Nurses (in the field) questions

VarSity said:
Given I am a civvie and not a trained Nurse, does the QARANC give the training themselves or is it at a civilian hospital/University? There seems to be conflicting info on their webby that says it’s a civilian Uni, but then says you get trained by military personnel as well as civilian.
All correct, there are QA lecturers in the civvie uni as well as civvie lecturers.

Also what happens in the off time from Uni? I happen to know a fair few students and they all seem to get 5 months or so off. Is this time spend sharpening soldiering skills?
Clinical placements, Exercises, Adventure training, block leave. They may be in a civvie uni but they are still in the Army and the army doesnt stop during uni hols.

VarSity said:
Also what happens in the off time from Uni? I happen to know a fair few students and they all seem to get 5 months or so off. Is this time spend sharpening soldiering skills?
Students on Healthcare Programmes within Universities dont have the whole of the Summer Break off unlike some other degree / diploma pathways, Nursing et al students continue with their clinical experience during this time. I have known many 'students' who turn up on day one and are shocked to discover they dont get the whole of the summer off! Should have done a sociology degree! Shame...

I am actually very happy about that. I couldnt deal with having months off Uni and nothing to do. I think I would go brain dead!!

VarSity said:
I am actually very happy about that. I couldnt deal with having months off Uni and nothing to do. I think I would go brain dead!!
Well your joining the right trade to be brain dead, just look at feelingsleepy...

underthevale said:
VarSity said:
Well your joining the right trade to be brain dead, just look at feelingsleepy...
LOL we shall see (BTW love the avatar).

How competitive are the placements for Nurse training? And any tips how I can improve my chances? (Basically who do I nee to blow? :p)

if youre female then i am head of the nurse selection boards, if youre a bloke then speak to sluicey

Varsity, you will find nurses deployed on the ground as part of the Med Sqns. (Not just with 16 CS). I cannot speak for recent Telic tours, but on Herrick for the last 2 tours, nurses have been on the ground in a variety of locations and roles - sometimes as med det comds. Kajaki, Now Zad, Fob Rob and Sangin DC have all been headed up by nurses. Nurses have patrolled and been involved in contacts. If you are joining as a student, concentrate on getting through your nurse training first and worry about field jobs later. Your first tour will almost certainly be in a Fd Hosp. As you gain in both military and professional experience, you may develop the skill set that will make you a suitable candidate for this role.

You'll go to what used to be called UCE in Birmingham, dont know what its called now though. This is a civvie uni but the Defence school of health care studies works out of here. You'll have both civillian and military lecturers. Your "off time" should be spent doing placements or gaining personal development somewhere. You are still only really entitled to the same annual leave as everyone else in the army but it is, or was, possible to slip through the loop. Its a great way to get your nursing qualification. You'll leave uni debt free as you are on full pay all the way through and if you dont abuse broad street like I did (the big drink spot) you may even save some money. However I would say that you must keep in mind the payback at the end. I believe it is four years now and with the current operational tempo you are almost certain to end up in a hot/colld desert somewhere. If that doesnt bother you, then crack on and good luck.

Its the same place but called BCU now.

Sluice Dweller, shes a nutter and I'm an ODP after a freebie, youd be better off sticking a dress on and some lipstick and taking your chances with Karabiner (He may see the funny side of it although he may also break your arm off and beat you to death with it).

Im going to make you wear a little dress and hurt you...

Ill send Sluice Dweller a pm of me in my little blue pants, should get the job done.

I don't think you will be getting 5 months off from uni! My friend who is training to be a Radiographer and is in the army only gets 7 weeks off in total a year, 2 of which she uses to go away with the army in the summer.

Leviticius "Students on Healthcare Programmes within Universities dont have the whole of the Summer Break off unlike some other degree / diploma pathways, Nursing et al students continue with their clinical experience during this time. I have known many 'students' who turn up on day one and are shocked to discover they dont get the whole of the summer off! Should have done a sociology degree! Shame..."

yes exactly!

not to mention the lectures are Mon- Fri 9-5, not 4 hours of lectures a week like most Uni courses. And then of course when you arn't in Uni its working in a hospital full time whilst having assignments and exams to study for!

All sounds fair to me.

I honestly couldn’t deal with a Uni course that was only 8 hours a week or so. Full days are much better for me, one thing I hate is being bored and having nothing to do... Hence wanting a career change lol

kimmy84 said:
Leviticius "Students on Healthcare Programmes within Universities dont have the whole of the Summer Break off unlike some other degree / diploma pathways, Nursing et al students continue with their clinical experience during this time. I have known many 'students' who turn up on day one and are shocked to discover they dont get the whole of the summer off! Should have done a sociology degree! Shame..."

yes exactly!

not to mention the lectures are Mon- Fri 9-5, not 4 hours of lectures a week like most Uni courses. And then of course when you arn't in Uni its working in a hospital full time whilst having assignments and exams to study for!
What Uni did you go to Kimmy? When I was at Uni we had many days were we went in for only a few hours then the rest of the day was for going to the pub.... I mean studying!!!

Most nurses I knew had loads of reading days.

VarSity.
I'm doing my nurse training at the moment at bcu (UCE as it used to be) with the army. You go to uni like with all the other students and complete the same course in the same way they do. But you'll get much more support from the military staff there than the other students can expect. The military staff teach lectures the same as other lectures and generally look after you to make sure you pass. You'll find yourself in uni most days although you will get the occassional study day in between occassionally. You'll find (or at least I have so far) that the week when assignments are in tend to be pretty free to allow you get them written so a bit of self disciplin is required to ensure you get the best out of your time.
Half your time will be placements, ie on the ward etc and that is a normal working week (shifts etc). You get normal leave like the rest of the army and the nonmilitary nursing students dont get much more anyway. You'll probably get away on an exercise whilst your there and have the chance to choose something healthcare related to do during your CAP placement ( an extra placement period of your choosing) and this is the bit where the other students get extra time off but you have to find somthing to do.
There are now PT sessions during the week and military training evenings to do to try and reduce skill fade (whilst in uni, not when on placements) so there is plenty to occupy your time with. Its definatly not like my first degree elsewhere where I had a maximum of eight hours a week at its peek!!! Try and think of it as a full time work, though with addition of a great social life added on as well.
I would whole heartedly recommend this route to getting your training, plus the option of a more diverse working life afterwards - though others are better placed here to talk about that.

Best of luck
MrNurse

That all sounds great.

Does anyone know how harsh the education requirements are? I only really have GCSE's (worked ever since), will this be a major problem?
The webby says they take 5 GCSE's as a minimum, does anyone know someone who actually did this route with just GCSE's to back them up?

Also will being a bloke be a help or a hindrance do you think?

VarSity
I'll take an educated guess based on what happened with me. The more qualifications you have obviously the better but ultimately quals get you through the door to the nursing board where you can take the chance to shine and show them how much of an asset you're going to be. The board is very important as it isn't simply a case of rubber stamping based on previous qualifications. Knowing as much about the the job and the training and nusing in general as well as good reasons why you want to be a nurse specifically in the army are the way to do this.

As for being a bloke, not sure if this makes any difference or not. There are more girls around here but plenty of blokes as well which I guesss says more about who applies than any bias at the board.

Latest Threads