Nutter is Jumping 2,400 feet and land with no chute deployed.

I've always been a member of the "why on earth leave a perfectly airworthy aircraft before it lands on the ground" brigade.

This gentleman intends to jump 2,400 feet in a bird like suit and fly himself down onto a pile of cardboard boxes without deploying his parachute.

What do you think. Has he given his last ever TV interview? It's a gloriously sunny day on which to die?

Or, do you think he's got a chance or even think it will be a breeze?

It's taking place around 1pm today near henley in Oxfordshire. Sky news will be showing it.

My fingers are crossed that he's not going to kill himself but, a fatality seems to me to be a distinct possibility!

Here's a link to the Sky News report: Wingman: British Stuntman Gary Connery To Skydive Without Parachute | Strange News | Sky News

Can I get in nice and early and nominate this chap for this year's Darwin Awards?

P

PrinceAlbert

A friend of mine is an Army parachute jumper. He's there at the moment, and involved in someway. He posted this pic on his facebook about 45 mins ago.

545824_10150916588145688_658120687_9980795_791646530_n.jpg

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
He'll hit the pile of boxes at 60mph. Stunt men do this all the time. The only real danger is if he misses the pile of boxes.

I wonder what speed he will be doing on arrival.

Doh. 60Mph as noted above.

Has this thread not been done before?

Theoretically the jump sounds perfectly ok.

Not that I'm in a hurry to follow suit.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Jumping out of a perfectly good aircraft and using a parachute is daft enough, but this.....................:clown: :skull:

P

PrinceAlbert

He got it down to 240 feet yesterday... He's doing several practices throughout the day, and the live drop will be some time this afternoon

Who's that blokey who jumps off high things in a flying squirrel suit?? He's entertaining to watch!!

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
going by that pic he intends to plow into it unless they are going to raise the box pile a bit, I reckon its doable.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Human terminal velocity in freefall is about 180 mph.

A bird suit will cut this down considerably, but its still a substantial velocity. In additions, there will be two components to his speed: horizontal and vertical. So he'll hit the boxes traveling at (say) 60 mph vertically, and 60 mph horizontally.

I make this a combined speed of about 85 mph or about 125 feet a second.

I wouldn't fancy hitting anything - even a huge stack of mattresses at that speed.

Wordsmith

Jeb Corliss has several of his exploits in a 'squirrel suit' scattered around U-Tube and pretty awesome they are as well. I'd be likely to trust his judgement. Is he exiting an aircraft or a helio? The latter can be positioned more accurately in respect to the target, however the former will give him instant 'working air' to act on, however I've never jumped such a type of suit. Good luck to him. Can I claim his sponsor's Rolex if he doesn't make it?

Keep danger in parachuting. Keep the myth alive......... that's my motto ( albeit from an armchair after awift half in the Traf )

Human terminal velocity in freefall is about 180 mph.

A bird suit will cut this down considerably, but its still a substantial velocity. In additions, there will be two components to his speed: horizontal and vertical. So he'll hit the boxes traveling at (say) 60 mph vertically, and 60 mph horizontally.

I make this a combined speed of about 85 mph or about 125 feet a second.

I wouldn't fancy hitting anything - even a huge stack of mattresses at that speed.

Wordsmith
The book used to quote 120mph after 15 secs ( frog position > earth) but what a few mph among friends on such a day. You can hit 180mph in a vertical head down position. I'm guessing that his exit altitude will allow him a short period of time in the 'track' position before 'flaring' ie head up, very wide spread body attitude, then last minute tuck, possibly rotating onto his back.

The_Duke

LE
The book used to quote 120mph after 15 secs ( frog position > earth) but what a few mph among friends on such a day. You can hit 180mph in a vertical head down position. I'm guessing that his exit altitude will allow him a short period of time in the 'track' position before 'flaring' ie head up, very wide spread body attitude, then last minute tuck, possibly rotating onto his back.
That's OK then! Now you have put it like that it all seems so much more sensible!