NW London bomb plot - why may it have been kept quiet?

Gents I put this in CA to try and get some serious discussion.
You're right.

Very informative articles though - thank you for sharing.

I'm assuming the timing and how it was handled may have had something to do with the Iranian Nuclear Treaty Obama / the UN was conducting at the time? It's still obviously a sensitive subject, particularly with Trump at the helm and his take on it?

There's the possibility of concern that other counter-terrorism efforts may have been stymied if this one was made public too soon. For example, if MI5 or rozzers are keeping an eye on would-be splodeydopes, they don't want the people they're keeping tabs on getting more conscientious about persec as a result of learning about how another bunch of ****s got caught in similar circumstances.
This more than likely.

I can remember a D notice being splashed on a raid on a Preston address sometime early 90s in which a PIRA bloke got the good news - he was shot in the back garden of the property trying to escape - he had a gat & the team at the back dropped him as the front doors were getting smashed in. My cousin was with Merseyside Police SB at the time & was involved in the Op with Lancs Constabulary. It was kept quiet as there was a nationwide AT operation tracking PIRA cells.

Could have been a HA supply operation. There is no shortage of cheap bulk agricultural AN in the world, but shipping it in the form of freezer blocks would conceal it quite well, if the bulk stuff is strictly controlled.
I would guess it would have been purchased here, then sent to places like Gaza or the West Bank, where it could be extracted, and turned into HME.

Could have been a HA supply operation. There is no shortage of cheap bulk agricultural AN in the world, but shipping it in the form of freezer blocks would conceal it quite well, if the bulk stuff is strictly controlled.
I would guess it would have been purchased here, then sent to places like Gaza or the West Bank, where it could be extracted, and turned into HME.

Ah Palestine - the home of TATP - reminiscent of sending coals to Newcastle.
Wizard wheeze to disguise it as ice packs. Reminds me of the people that used to smuggle Powers in holy water bottles shaped like the blessed virgin.

Alternatively the nation is weak as p*** at the top and just wanted to wish it all away like all our myriad of problems.
Let's face it. This is the most realistic type of scenario, rather than some spy novel type of nonsense.

Wizard wheeze to disguise it as ice packs. Reminds me of the people that used to smuggle Powers in holy water bottles shaped like the blessed virgin.
AN is your classic "dual use" chemical. It is a fertiliser, or an explosive precursor. Both can be controlled by the State. This looks like a cunning plan to obtain the stuff in a form that can be shipped without raising suspicion.

As Mr Breivik showed, it is quite possible to obtain AN legally with a bit of forethought in Western countries, and a State actor would have no problem in buying it by the ton, but this form looks designed for smuggling.

Gents I put this in CA to try and get some serious discussion.
Loofkar this is Arrse, thread de-railing is almost de rigeur.

I like the following bits in your links:
"Acting on a tip from a foreign intelligence agency "
"All those plots were made public and were believed to have targeted Israeli interests around the world."
That of course raises the question, which foreign intelligence agency?
Difficult one that, I my need around 2 seconds to come up with an answer.

Loofkar this is Arrse, thread de-railing is almost de rigeur.

I like the following bits in your links:
"Acting on a tip from a foreign intelligence agency "
"All those plots were made public and were believed to have targeted Israeli interests around the world."
That of course raises the question, which foreign intelligence agency?
Difficult one that, I my need around 2 seconds to come up with an answer.
Cheers Drillers, my ignorance is due to my habit of hanging around Arrse's less salubrious places.

loofkars question reminds me of an incident in Hamburg (?) a couple of years ago. If I remember rightly it concerned a football match that was called off because of a problem which initially was not specified. The then Inneminister de Maiziere said that details could not be released because it might cause alarm*. Could it be in this case in London that the authorities didn't want to cause alarm?

*de Maizieres comment caused exactly what he didn't want. Tosseur.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
I hope the intelligence services are keeping tabs on all the Iranian boat people who are coming over from France as they all can't be opening kebab shops.

Didn't Dhiren Barot and his merry men manage to accumulate well over a ton before getting caught back in 2003?
He didn't accumulate it, he bought it in a oner from an agricultural supplies merchant in Burgess Hill, Sussex, down the road from where I live.

Apparently, a few bearded Asian males of fighting age buying a ton of AN is a profile that didn't arouse suspicion.

He didn't accumulate it, he bought it in a oner from an agricultural supplies merchant in Burgess Hill, Sussex, down the road from where I live.

Apparently, a few bearded Asian males of fighting age buying a ton of AN is a profile that didn't arouse suspicion.

"Yeah, you disguised yourself as a terrorist!"