Number of characters in Groups' posts

Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by Balleh, Aug 2, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. GCO,

Sorry to bother you but there is a conundrum concerning the length of posts in Groups.

I have just attempted to post a comment but it has been rejected as it contained 1720 characters.

But MS Word showed a count of 970 characters - with spaces.

What am I doing wrong, if anything?

Regards

Balleh

2. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

It appears to count both spaces and punctuation as characters, although that's just from my messing about with it. Seems similar to Twitter in that regard.

Edit: Just double checked with Word. Spaces count as characters.

3. Sixty,

Fair enough, but the Group’s assessment was that my comment was 1720 characters including, I presume, spaces and punctuation but Word calculated it was 970 characters including spaces and punctuation marks.

With the best will in the world, I cannot understand how there can be 750 random, wild or unaccountable characters. Depending on which figure one uses there is either a 44% or 77% discrepency.

Either way, pas possible

4. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

I'm sorry to hear that the groups are causing trouble - it must have been frustrating as hell after writing a long post. I've lifted the limit entirely.

Thanks for pushing the group forward and I hope you'll bear with these teething troubles.

5. Thank you. That's great.

No worry about teething problems, they always occur.

Best wishes.