Numeracy & Literacy

I passed my N & L tests today got level 3 on both (which is a pass for Harrogate where i want to go) but ive got my BARB test next week and was just wandering, how much harder then the N & L is the BARB?

Thanks in advance
Stu

BARB is just about keeping a cool head - Nothing hard.

100% Worthwhile tip: Do it AS FAST AS you can.

Faster and accurate - you'll get good :)

I recommend you look at the revision booklt just to understand the questions.

It's questions like adding up and then taking it away from a total e.g. 50p £1.50 and 75p and then you have to see how much change you would have from a £5, Reading off graphs and 1 question is "Which clock says the time quarter past 2?", and thats halfway through the paper!. It doesn't matter how long you take it's not timed, so just take your time and also you have a calculator aswell. I found the literacy alot harder and i'm predicted a C in both
Good luck mate

stu.l said:
It's questions like adding up and then taking it away from a total e.g. 50p £1.50 and 75p and then you have to see how much change you would have from a £5, Reading off graphs and 1 question is "Which clock says the time quarter past 2?", and thats halfway through the paper!. It doesn't matter how long you take it's not timed, so just take your time and also you have a calculator aswell. I found the literacy alot harder and i'm predicted a C in both
Good luck mate
Lol. by the sounds i'll get ace pass.

stu.l said:
I've had a look at the BARB revision and it looks ok, its just the them bluddy F's i can't get the hang of.

Was my hardest too, as i said just go through as fast as possible and luck it.

stu.l said:
I got 79 on the BARB
not bad mate! what trade are you going to be joining ?

and by the way, I got 83 :p

and I also knew a guy who got 7 (yes, JUST seven)
He then tried for the navy (failed MISERABLY) and wanted to try for the RAF, but the recruiters wouldn't even let him near the afco place after that lot!

5.56mm said:
Is Level 3 higher than level 1? Because I got level 1.
It goes Entry Level EL1 (Fail)

in order
Passes are EL2, EL3, L1, L2,L3

stu.l said:
Erm not sure yet mate,going down the aco in a few weeks to discuss jobs etc......What trade did you go in for?.
Its not advisable going down on the ACO (Army Careers Officer)
however you can go down to the ACIO (Army Careers Information Office) :wink:

From another thread,
commonwealthsoldier said:
The_IRON said:
ben1985 said:
do you mean to pass iron? or is it just an assessment, my english is pretty good but my maths isn't very good really, surely they wont fail my application if i dont get the minimum on the maths bit will they?

even after i've got my enlistment date?

fill us in iron, you're the man in the know
I havent seen the new system with doing the basic skills after you passed selection so cant comment so best off speaking to your Recruiter. I would honestly say though you wouldnt have anything to worry about as when it was the old system I never had anyone who failed the numeracy and literacy and to prove how easy it was my then 10 year old daughter got Entry Level 3. Levels were EL1 (fail) then to pass the assessment used to be in order EL2, EL3, Level 1,L 2,L 3.

I knew lads who got around 30 on the BARB but still got EL3 on the basic skills test.

Like I said speak to your recruiter who will have up to date info.
Adult lit and num appears to be higher than EL1, 2 and 3s. In order of progession, EL1 , EL2, EL3, Adult L1 and Adult L2. (http://www.dfes.gov.uk/curriculum_numeracy/intro/nqf/)
http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums...order=asc/highlight=basic+skills/start=0.html

And the link referenced above:
http://www.dfes.gov.uk/curriculum_numeracy/intro/nqf/