Number of Medals on Mess Kit

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by Medalhunter, Jun 23, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. In our Unit we now have 2 Serving SNCO,S (Both Medics) with Ten Medals are there serving Soldiers with more ?

Secondly when wearing Mess Kit can you wear this number of Medals in one row or Two ?(I have 8 at present -but begining to look stupid)

2. mess dress is just one stupid looking row Im afraid, although the tailors that mount them should, when they start to look daft, start over lapping the medal ribbons.

altermative is to not wear the medals on your mess dress and just pay the port fine :D

3. Medal ribbons can be worn in rows - but NEVER medals (of any size or in any form of dress).

As has been posted previously (and doubtless someone will leap in to reiterate this), the number of ribbons in a row is entirely dependent on the size of the wearer's chest.

Medals can be worn 'side by side' in line with the rationale guiding the positioning of ribbons. There are no rules regarding how many medals can be worn in this manner. At some point, they will have to be overlapped - no more than 2/3 of the obverse of a medal is to be obscured by overlapping. No medal or ribbon is to be obscured by the lapel.

:D

4. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

8 years ago the front page of Soldier magazine featured an RLC Pte who had accumulated 6 medals in about 3 years of leaving the depot and I remember we all stood around bitching how a bloke in the army that short a time could get so many. And now, standing around at a mess do there were so many guys with 8/9/10 gongs up! We're beginning to look like the spams! No doubt about it!

5. i seem to recall a letter in Soldier or BAR or somethign from a Guards tailor saying that a row of medals should not exceed the total width of five medals side by side, and after the fifth medal they should be worn in two rows - however, as i have never seen this done then i assume it is a load of rubbish!

:D

TJ

6. yes its shite, I have 7 and they are all in one row, the ribbons are in two but the gongs in one.
    and theyre all super duper silver except my NATO and Jubilee

7. You are quite correct :D

8. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Your Nijmegan Medal is gold. :wink:

9. Used to be that if you had more than 6 medals you were exclusive. Now if you have none but the sennelager marches to your name, you are very exclusive.

If any spotted please post location on WWF endangered species list. :lol:

10. Not sure of the rules but having more than 6 or 7 is a long line looks stupid.

Even if you have a massive chest!

Talk to your Tailor(ess) and get them to over lap them.

1. Stops twats counting them because it looks too obvious.

2. Keeps them around the lapel where they should be.

3. Looks smarter.

If we do it with full size, why not with miniatures?