Hey guys, currently in the process of joining but have a couple of questions you might be able to shed some light on, I have a condition known as congenital nystagmus and although it is not severe I reckon it will hurt my chances of gaining entry, does anyone know of anybody in service with this condition? Or is it an immediate deferral? Tia

NSP

LE
I'm by no means an expert on the entry requirements but I'd hazard a guess that, with your disco-dancing eyeballs, you're unlikely to find it very easy to use a rifle sight, obtain a licence to drive any vehicles, let alone armoured ones, and a host of other things. You may find yourself facing disappointment at the medical assessment. Someone who's actually been in the army will be along soon to tell you that your best bet is to 'phone the recruitment office and ask, etc.

Meanwhile, some linkies...

Medical - British Army
https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/eyesight-requirements-tables-from-pap10.179758/

For those who haven't a Scooby what he's on about:-
Nystagmus - Wikipedia

The_Snail

ADC
RIP
Hey guys, currently in the process of joining but have a couple of questions you might be able to shed some light on, I have a condition known as congenital nystagmus and although it is not severe I reckon it will hurt my chances of gaining entry, does anyone know of anybody in service with this condition? Or is it an immediate deferral? Tia
There's a thread for things like this, you might want to ask in there. https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/t...one-for-every-single-medical-question.257388/

I'm by no means an expert on the entry requirements but I'd hazard a guess that, with your disco-dancing eyeballs, you're unlikely to find it very easy to use a rifle sight, obtain a licence to drive any vehicles, let alone armoured ones, and a host of other things. You may find yourself facing disappointment at the medical assessment. Someone who's actually been in the army will be along soon to tell you that your best bet is to 'phone the recruitment office and ask, etc.

Meanwhile, some linkies...

Medical - British Army
https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/eyesight-requirements-tables-from-pap10.179758/

For those who haven't a Scooby what he's on about:-
Nystagmus - Wikipedia

I appreciate the brutality of your honesty I currently have a driving licence but I understand where you are coming from, I have a very slight case of nystagmus but I can also understand the flight risk it might pose in the field, disappointing to say the least but I guess it’s just what happens. Cheers guys.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Cheers for that, my first thought was that it sounded like some kind of Pagan Viking festival, possibly involving drinking from the skulls of one's enemies.
You're thing of War Pigs Walpurgis.

NSP

LE
I appreciate the brutality of your honesty I currently have a driving licence but I understand where you are coming from, I have a very slight case of nystagmus but I can also understand the flight risk it might pose in the field, disappointing to say the least but I guess it’s just what happens. Cheers guys.
As I alluded, your best bet is to step away from the internet and actually engage with the recruitment system to get definitive answers.

And I think I can say with some accuracy, even as a never-served civvy, that if you think my words were "brutal" then you're in for a hell of a shock if you do get in.

Sorry don't know the answer, I also have it through my menieres, try the main system to find out, but all the best

Damn, beaten to it by NSP

The military answer to all problems is keep going until you get shot down. If you want to be in the military apply, if at some point they say no then at least you tried and it won't really have done you any harm.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer

Latest Threads