Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by Crusty(LE), Nov 13, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. While away on an expedition a few weeks ago, I managed to find enough props about to have a game of Nurdles.

The group I was with had never heard of it - yet I was playing it in the early eighties, most break times.

For the uninitiated; Nurdles (well the version I recall anyway), is a game of skill, whereby you atempt to knock a can off of the top of a pole (cut down 12 x12 pole is ideal) with a lump hammer. The pole is normally placed into soft ground, and the can placed on top; Compo cheese was always the favorite due to its weight, although a tin of beans can also be used.

Points are awarded as follows for an underarm throw from about 25 feet:

Ground thump (ie hammer lands on ground and shock of impact dislodges can) - 1 point

Shaft to pole (Shaft of hammer hits pole and dislodges can) - 2 Points

Head to pole (Head of hammer hits pole and dislodges can) - 3 Points

Shaft to Can (Shaft of hammer hits can directly and dislodges can) - 4 Points

Head to Can (or Nurdle!) Head to Can (Head of hammer hits can directly and dislodges can) - 5 Points

I'd be interested in any variations of details such as height of pole, weight of hammer, distance from pole etc....

Watch this space for more details of Army Nurdling Championships!!
  2. On exersise we just use vehicle CES items,
    2x shovels
    2x sledge hammers
    2x empty beer cans
    For a bit more exitement wait till its dark and use cylumes to mark the position of the equipment.
  3. Ah !! The nurdle has turned.

I first played it with shovels useless army issue, tins compo cheese and hammer lump heavy and short.

We used to play outside the camnet when non tac and under the cam net when tactical.
    Terms were slightly different - 1 point for a trembler
    2 points for shaft to shaft
    3 points for head to shaft
    4 points for shaft to tin
    5 points for a nurdle or head to tin.

We used to have a handicap system as well for the better players. This involved greater distance, left handed throwing, blindfold throwing and throwing with gloves on the wrong hands.

The good old days!!!
  4. We used a longer pitch almost cricket pitch size, a long handled sledgehammer and a dented compo tin on a shovel handle as the nurdle. The nurdle was defended by a batsman (armed with another shovel who would be blindfolded if he were gwarr). Between the nurdler (throwing the hammer) and the nurdle the defending team could opt to have a catcher (also to be blindfolded if gwarr). A sucessful catch put his team back in to nurdle, ie to score points. The game would finally end when no two men could stand, the unit had no shovels left, or in the event of a death (gwarrs excepted).
  5. A better use for the aforementioned Gwahs can be found by playing 'William Tell' Nurdles