Numbers and the Welsh.

#1
I bumped into an ol' mucker of mine in Elsmere Port the other day. Now i cant remember his mane but dhouted his last 2.
"Oi Fourteen" its me Twentynine haven't seen you for years!" And so we went on catching up on whats been going on, and we must've sounded like a pair of idiots talking in numbers, hows fiftyfive? did you hear about thirty six? and so it went on.
Now I was in a Welsh Battalion all Jones,Williams,Evans and Roberts as you could imagine, Now my question is do English Battalions use numbers in such a manner?
Only time i knew about it was when i was in basic with an few English blokes and there was a Jones from the PWRR and he was given his last 2 to be known by, however the SGT was an RRW man and as he said "I LIKE NUMBERS".

P.S. Numbers have been changed to protect identities!
 
#6
60 was the biggest crook in Maindy
 
#7
There used to be a lad known as 18.
Not because he had a common surname but because he had half his ear bitten off, i.e 18 months = ear and a half.
 
#10
llech said:
vvaannmmaann said:
I doubt this story.No Welshman can count to more than ten.
We can count to 24 with ALL our fingers and toes! :wink:
And I can do it in Fibonacci numbers
 
#14
llech said:
tropper66 said:
llech said:
vvaannmmaann said:
I doubt this story.No Welshman can count to more than ten.
We can count to 24 with ALL our fingers and toes! :wink:
And I can do it in Fibonacci numbers
Have to admit I had to google Fibonacci!
Show off! :D
The four years I spent in the Poly at Treforrest was not a complete waste of time then
 
#15
tropper66 said:
llech said:
tropper66 said:
llech said:
vvaannmmaann said:
I doubt this story.No Welshman can count to more than ten.
We can count to 24 with ALL our fingers and toes! :wink:
And I can do it in Fibonacci numbers
Have to admit I had to google Fibonacci!
Show off! :D
The four years I spent in the Poly at Treforrest was not a complete waste of time then
lol. give me strenght!
 
#16
richard.james said:
tropper66 said:
llech said:
tropper66 said:
llech said:
vvaannmmaann said:
I doubt this story.No Welshman can count to more than ten.
We can count to 24 with ALL our fingers and toes! :wink:
And I can do it in Fibonacci numbers
Have to admit I had to google Fibonacci!
Show off! :D
The four years I spent in the Poly at Treforrest was not a complete waste of time then
lol. give me strenght!
Compresive, tensile or shear, or you could mean physical, then there could be signal, explosive, and moral strength
 
#17
llech said:
I bumped into an ol' mucker of mine in Elsmere Port the other day. Now i cant remember his mane but dhouted his last 2.
"Oi Fourteen" its me Twentynine haven't seen you for years!" And so we went on catching up on whats been going on, and we must've sounded like a pair of idiots talking in numbers, hows fiftyfive? did you hear about thirty six? and so it went on.
Now I was in a Welsh Battalion all Jones,Williams,Evans and Roberts as you could imagine, Now my question is do English Battalions use numbers in such a manner?
Only time i knew about it was when i was in basic with an few English blokes and there was a Jones from the PWRR and he was given his last 2 to be known by, however the SGT was an RRW man and as he said "I LIKE NUMBERS".

P.S. Numbers have been changed to protect identities!
I did 3 yrs in the para military Colonial Police in Central Africa, in my squad at the training school there were 4 Williams's, 2 Welsh, 1 N. Irish & 1 S. African, known as Williams 1, 2, 3 & 4 respectively!
So not just Welsh Army Regiments. Mind you all our drill instructors were ex Army, ours was ex Coldstream Guards, who could be an absolute B.....d if you upset him, which was quite easy :roll:
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top