Numerals on Medals, Whats the criteria?

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by dance_with_the_devil, Jun 25, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi Fellow Arrsers,

Can anyone tell me the criteria for wearing numerals on campaign medals?

I have served three Tours of Northern Ireland and two Tours of Cyprus etc.

Just wondering can numerals be mounted onto the above mentioned campaign medals for several consecutive Tours Of Duty etc?

Thanks in Advance

2. I believe numerals are for non queen headed medals ie UN ones
  3. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

GSM NI is as is, no numerals.
    UN Cyprus is a silver "2" worn on the ribbon but not on the medal/ribbon itself.
  4. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

ACSM applies for NI multiple tours etc.
  5. UN Medals can be fitted with silver numerals. The criteria is for the amount of time in theatre, not separate tours.

e.g if the qualifying criteria for the UN Medal is 90 days and you do 180days in one stint, then you can wear the '2' numeral. If you did one further tour of 90 days then you would wear '3' etc etc.

NATO Medals have the Bronze Numeral and is awarded for separate tours (unless anyone can tell me different).

The numerals are the same size for full size and miniature, although a bigger version of the Bronze numeral is sometimes available.

6. Thanks all,
    Much appreciated,
    Just wanted to clarify the criteria before parting with cash for said numeral.
    There seems to be much discussion on the subject of medals here on Arrse, especially the ISAF Medal.
    All good honest banter here, which i likey..;)

7. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Don't know about all UN medals, but UN Cyprus numerals were given per 6 month tour to Brits.
    IIRC some of the pads there on 2-3 year postings were only wearing 4's and 5's.