Nuts jobs with guns

leveller said:
So I'm a nutcase, but if I fill in the paperwork, and pay the tax, I'm good to go? LOL
Heheh, well, the BATF usually sends someone around to talk to your neighbors, your old school teacher, your boss, as well as checking your military service record (if you have one) and check the blotter to see if you have ever had a brush with the law. Legally owned automatic weapons have only been used in a crime one time since the start of this program (in the 1930s I believe) and that crime was committed by a law officer.
That is not to say that there are not illegally owned automatic weapons floating around, but most of them are small arms, not too many illegal crew served ones out there.

Not sure what worries me more- the child-sized targets or the fact that the range owner looks and sounds like Gomer Pile, USMC. 8o

crabs,
That's darkest Kentucky for ya. Kenny could give fark all about what people think.
And yup we really do sound like that. ;)

Brew_Time

War Hero
F-kinnel, get me on the next flight to that place. That was orgasmic. Reminds me of NI training down at Hythe and Lydd.

BT.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Jussus ! They never gave us miniguns on NITAT.

Seadog

ADC
Crabtastic wrote
Not sure what worries me more- the child-sized targets or the fact that the range owner looks and sounds like Gomer Pile, USMC.
Gomer Pyle is in good company considering who the presenter is. Hooorah!

USAF_Odd_Ball said:
Higround said:
How the hell can you own a minigun or for that matter any other kind of fully automatic machine gun. Note I said machine gun and not rifle.

How would you get a licence and what would your reason be???

Er, I need a minigun in case, er, the Russians invade???
You don't have to give any reason. It is more like the Govt. has to show WHY you can't own one.
If your state of residence allows it you can own one. To purchase a transferable machine gun, you must meet certain requirements (generally the same as when you purchase another gun), fill out special paperwork (called a 'form 4'), and pay a $200, one-time, transfer tax. Every time a machine gun is transferred, the $200 tax must be paid-- usually by the purchaser.
Non Firearms dealers can only own weapons made prior to May, 1986.

The steps to take to purchase a transferable machine gun are:

Find a dealer locally who can assist you in all phases of the transfer. This should go beyond helping you fill out the paperwork: they should help you locate the gun if it isn't in stock and allow you to shoot the gun while your paperwork is being processed by the BATF (Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms). It will usually take 4-6 weeks for the dealer to get the gun from another dealer if they don't already have it in stock (due to BATF paperwork delays).

Get your fingerprints (either by a police dept. or by a qualified fingerprinter, two imprints are needed) and two passport sized pictures taken. These will be used to perform a comprehensive criminal background check on you.

Have your local dealer help you fill out an "Application for Tax Paid Transfer And Registration Of Firearm" for, known as a "form 4".

You must have the signature of the Chief Law Enforcement (CLEO) officer that has jurisdiction over the municipality in which you live on the form 4. This could be the City Chief or the County Sheriff, for example. This is usually not a problem-- in machine gun friendly states.

The form 4, CLEO signature, 2 fingerprint cards, 2 pictures, and a $200 check (your one-time transfer tax) must all be mailed to the BATF and an approved tax stamp returned before you may take possession of the gun. This may take anywhere from 2 to 5 months.

You cannot take the weapon across state lines without prior written BATF approval, and it must be stored in BATF approved conditions.

Most of the people on the vid are Class III firearms dealers, they can own missile launchers if they want to.
Not that much different in principal to getting a Firearm Certificate here - except that here, even when you've got the dertificate you're still barred from owning practically everything apart from a bolt action rifle or a shotgun.

SlimeyToad

War Hero
Question for USAF_Oddball, out of curiosity more than anything.

Can non-US citizens on long term visas, i.e. 2 year Exchange Visas, legally own firearms for self / property protection purposes?

If this varies from state to state, I'll be specific, asking about FL.

SlimeyToad said:
Question for USAF_Oddball, out of curiosity more than anything.

Can non-US citizens on long term visas, i.e. 2 year Exchange Visas, legally own firearms for self / property protection purposes?

If this varies from state to state, I'll be specific, asking about FL.
If I read the statutes right, you are allowed to own/possess a firearm if you get a hunting permit, easy enough in Florida. If you are a legal non-immigrant alien, you are entitled to own/possess one.

You might have to do a little digging to find the exact statute. Florida allows what we call "varmint" hunting, things like rats, starlings, crows, nutria, coyotes, etc. which have no official season,.

http://www.vrolyk.org/guns/alien-laws.html

Federal Issues:

In general, non-immigrant aliens are forbidden to possess any firearms or ammunition. But there is a big exception for a legal alien who:

...is in possession of a hunting license or permit lawfully issued in the United States

(See Title 18, USC Chapter 44, Section 922, part (y)(2) for details.)

Green-card holders and immigrant aliens who do not yet have their green card are both okay under federal law, although many people (including gun dealers, law enforcement officers, etc.) are not aware of the distinction or the hunting license exception, and erroneously think that either you have a green card, or you can't have guns.

Also, non-citizen cannot purchase a firearm from a federally licensed firerams dealer unless they have been a resident of their state for 90 days. So, no, tourists on short visits cannot walk into guns stores to get "protection" during their trip. Sorry. (I've been asked that multiple times.)

SlimeyToad

War Hero
Thanks for the info.

I can understand about visitors on Visa Waiver scheme not being able to own firearms but was thinking more along the lines of someone who is in FL for 2 years on a working exchange visa, i.e. living, working, possessing state driving licence, renting property, paying taxes, etc.

From what you're saying, if a hunting permit was held then an individual could (theoretically at least) legally possess a firearm, although it may take some doing convincing your local dealer that it was legal.

I may be going out to FL in the near future on such a visa and have absolutely no intention of purchasing a firearm but my curiosity as to whether I could or not has been aroused.

Thx again.

SlimeyToad,
If you have a green card and you qualify as a Florida state resident, then you can own a firearm, no problem.

Wench3000

War Hero
That Knobcreek shoot looked like mayhem. Writing a RASP for that must be a full time job.

USAF_Odd_Ball said:
SlimeyToad,
If you have a green card and you qualify as a Florida state resident, then you can own a firearm, no problem.
That about sums it up...You probably will have a hard time trying to get a concealed carry permit though.

In addition to the federal requirements Odd_Ball pointed to earlier Florida State Statute 790 applies.

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=Ch0790/titl0790.htm&StatuteYear=2006&Title=->2006->Chapter 790

Latest Threads