Nurses (in the field) questions

Thank you for the replies.

Im glad the lack of A levels shouldn’t be much of a problem, and all the info given so far has been very encouraging.

I am going to give the QARANC a call tomorrow (closed today darn it!) and have a word. I am actually getting rather excited about all this.

Hi all, me again :p

I’ve gave the QARANC a call. They said the next batch of intakes isn’t until August next year (I will have missed the August 08 intake by the time everything goes through).

Does anyone know if this will mean I need to knock around civvie street for another 15 month or is there some way of joining then picking up the training when it pops round?
Im guessing the answer is ill need to wait on the outside until then, but the Army is a whole other world so thought it was worth asking.

VarSity said:
Hi all, me again :p

I’ve gave the QARANC a call. They said the next batch of intakes isn’t until August next year (I will have missed the August 08 intake by the time everything goes through).

Does anyone know if this will mean I need to knock around civvie street for another 15 month or is there some way of joining then picking up the training when it pops round?
Im guessing the answer is ill need to wait on the outside until then, but the Army is a whole other world so thought it was worth asking.
I'm sorry to hear that mate. Ah well it's a long hard road to become a nurse so a few extra months wont make a difference if its what you really want to do.

My suggestions would be:

See if you can get in for the Sept 08 intakes at a civvy uni. I'm not sure if you still can you'll need to contact NMAS (Nursing and Midwifery Council). If this isnt possible, many Uni's have a May intake so try for May 09. However this is so close to August you might as well train with the army.

I'm doing my training in a civvy uni hoping to join after I qualify, I wanted to have that student life before I chuck it all away. Perhaps consider that also. :wink:

Whether you deice on the army or a May 09 intake at a civvy uni I think what you should do is find a job as a Healthcare Assisstant at your local NHS trust, as this will be a massive insight into what nursing is all about, and will be a HUGE benefit to your university application. Afterall you might not like it. You have to really want to be a nurse to make it through the 3 years (the dropout rate is huge), so just make sure it's what you really want to do.

See you in the QA's.

z-layrex said:
I'm sorry to hear that mate. Ah well it's a long hard road to become a nurse so a few extra months wont make a difference if its what you really want to do.

My suggestions would be:

See if you can get in for the Sept 08 intakes at a civvy uni. I'm not sure if you still can you'll need to contact NMAS (Nursing and Midwifery Council). If this isnt possible, many Uni's have a May intake so try for May 09. However this is so close to August you might as well train with the army.

I'm doing my training in a civvy uni hoping to join after I qualify, I wanted to have that student life before I chuck it all away. Perhaps consider that also. :wink:

Whether you deice on the army or a May 09 intake at a civvy uni I think what you should do is find a job as a Healthcare Assisstant at your local NHS trust, as this will be a massive insight into what nursing is all about, and will be a HUGE benefit to your university application. Afterall you might not like it. You have to really want to be a nurse to make it through the 3 years (the dropout rate is huge), so just make sure it's what you really want to do.

See you in the QA's.
Cheers m8ty.

As for the student life... ive lived with the scrots for 4 years so ive had that... about time I did some actual work I think lol

VarSity.

If you do your training at a civvy uni then I believe its possible to consider getting a bursary from the army. I think its possible to choose between assistance for either soldier or officer entry.
If you go officer I believe you'd join as a a Lt rather than a Capt because you wouldn't have the two years post reg experience.
I didn't go for either of these routes myself so all I can do is point you back to the QA recruiting to check the detail but gotta be worth a look.

My problem is I have financial commitments that would still need to be met whilst I was training, so the idea of till earning a salary was appealing.

I am not 100% how bursaries work but I will ask the questions and see what details I can get.

Latest Threads