Nurse To Doctor Advice

Discussion in 'Officers' started by Sneaky_Barstard, Apr 26, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Gents

I have a young chap who is currently a nurse, who I believe has what it takes to be a Doctor, sadly he is not quite so convinced. He is a top notch nurse and also a good soldier, but alas he is also stuck in a bit of rut. He has the capabilty to commission, and from what he tells me was intending to do so in a year or so.

The problem lies in the fact that this chap is quite rigtly being realsitic, he has a house, a mortage and a wife and would not be able to just hand in is notice and then spend 4 years at med school. Even with Army sponsorship he would not be able to financally meet the costs of his mortage, and the cost of living for 4 years.

I am aware that as Officers we are entitlited to a years unpaid sabaticle, I'm just wondering if this is true for OR's. On top of this, I am wondering would he lose his old pension and would his break in service result in recommencing on the new pension scheme? He's served about 10 years now, so obviously pension rights are an issue for him.

Its such a shame as I know this chap, and have worked with him, he'd make a bloody good Doctor, and would be a fine additional to the RAMC. I'm half tempted to contact the ruecruiting team on his behalf but there is an issue of potentially making waves for this chap if does decide to remain a nurse in QARANC.

The advice I am primarily after is as follows. If he were to become a doctor would he have to leave the Army or could he just go onto an unpaid sebaticle until he had completed Foundation Year 1 and then apply for sponsorship?

Secondly as this guy is already a qualified nurse, and on a fairly substantial wage would he go back onto his old pay rate when he did commence his sponsorship? Also Would his pension rights still stand on the olf AFP 75 or would he have to transfer to the new scheme and lose out on his 10 years service and go onto in my humble opinion a far worse and less generous pension scheme?

I know it a lot to ask but I'm sure that someone out there may have some worldy advice for me so I can pass it onto him, this guy is more than deserving of any help we can give him, and i think he'd be a great doctor. Any advice i can give him might be able to convince him to make the jump to med school! Thanks for your help Ladies and Gents
  2. Yeah stop giving him aspirations. The guy realises whats open to him and chooses not to take them. Unless your going to dig deep and give him 4 years of med school in the UK then leave him to do it on his own if he wants it.

He's saying no for a reason - stop pushing the man, if he wants it he'll say, you know what your right...

And we'll blame you :p
  3. As a Doctor we give patients all the facts then let them make their own informed decision based on that information! This is the case here, I am not rail roading him, nor am I forcing him to make the transistion. I have however talked to him regarding this, he would like to make the "Jump" but feels its an untainable goal, my job is to give him more information to either support that or give him the chance at something new, and something he has expressed a desire for!!! Time spent in recce is time seldomn wasted!!!!!! But thanks for the comments D, lets keep them coming!

Many Thanks
  4. I'm sure he could fund his studies if he were to sign up to a nursing agency - the agency I work for (as a lowly HCA to fund my degree) pay nurses over £20s an hour... I've seen some agencies who pay upwards of £25 and they always to offer 12 hour shifts, too.

Sorry I cannot come up with more help (unless he decides he wishes to become a health psychologist!).
  5. Thanks Amazing Lobster, I take it your out in civvie st now? My chap is keen to stay on in the Army, not just for monetary gain but because he is a soldier at heart, plus pensions etc. Any more advice regarding his position? Its a tough one but an intresting one!!
  6. Yep - I'm an ex-Royal Engineer. I tried to transfer to the QA's whilst in (as a student RMN), but got turned down on medical grounds (eyesight). So now I'm studying for my undergrad, with a look to entering the medical profession as either a clinical or health psychologist.

I suggested the agency just as a way to fund himself, whilst at uni (although I once worked for a nurse who claimed to earn 55k a year whilst working for an agency in a forensic setting - so for some it's a gravy train). I'm sure the TA would provide him with the 'green fix' he is after - maybe he could even commision as a nurse, rather than join as a medical cadet.

Or maybe he could be posted to a TA unit, whilst he does his medicine degree? I once served with a guy whose father had trained as a physio whilst he was in the PT Corp - so I'm sure there must be something that could be done - assuming the Army is still short of medics.

Although above is just speculation on my part, I hope it has maybe given/inspired you with a few ideas.

7. Thanks A_L much appreciate the advice, its sounding promising!
  8. I'm rather with delinquent.

Being an excellent nurse does not mean you'll be an excellent doctor. I like to think I am a good doctor, but I have enough insight to know I wouldn't cut it as a nurse. There are different personality traits required.

Secondly, why do you think he'd be happier if he did go back to university? Especially if he doesn't think so!

Lastly, you say your "job is to give him more information to either support that or give him the chance at something new" - does that include persuading him that the grass is greener on the other side of a fence he cannot afford to climb?

Sometimes, I think I'd be happier if I jacked in medicine and went back to study law. But I can't afford it. Someone hanging around telling me how good it would be (or how good I'd be) as a lawyer doesn't make me feel more content as a doctor.

P.s. - since when was medical school only 4 years? If it is, that might explain some of the Foundation doctors I have working for me lately...
  9. Let me cheer you up FF. :D

10. Nice try, but it didn't work.

I'm a surgeon; I don't see the sun, more especially as the urology operating theatres don't have windows.

Dinner is always (when on call) out of a vending machine. The hospital canteen shuts at 5:30 (while I'm still in clinic). There are no clients taking me out to 4* restaurants.

When my boss says "We need this by tomorrow" it may mean not going home at all. And the consequences of not delivering might be an actual death rather than a metaphorical one.

In fact, one night and one weekend in every four, I can't go home. But I'm not paid to stay at the hospital either.

Being ill means more than not being able to walk or you're in hospital. It means you're actually too sick to get to hospital. This is because I work at a hospital.

My "office" doesn't close for holidays at all.

The fire alarm went off once. First no-one moved (they're always going off). Then everyone moved, except us. Why? We all smelt smoke, but there was a patient on the table and we (me, the anaesthetist and the theatre nurses) couldn't evacuate. Even though the corridor was on fire. That was scary. Oh, and it was a Sunday morning when "normal" people (and perhaps lawyers) wouldn't be at work at all.

Holidays can't be rolled over. And they don't pay them either. If you can't go, you lose them. And that happens *every* year.

And I'm paid less than any lawyer that does anything other than exclusively legal aid work.

Welcome to life in the NHS.
  11. Friendly_Fire: Right. I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night, half an hour before I went to bed, eat a lump of cold poison, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad would kill us, and dance about on our graves singing "Hallelujah."

Yellow_Devil: But you try and tell the young people today that... and they won't believe ya'.

Both: Nope, nope..