NY Times Op-Ed of 10 "Experts" on What to Do In Afghan

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by jumpinjarhead, Oct 4, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. OS-always a man of few words! Your picture reminds me of the answer we got in a Cold War era nuclear weapons targeting course I attended when one of our class asked how far away one needed to be from some megatonnage armageddon-type weapon. The instructor's pithy answer was "you need to be a sufficient distance so that when you hear it detonate you can ask your mates with detached curiosity, 'What was that?'" :D

2. Post 9/11 we acted correctly by destroying the Taliban as the ruling power and taking out Al Qeada camps.

AFter that, we lost the plot… we should have pulled out and told the local warlords, 'You can do what you want, but any more terror exports and we drop a missile on your heads until you get the message'…

Rinse, repeat…

3. Pararegtom

Pararegtom LE Book Reviewer

However distateful, at some point hopefully in the near future, the coalition and Afghan Govts have to engage in talks with the Taliban leaders.

Or we will be bringing back more young servicemen and women in Coffins for years to come. Boots on the ground alone will not win this campaign.

4. Indeed--not a new plot--win hearts and minds of all stakeholders that have those 2 attributes. Eliminate the remainder.

5. So I'm reading the sad news from Afghan today, and in the midst of all the crap, both on a personal and international level, I'm struck with the frivolous thought that all this would be solved if we only had Brigadier-General Sir Harry Paget Flashman VC KCB KCIE, "Hero of Jalulabad" to send...

6. I like the idea of Linda Robinson's (for want of a better term) "Chieu Hoi' program. Turned Terr's were used to good effect in various wars of the 20th century.

Nader Nadery with the rooting out of corrupt officials, Paul Pillars Pakistani issue hits the nail squarely