Nurses to make life and death decisions

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by amazing__lobster, Oct 27, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml;jsessionid=H5IVZETBRUHFFQFIQMGSFFWAVCBQWIV0?xml=/news/2007/10/27/nurse127.xml

2. Now this raises an interesting point. Has it been made so that nurses can authorise a DNAR (Do Not Attempt Resuscitation) order solely on the basis of the 'living will' (i.e. if the patient requests it) or have they been given equal authority with consultants and GPs to write a DNAR on clinical grounds without patient consent?

The former is acceptable, I don't think the latter is.

3. Indeed - I'm pretty much on the fence at the moment.

Surely the nurses work too closely with the patients to make decisions like this? As in, if a nurse is working closely alongside a patient she does not like, it would probably be difficult for her to seperate that from making a professional decision?

Also, I know the standard of doctors varies, but I've met some nurses who probably wouldn't even be able to finish a degree in media studies - so not sure they should be allowed this amount of power.

4. Changing demographics and medical advances will mean increasing numbers of elderly patients who are expensive to care for and slow to die.

Just a bit of pre-emptive back door euthanasia intended to become routine at ward level......

5. Well I hope this is just some more Torygraph spin, as my first and hopefully last encounter with an over promoted nurse (Nurse Practitioner), nearly killed me.

6. Let's see (if indeed this is true) how this stands legally. Will a nurse be deemed to have the education and experience by which to determine life or death?

7. It's an interesting one. Last time I was in hospital a Dr came in to have a look at me, totally ignored the nurse that was there, looked at some notes and then had to ask the Nurse why he was there.

There are far more brilliant nurses than sh*t ones and don't forget that an F Grade nurse will often have way more experience than an SHO.

T C

8. I think you're right, and I don't like the idea of a nurse having the right to kick my bucket.

If this is allowed give it another year and this government will allow the cleaners to make the decision.

9. They kill enough patients with simple, sloppy, clinical practice. (Hand washing...)

This can only enhance their value in their own eyes and take them further away from the actual job they should be doing which is wiping arrses in a correct and timely manner

10. Theres been too many KILLER nurse stories in the press over the last few years and if this comes in could lead to more being put under increasing pressure. The only way this could work properly is first that the Senior Nurses are in the majority of wanting it (not the NHS suits/ministers decision). Then secondly they are given the correct training, financial incentive (in line of the doctors) then ultimately the back up they deserve. As Biccies as said the legal side is going to be intreging in this world of the No Win,No Claim vultures out there, nurses have a big enough role to play with out extra pressures.

11. Surely they would anyway, and would not be all they needed? I don't it's going to be your average inexperienced/Ward nurse doing this.

T C

12. Nurses shouldn't have to make this descision. End of.

They should be concentrating on looking after their patients to the best of their ability, and putting them at ease. Not eyeing the bed up for it's next customer.

If a patient has asked not to be resussed, or has nominated a person to make this descision, their request can be placed on the notes by a doctor.

Nurses are to close to the patients, or should be, to make these choices.

13. It will be. We have so many inexperienced nurses working as ward sisters now because all the more experience have been turned into management or practitioners and don't work the wards.

14. That is the HCA's job I'm afraid.

15. Hey, go easy with the 'no win, no claim' vultures comment. If this malarky kicks off, I've just seen what's paying for my first Ferrari.

Ambulance chasing? Where's my trainers?