NZ Army Comms

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Terry_Y, Aug 12, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can anyone tell me what Comms system the NZ Army use.

I am currently the RSWO at an Inf Bn but have been toying with the idea of joining the NZ Army when i leave, i am just not sure if they would be looking for someone BOWMAN trained if they use a different system.

Many thanks.

TY

2. as far as I'm aware (a few years since i was last home), apart from some buys of PRR, the NZ forces are still 'looking around' for a system, ('looking around' in NZ Mil-speek means 'no bloody money')

I still think of Clansman as gucci kit, try fecking around trying to get a signal with vietnam era PRC 77 sets that are 3 times older than the sprogs carring them.

3. The Kiwis were approved to purchase SINCGARS from the US in 2000/1

4. They were using Harris made radios in 2005, when I was there on long look. Not too dissimilar to bowman type stuff.

5. Thanks for that. How did you enjoy long look, is it worth trying out?

6. Well it certainly beat most of the "holidays" the army has seen fit to send me on. If you can get on Long Look, do it. Four and a bit months, on the companies time, in aus or nz, is gleaming.

I was lucky enough to spend my time attached to 3 Sigs on the south island, trying to pickle my liver in Christchurch most evenings. I rather enjoyed it.