Numbering - OCULUS Operations?

Discussion in 'Bosnia/Former Yugoslavia (Op GRAPPLE, Op RESOLUTE)' started by Badgers_Love_TB!, Jan 24, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello all, first time on this, serial lurker.

I've been running through my previous Op tours and I have managed to number all my HERRICK tours (I deployed on Op names rather than with FINGAL/HERRICK over the last 12 years), managed to get my ducks in a row with a helpful thread elsewhere which allowed me to work out the numbers of all my AFG tours. Everyone refers to the tour number now rather than year.

I deployed to Macedonia, that was a one-off for me with Op BESSEMER (spelling?). No problem there.

As to OCULUS, I have searched this site and the web; no luck.

I was out in Banja Luka on Op OCULUS from Jan-Jul 2004, I know later that year it turned into Op ALTHEA, the winner of the hideous medal award.

Anyone able to help me work out what number this OCULUS tour was? It was probably the second to last, but what number? I won't lose any sleep over this, but I would like to work out what number it was.

Regards,

BLTB

2. It certainly wasn't second to last, as I was on Op Occulus in Sarajevo in Jul 06 - Jan 07. I don't believe the Op Occulus had numbers, partially through the fact that for many of the posts it was a trickle deployment rather than a unit one.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Thanks for your reply. Did ALTHEA and OCULUS run side by side, or is my memory just pants?

4. CanteenCowboy

CanteenCowboy LE Book Reviewer

ALTHEA was the name of the EUFOR OP (that's why the bar on the 'gopping' medal says ALTHEA), only used by our European cousins, BRITFOR still referred to it as OP OCCULUS until it ended (for major units, anyway) in IIRC 2006. Individual's (normally staff officers) deploy to BiH for various posts (or did, when I was still in), don't know if that has a different name.

• Like Like x 1
  5. My PAMPERS(sp?) printout listed my Bosnia tour 2004-2005 as changing from Occulus to Althea half way through.

6. CanteenCowboy

CanteenCowboy LE Book Reviewer

We deployed on OP OCCULUS in 2005 and my JPA (which trumps your PAMPAS), said it was OP OCCULUS, that was also the Op name on the mounting instruction.

7. Thanks for the education. My memory only extends to drinking 'slip-in-a-ditch' and throwing up in the morning into my issue metal bin in my corimec with my room mate chopsing off. Still can't drink that stuff.

8. You weren't part of the mob that took over us in BLMF were you?

9. I think it changed from Op Palatine to Op Oculus in Oct or Nov 02

10. Your tour title changed December/January.

11. 4th of December, or there about I think. We're were replace by a mob with funny accents and bobble hats.

12. I was on Oculus Jun - Dec 04. Ops weren't numbered, just done by different brigades at that time, first 2 Bde, then 11 Bde etc.
    Probably best to count the number of holes in your slippers if you were in HQ or MNTFSU

13. The Lynx deployment for summer 2003 was the best op tour with none of the characteristics of an op tour ever.

Also, wasn't it OCULUS?

14. For some reason, the QMs inherited a lot of unused soap bars from the outgoing Btn.
    Although the empty tins of brasso indicated a lot of spit n phlem.

15. Maybe because we weren't pikeys and purchased our own shower gel and stuff!

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

• Like Like x 1