALL ORDERS OF HER MAJESTY, HER HEIRS AND SUCCESSORS AND OF THE GENERALS AND OFFICERS SET OVER ME"

Not shure where, or indeed why, you would want a version you could just 'download'...

3. There is an attestation certificate that has scrolls etc and should be completed with the name of both the soldier and officer, A5 size in Green on white or Black on white come in packs of 100 from the stationers in south wales.

4. D_D
    YES, I Know the Oath, no need to "shout" Its just something to give the new recruits so they can hang it on the wall in an appropriate place, hopefully the 1st of many awards/photos/general bump that they will accumilate over their long and properous careers in the T.A.

Whitehorse , you couldnt be a bit more specific could you

thanx for the response any way ,Have good weekend

5. Anyone have the wording of all that other stuff I signed recently? Should have read it first, of course, but the nice man who put them in front of me didn't seem to think I needed to.

6. I'll get the gen on Tues Eve, I'm sure there is an NSN or some such.

7. Don't the TA get given one of these when they join up and are attested then? That's a bit of a shame really. I still have mine and the testement I was given. I seem to recall all was signed by a captain from the Royal Engineers. Mine just has a space for the name to be written in. Perhaps you could get a blank and Photocopy it?

8. ^Sadly Lairdx, despite all the lofty talk about recruitment from on high, we would rather spend the cash with Saatchi & Saatchi (or a S&S clone) trying to get chefs into gliders.

Making the enlistment process special doesn't seem to have been factored in yet. Of course there isn't a problem with retention of these precious new recruits is there? :roll:

9. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

I joined as a Junior Leader in 1966. I took the oath at the atestation part in the ACIO. I repeated it on joining IJLB some weeks later. I also repeated it on Passing Out of Junior Leaders 2 years later. My final time of taking the oath was when I joined the TA.

I never got a nice certificate but the oath I gave in 1966 stood all through my service, even if protocol meant I had to repeat it.

10. They bloody well do, or they should do. The certificate I'm on about is supposed to be completed at the attestation, signed by soldier and officer.

11. No arguments there but note the emphasis I have added to "should".

I posted for just this about 18 months ago on ArmyNET and resorted to printing out a scanned certificate from a Unit down South whose PSAO still had a few left.

We have confused marketing with recruiting. We need marketing of course but without the recruiting to back it up there isn't much point. And recruiting done properly - with a BIG emphasis placed on the Oath of Allegiance is itself a massive aid to subsequent retention, at least in the early months.

WH if you can lay your hands on the certificate or an official source for same I would be very grateful.

12. Now Then, boys,
    have just got back after a few days orf and look what I have started , I agree with everything that has been said, but lets be honest a photocopy is not the sort of image we should be projecting to these guys, I know what I would have done had I been given one(a signed photocopy that is!!!!)
    any way thanx so far for the discussion
    B_T

13. And this is exactly what happened for me when I joined, although I think my certificate is a photo copy but that doesn’t matter really, it’s now framed and sitting in my “to do” pile, waiting to be hung up somewhere.

14. maninblack

maninblack LE Book Reviewer

There is no provision in the Cadet Force commisioning system for officers to swear an oath...........a rather sad and disturbing point.

15. I don't believe there is provision for any directly commissioned officer to swear an oath. If an officer's service starts as an officer cadet, that is not a commissioned rank and attestation is appropriate.

Someone whose service starts with the Queen's commission is already 'trusty and well beloved' of Her Majesty and no oath is necessary.