Number of Commisions

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by oandg, Jul 29, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,

Have just started my application with my briefing booked and was wondering if anyone could shed some light on the number of officer commissions each regiments have? I am wantin to push myself as much as I can but also want to have "back up" regiments (although would never tell them that!

I’m sure this has been asked before and know that some only have a couple a year where as others have a very large amount.

I’ve done a search and can’t seem to find anything either on arrse or google.

Thanks in advance.

2. It completely depends on requirements! Obviously the larger regiments and corps such as the RLC, RA and CRE will have more spaces as they are much larger than line infantry regiments for example. Each regiment is given an annual quota of positions they need. They fill these over the 3 intakes of RMAS per year

3. There are a few 'traditionally' low intake regiments. Royal Irish, Paras etc. In The Young Officer's Reading Club by Patrick Hennessy he describes being one of 3 successful candidates for the Guards.

So if you want a particular regi, assume there will only be 3-4 spots. Then go all out!

4. It varies from regiment to regiment. Your best bet is to contact the SO3 Officer Recruiting* or the Regimental Secretary* and they should be able to put you in the picture.

*I don't know if this was proper procedure on my part, but it worked.

5. The number of slots for new officers, per year, is directly proportional to the size of the regiment or corps (more exactly the number of officers in that regiment or corps). Roughly speaking a cap-badge will have about 3ish slots per year per Bn (or Bn sized element). Therefore, each Guards Bn or RAC Regt will have about 3 slots a year because each has only a single Bn/Regt. By the same logic a three Bn regiment such as PARA or YORKS will have about 9 vacancies a year (3 times the size, you see!) Clearly, the three largest corps RLC, RA and RE (I include the RA as a corps for these purposes) have the most officers wearing their same cap-badges and therefore have the most vacancies between them. As an added dynamic, females can only commission into certain corps, meaning that the best females do not compete for the slots in the most competitive regiments as they might do if they were males.

The other thing to consider is that each regiment and corps is competitive to a slightly different extent. Consider that more people might wish to commission into the PARA Regt than the Army Medical Services, for instance. This means that the PARA Regt can afford to be more picky than the AMS. This dynamic is reflected throughout the myriad of regiments and corps and varies slightly by year. What this means is that you should probably consider what part of the army you would like to go to and what your chances of doing so are (i.e. are you a strong enough candidate to stand a realistic chance of being offered a place in what might be a particularly competitive regiment/corps to get into).

If you want specific advice on which regiments are more competitive than others then you probably need to speak to someone who has been through the system quite recently. Also note that like Patrick Hennessy, most people will tend to tell you that their regiment/corps was the most difficult to get into! If you hear that about the AMS or AGC, you can be assured they are talking utter bollocks!

6. excellent read so far - highly recommended for any one contemplating RMAS!

7. £2 in Sainsbury's at the moment.

8. If you hear that about the AMS or AGC, you can be assured they are talking utter bollocks![/QUOTE]

It depends on what type of intake your applying for! try applying for the medical cadetship through the AMS see how competitive it is!

9. OK, fair enough, but I was referring to Direct Entry officers going through the full commissioning course not PQOs.

I'm pleased things have changed though. When I was at university, I had a few medical student mates how referred to the Army Medical Cadetship as "Dial-a-Pip" on the basis that the Army was so desperate for doctors they were falling over themselves to give out cadetships. I don't know whether this was just in comparison with the other services, but I'm not surprised it is more competitive now; it is a good deal offered.

10. you need to be more specific as to which regiment you want to join, and there is nothing wrong with having a "back up" as you refer to it, its called a second choice....Not everyone gets there first choice so make sure you have at least two regiments that you like. However depending on how confident/good you are you might have to be strategic in your choices putting down two very popular and sought after regiments can be detrimental ie: Para and Ghurkas. However if you think your are definitely suited for the Guards, then two guard regiments could be the way to go. As you might of gathered the regimental selection process is far more complicated and intricate as it appears. Bottom line is, do well at sandhurst and find a shoe that fits, keep an open mind and don't get too caught up with what is popular and what is not, if all your mates at RMAS are going for a particular Arm/corps then it prob means you will fit in there too. Good luck at the dark place.