Nurses (in the field) questions

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by VarSity, May 7, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am trying to get as much info as possible with regards to the different roles I am interested in. I have found out a fair amount about CMT’s, and I understand the basic role of a Nurse.
    What I cant seem to find (and I have run searches) is the roles Nurses may or may not have in the field.

Whilst I am aware they may work in field hospital, are nurses ever deployed in a more CMT style role? I.E Deployed with the patrols to handle battlefield casualties and get them back to the field hospital?

I like the idea of the education behind the Nurse role, but I also like the idea of the CMT role being more in the thick of it.

2. did you look really hard?

Google QARANC

or go on line for this:

QA Nurses guest chat
    Queen Alexandra's Royal Army Nursing Corps will be hosting a Guest Chat on Monday 19th May 2008 from 1200hrs to 1700hrs.

using this

Deployed CMTs have a great deal to do, however for the other 90% of their time I wouldnt call tentage 'in the thick of it'.

3. Had a look at the QARANC webby, but it seemed to lean towards Nurses being in the actual field hospital and not actually attached to the patrols.

I seem to lean toward being attached to the patrols more than living in the Field hospitals.

4. probably not going to happen as a QA, youll have to put up with the same rotation of postings as the rest:

MDHU, CS/GS Med Regt, Field Hosp, Med centre etc (not in that order obviously) and have the clinical and field postings as and when MCM Div see fit.

5. Ok excellent.

Thank you for your time.

6. VarSity...

Nurses are on the ground now in hot dusty places. As long as you meet the criteria of being fairly fit, BATLS trained and not a complete mong you could find yourself on patrol. Try for places like 16 CS MED REGT and you will probably have more luck.

You have to remember that you are a nurse first (if you choose that route) and most of them find themselves doing nursey things in a field hospital. CMTs are very good at what they do and it is their job to be on the ground but it doesn't mean you will not find the odd nurse or two on patrol.

To increase your chances as a nurse who wants to go on the ground look for field medicine courses and get posted to places where that type of stuff happens.

Courses: Black Serpent, P Coy, BATLS, Aviation medicine, Tropical medicine etc etc.

Places: Belize, Brunei, 16 CS MED REGT, MSW, MSU, Infantry Med centres.

7. Although the primary role of the nurse is carried out in MDHUs and field hospitals it is not their only tasking. Im just completing a tour where I was present as clinical lead on ground operations and my colleagues were also participating in ops. I also have a few friends who have just returned from another theatre who were constantly out on the ground. Its a strange old world because the roles are so diverse. One minute you are working in an NHS environment and then a short time later you are in the desert on the ground. However I also know of guys who havn't deployed. Good luck with whatever you do.

8. Saw a thing on TV not so long back where nurses, doctors etc flying around in the back of a chinook (at night in afghanistan) picking up casualties and then working on them in the chinook en route to the hospital (just like a big air ambulance). No combat element to it just working very very hard in a cold noisy cramped stressful environment.
    May have been RAF nurses or Army or both (dont know) but doing amazing work all the same.

9. This is called Medical Emergency Response Team (MERT) and can be Army or RAF but mainly RAF. In the Army, Operating Department Practitioners (ODPs) are preferred over Nurses by the anaesthetists.

10. UTV great attitude.

In my 16 years of perioperative care. Anaesthetists prefer to work with people who can do the job. Skill set being important. Title not necessarily.

I know that not all 'nurses' who say they can, can. But the same can be said of ODPs as well.

Honestly....

11. Go pick your teddy up! Your reading between the lines when there is nothing there to get upset over. I didn't slate you or the nursing trade but it is very rare to find an anaesthetic nurse in the Army who is BATLS trained. Even now it is rare that you find an ODP on MERT due to the RAF. I was clearly stating that Anaesthetists would sooner work with someone who has a good anaesthetic knowledge which 99% of nurses in the Army don't have.

Can I ask the old and bold just how many peri-operative nurses there are in the Army and how many of them spend equal amounts of time in all three areas rather than just scrub?

12. The nurses where deploying on Ops with the med sqn on Telic 10. If you are part of or attached to any med sqn then be prepared to deploy on the ground.

13. touched a nerve there I think!
    I take it that you arent a Reg. otherwise you would know that army anaesthetists prefer to work with ODPs, because in the Regular Army we dont have dedicated anaesthetic nurses.
    Now, please pick up your teddy and go and see a dentist about that exposed nerve.

14. Be up to date please. Are we not all 'theatre practitioners'?

Opinions are like ****sholes we all seem to have them. But I admit...I bit.

'blushing'

FS Reg Army xx

15. theatre practitioners? not in the Army were not. Couple of bods on the perioperative practitoners course but its not a trade yet, they will have to amalgamate the ODP & scrub nurse trades and rebadge to QA(?)

If the hairstyle on your avatar is like yours in real life then I know who you are. (although youre not her)