O Level Results

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Queensman, Aug 23, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ok ok ok , I know, it's GCSEs these days....

I'm thrilled that, despite reports of harsher marking this year (long overdue if you ask me) my eldest has just got an A*, 2 As, 3 Bs and 2 Cs. Brilliant. Chuffed to bits.

Mind you, they were a lot harder in my day.......

Cue the proud dad willy waving:
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Well done to him :)
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Jolly well done, so AS levels here we come. Now proud Dad go and sit in a dark corner and have a port, you deserve it.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Well done to them.

Not so much as the grading style was different for O Levels: Standard score - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    This meant there was no grade inflation as we have now due to school league table bollocks.
  5. Interestingly enough, and in a departure from the norm, she is bodyswerving A Levels and has decided to sit the International Baccalaureate or IB. Rather her than me, but apparently it is catching on in popularity and is a good door-opener (as long as one passes it, of course!).

The Port is already decanted! It was either going to be celebrations or sorrow drowning at HQ Qm ce soir, so I aimed off.
  6. Well done to you both, port and cigar deserved...........
    And for you QM a cup of coffee.

7. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

8 A*s and 3 As here, plus 2 As in the Maths A-level modules he took early. Champers already on ice for tonight.

They were alot harder in the early 70s, though, as I keep telling him (and I took all mine a year early).

The lad is out in the garden burning all his notes and files.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Trackpen Minor went for the IB. Tough course and he had to work like hell (made harder by the fact that until he was 17 and started the IB course in the UK, all his education had been at an Italian school).
    However, when he and the chums who took IB went to university they found that things like writing a couple of thousand words in an essay were almost second nature, so they could sit in the bar and really only get going at the last minute.
    With the IB you know that if you do well you have done well against students worldwide and there is no UK government interference in how those results are marked.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. You mean this year they had to actually put the square peg into the square hole?
  10. Jolly well done to one and all. Now just wait until they grow horns at Uni, thats when remote parenting takes on a whole new meaning!
  11. When I took mine in 1996 only the boffin-type kids came home with the A-grades. Last year my mate's son who I know for a fact is thicker than a whale omlette came back with mostly A grades, and spoke of his B's with a hint of disappointment in his voice. My best bloody grade was a B but luckily I've never had to present my certificates to anybody for anything.
  12. As a proud parent, a certain amount of self congratulation is in order and well done to your offspring.

Not so happy about an education industry which has been actively engaged in eroding the value of the qualification for its own ends over many years.

Hopefully the Government will stand firm on undoing the harm caused by dumbing down exams and inflating grades, as evinced by the marking and grading of GCSE English this summer.

After all the false starts and U turns, this could be an historically significant policy at last.

13. Five a's, 3 b's and a c for youngest daughter. Eldest cleared the board last year with 12 a*s and is currently studying to be a vet. Proud? Just a ******* bit.
    • Like Like x 3
  14. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

A's,B's and a couple of C's (RE and Geogrpahy) this end. All on natural talent and little bloody effort. Well he got what he needed for his Physics, Chemistry and Math A levels, Now its time for a sit down chat about the fact you cant cruise yer ******* A levels like that! Still chuffed to **** though.
  15. And so you should be, my eldest daughter got her Phd in theoretical linguistics and I'm very proud of what she's achieved even though I haven't got a scoobeedoo what it's all about!