Nutrition & diet; the consequences

Two very salient points. There's a whole bunch of folk that simply can't accept that CICO is king. Something less evident when people are espousing the values of keto, carnivore, paleo, vegan etc is that there are other more long term health markers that should be taken into consideration. Sure, you can lose weight eating nothing but bacon slathered in butter providing you burn it off, though such nutrition can trash your lipid panel.
I’m not in line with what you’re saying here. If you follow keto it’s pretty good, but at some point you are going to need to reduce your calorie intake, and depending on what health issues you’re carrying, lighter is better, or perhaps the only health marker?

I’m not in line with what you’re saying here. If you follow keto it’s pretty good, but at some point you are going to need to reduce your calorie intake, and depending on what health issues you’re carrying, lighter is better, or perhaps the only health marker?

Ah, it wasn't addressed at you specifically, though rather a general observation of a sizeable percentage of people that think being in ketosis negates energy balance i.e. you can go weapons free on bacon and butter because they genuinely believe that 'only carbs makes them fat'. And I get there are people not following a ketogenic diet to lose weight, though feel they simply function better adhering to such nutrition.

Hope that's clearer.

Ah, it wasn't addressed at you specifically, though rather a general observation of a sizeable percentage of people that think being in ketosis negates energy balance i.e. you can go weapons free on bacon and butter because they genuinely believe that 'only carbs makes them fat'. And I get there are people not following a ketogenic diet to lose weight, though feel they simply function better adhering to such nutrition.

Hope that's clearer.
It is mate and I was that man, up until about a year ago. It's a very easy trap to fall into, especially if moderation isn't your thing (certainly not mine). I am a firm believer that we can live without carbs, but they taste great and are found in beer.

I wish I'd caught this thread earlier. Don't know how I missed it. I've always been a big foodie, but in the past I'd burn everything off through the amount of training and exercise I did.

After I retired the exercise levels dropped off but the foodie stuff didn't so I'd gain weight, hovering around 78 kilos at 5ft 7 inches. So every now and again I would go off on a mad physical regime for a few weeks and the weight would drop off again.

Age and the odd injuries mean I'll never run 29 minutes for the 10k again, or 2 hours 25 minutes for the Marathon. But I can still walk the hills for 4 or 5 hours, and jog 5 to 10 ks when I need to.

However, recently I bumped into someone I hadn't seen for a while. Last time I saw them they were turning into a bit of a porker. But on this occasion they were looking lean and mean.

As it turns out they were on the 16:8 fasting programme. Last meal at 6pm, no food for 16 hours. Reduced Carbs, more protein and healthy fats. Simple and effective.

So I've gone down the same route with zero to low carbs, high protein, plus fats.

So far so good, four weeks in and I've gone from 78 kilos to 71 kilos. I had a banging headache on the first day only. No problems since.

Taking a high dose Turmeric & Piperine plus Ginger supplement at night with main meal. Plus cod liver oil capsules to keep the bowels moving.

Typical meal at the moment consists of:-

Cottage Cheese
Chicken or fish (Sardines etc)
Broccoli pan fried in butter
Poached eggs
Avocado Pear
Almonds
Romaine Lettuce Leaves
1 x glass of Coconut Water

Anything cooked is cooked in Butter, Kerrygold from Grass Fed cattle.
Zero alcohol except 1 or two glasses of wine at the weekend.

It's a lot easier than I thought and will keep it up until I feel I have reached a plateau.

Looking forward to seeing the display on the scales hitting 69 kilos.

Diet.
I'm eating and drinking what I fancy when I fancy it.

I'm going to die one day after all so I may as well enjoy it while I can.

Genetics plays a big part too.
I'm a twin my brother's vegan, I'm very much not.
Have completely different jobs, similar hobbies but you couldn't separate us in a line up.

I've made some big changes to my diet recently and ended up losing 20kgs in 6 weeks. When I say big changes, I mean not eating much & constantly being hungry. I know that the BMI thing isn't that important a metric to be using but I've got from the red back into the green.

I'm not recommending this diet to anyone because I don't think it's important to lose weight if you don't want or need to.

However, I've made a few observations which I think are worth sharing & discussing.

The main observations are that my running times have dramatically improved. I've knocked 2.5mins off a 4k route that I do & my legs aren't sore afterwards. I sleep better when I go to bed hungry. Realising that I don't need to eat as much as I was, including snacking, in order to do what I need to.

However, when I'm hungry & properly out of energy I don't have the ability to think clearly or do anything spontaneously. It's made me realise a few things about nutrition that I hadn't before.

What have you learned about your nutrition that you wish you'd known before?
It gets much harder to maintain that kind of diet and lifestyle in winter. You may find that in a few months you'll crave more food. I'd have a plan for healthy comfort foods prepared in advance.

A good tip is to prepare and freeze batches of healthy soups and stews. Whenever you feel like snacking, you can dig in. It also helps to keep you hydrated (we often forget to drink enough in winter).

There's increasingly sound evidence backed up by the aforementioned SMEs that physical exercise namely 'cardio' has *little* impact on long term weight loss for the *majority* of us and that your metabolism will adjust accordingly when inactive ie 'slow down' to compensate. (20-30min on a cardio machine as opposed to marathons/ triathlons).

TL; DR CICO > all else for sustained weight loss.

However, you should continue to increase NEAT/ aerobic exercise to improve other health markers such as your lipids, insulin sensitivity, reduce CVD etc.

BarcelonaAnalPark

LE
Book Reviewer
My wife's nickname for me at the moment is "skinny tramp" which is a bit of a self-own considering I was having to wear her trousers for a few weeks as I had nothing that fit me even remotely closely.

I've got my run times down even further & have finally got my own trousers (32") so it all seems to be going well. I'm at the top end of 12 stone now so closer to the BMI green zone.

I'm not sure how long I should be keeping this up though or how I should be maintaining my current weight. Sometimes I go from being hungry to being a bit dazed and confused through not having had enough food, which is obviously far from ideal.

My current routine is pretty much the 16:8 fasting routine described by @Club Swinger between Monday and Thursday, eating a mainly veggie diet. Friday night to Sunday night I eat the same meals as a person who enjoys life but without the snacking. Seems to be going alright but I should review myself at some point. I obviously don't see the same guy in the mirror that the people around me do, which disturbs me a bit.

You are what you eat. Ever heard of that before. I think it is 100% accurate.

Forget the veggies, full of carbohydrates. Something with a balance of protein and fats, oils and fibre. See picture below.
20210903_121057.jpg

BarcelonaAnalPark

LE
Book Reviewer
You are what you eat. Ever heard of that before. I think it is 100% accurate.

Forget the veggies, full of carbohydrates. Something with a balance of protein and fats, oils and fibre. See picture below.View attachment 603548
Cover the whole lot in Tabasco sauce & we're in business.

My diet is mainly homemade strawberry & mango smoothies & veggie curries. That *makes* me, er, smooth & curryish, I think.

Yokel

LE
You have way too much time on your hands!
Why did you set the BMR at 2000? Someone who is significantly overweight will carry far more muscle that you might imagine- they require more muscle to move the excess weight around.
I'm 74KG and my BMR measures out at about 1700cal.

How do you find out what your BMR is?

Cover the whole lot in Tabasco sauce & we're in business.

My diet is mainly homemade strawberry & mango smoothies & veggie curries. That *makes* me, er, smooth & curryish, I think.
Certainly makes your farts sound interesting let alone the smell. Unless of course you are of the SBD Brigade...

Last edited:

Issi

LE
I’ve lost 8kg in 2 months by using a ‘my fitness plan’ app to check what I’m eating.
It’s opened my eyes to little things, like one tortilla wrap is the same as 3 slices of wholemeal bread for example.
Portion sizes, no snacks and walking for 20-30 mins a day after dinner and I’m losing a pound a week without a huge amount of effort.
I’m off the booze which helps a lot.

My wife's nickname for me at the moment is "skinny tramp" which is a bit of a self-own considering I was having to wear her trousers for a few weeks as I had nothing that fit me even remotely closely.

And you just had to wear her bra as you had some saggy skin from losing weight so fast...

I lost 16 kg in 6 weeks, going from 106kg to 90kg. I'd been 106kg up to my first Afghanistan tour, dropped to 92kg by the time I got home, went back up to 106kg and stayed there. All I did was cut out gluten and dairy, completely, as well as caffeine. I'm still a big lager drinker but just drink gluten free lager, and make sure anything I do eat or drink is gluten and dairy free.
Now I'm at 88kg, I sleep a lot better (when not on facking shifts), my joints don't ache as much, and more importantly, all those clothes I have at the back of the wardrobe, now fit again as the washer has mysteriously unshrunk them all. I haven't started doing Phys yet, but that is this week, as I'm conscious of keeping my cardio healthy too.

To do it accurately you need to know how much muscle mass you have, there are other factors but essentially muscle mass generates BMR. I'm 74kg with 55kg of muscle mass, 3 of bone, the rest is 'stored energy'.
To answer your question, you need access to a machine that tells you this info. I work for a company that makes and sells such a machine, it calculates your BMR as part of the results.
You can get scales that will tell you fat mass BUT they can only measure the fat in your legs (unless they have handles as part of the electrical impedance circuit) so they are of limited use.
A good PT can use calipers to determine how much fat you have, take off about 3 or 4 kg for bone mass, the rest is muscle.
There are other way to figure it out, BodPod is one but that can be expensive to use.

Contact your nearest largest Holland & Barret Health Food Store. I found in in Chester, much bigger than the average H&B shop, more like a Superstore

They have a machine which measures your body composition, muscle mass, bone density and percentage body fat. It costs about a fiver and will give you all the stats you need including your BMR.

So basically everyone has reduced their calorific intake in some way or other, some have moved more, and lost weight - brill.

It's good that people have found the right version of it that works for them to make the lifestyle change needed.