NZB files???

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by carlbcfc, Aug 30, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What the feck do I do with these?
  2. msr

msr LE

3. I have the nzb file, and the site you gave me, but from then on im clueless??
  4. msr

msr LE

5. The .nzb file, is like a parts list for the file you really want.

You need to have access to a newsgroup server to get the parts. I use Astraweb, with the $10/month unlimited download. This gives you access to a server that has all the parts for all the files you will (pretty much) ever look for. Think of Astraweb as like the RLC, but useful.

I then use Newsbin Pro to get the parts and reassemble them for me. Newsbin Pro needs to know the address of the newsgroup you are using (such as

Once you have got your newsgroup and download program set up (you only need to do this the once), double clicking the nzb file should start it all up, and d/l the file to your chosen location
  6. Will this solve the probelm I had in the other thread, where the NDS files were corrupt?
  7. I havent had any corrupt files so far, well none that couldn't be recovered using QuickPar, and there has only been 2 of those where QP was needed
  8. To make use of NZB's.

You need:

Newsleecher or other such new group reader.
    News group provider

Then you can open NZB's and the news group reader will download, repair and extract the file into its own directory wherever you have specified.

For newsgroups pick one with the option of SSL, its a sensible safeguard these days.

Remember torrents share files (illegal in UK law) but newsgroups don't, making copyrighted things downloaded a civil matter as its copyright breach and not distribution of copyrighted materials.

Both have their own penalties of course, user beware and all that.