Nursing Degree cadetship

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by Mr_d, Aug 8, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey people,
    I'm looking at going back to university to study nursing and im interested in a nursing sponsorship. Now before anyone tells me to pop down to the AFCO, I've been down there and I got told that the army doesn't do sponsorships for nursing and then got recommended to join the infantry. It says on the army website that they do do nursing sponsorships. I was wondering if anyone could help me by pointing me in another direction.
  2. A bare-faced lie.. although its not a sponsorship as more of a prolonged trade training. The 3 year degree programme runs at DSCHS out of Birmingham City University and starts every Sept, with a concurrent diploma programme starting every April.

PM me if you need any further details

3. when does the diploma course stop as i know it is going to degree level only at some point?
  4. 2012 i believe
  5. May be even later than 2012. The Dean at BCU is not sure himself yet, we've also not made our minds up about how a degree only training programme will impact the Army as it may deprive us of many of our best students, ie those who do not have the quals to start a degree, but convert their diploma later.
    There is also an emerging Military Nurse Bursary programme, which may just catch on! More to follow!
  6. oooo, would it be worth waiting for a few years for the degree level instead of the diploma?
  7. I don't know if it's the same thing, but there is the option to commission direct from nurse training now. We have a 2Lt in our place who did it. You attend AOSB then do your degree at civi uni. Once you qualify you attend Sandhurst and are posted as a 2Lt. It's a bit strange having an officer on the ward who is at exactly the same level as the newly qualified privates, but there you go.

It's probably the cadetship thingy that Karbiner was referring to.

Don't know if you get paid while doing the degree though.