Numeracy & literacy test consists of?

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by eliminator, Mar 14, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,

Topic says it all really, I've been told by the AFCO that there's a numeracy & literacy test I was just wondering what to expect from this, it's been a long time since I did much maths at school. Is this something I should be polishing up on my mental arithmetic for, or are we talking more of a sit down exam with a calculator like the one at selection?

My apologies if this has been covered I used the search feature but was unable to find anything on it, either that or I'm quite simply blind/stupid. :p

Thanks

2. Just had to wait a month to redo my test.... mental arithmatic is what you really need to work on, theres basic trig and pyth. but most is fractions and percentages aswell as a few distance/tim graphs. They give u a calculator but when i went back i realised that the first time i took the test i was taken 2 min to do a sunm on a calculator that i could do in my head in 10 seconds.

3. Go to WH Smith and get a Key Stage 3 revision book for maths.

Work through that and it should more than cover you for the tests I would suggest.

4. just out of interest, why did you have to redo your test?

5. wasn't you handed a sheet of paper by your recruiter explaining the sub topics of mathematics covered in the exam ... i've been given it 3 times aleady heh.

Maths was my worst subject at school, i scraped a C because my teacher gave me a boot up the ass, been working my way through the book suggested, still as dumb founded as i was 4 years ago when i sat the damn GCSE's.

6. I did well on the maths, average on the english though. You had to correct the gramatical errors in the sentecnes provided also match the correct word with its meaning and in the correct context, I think there was some comprehension questions too. Pretty easy stuff, just make sure you double check before you submit your answers.

7. I take it you get a scientific calculator if there's trig?

Also out of interest is it multiple choice like the selection one?

Thanks for the help guys. :)

8. I went in to my old high school and sat down for an hour with my old maths teacher - maybe you could do that?

9. LOL wouldn't work for me she would end up on her back. She was young and hot. :drool:

Hmm probably why i never learn't much in her class.

10. Mine's about 60, and fcuk me does he have a scary resemblance to Hitler.

Not just generically; hair, moustache etc, he REALLY looks like Hitler.

11. I didnt get the reqiured mark for the trade i wanted to do and instead of settling for my second choice i waited a month and redid my test.