Number Blind

I know you can be word blind with dyslexia but can you be number blind?
Or is that just needing glasses and reading the numbers more carefully?

Dyscalculia is the numbers equivalent of dyslexia.

IIRC we don't normally read the actual words, we recognise the shape of the words and coupled with an expectation of the words we are expecting the brain fills in the rest. This is one of the reasons it is so hard to proof read your own work. It is only if you are really paying particular attention or don't recognise a word that we revert to actually properly reading it.

Word blindness comes from the the lack of ability to fully recognise the words and some letters. The letters in words can seem to move around in the order that they appear. Or might have difficulty in distinguishing between similar letters (b & d for example). It can be eased by using contrasting colours and certain type fonts (one reason why the MoD changed from Times New Roman to Arial).

The same can effect numbers, particularly if the same digit is repeated several times in succession (888 or 8888 )

It's Dyscalculia.
I suffer with it, it essentially numerical Dyslexia. I wear glasses with coloured lenses when reading from bright white paper or a computer screen.

Ritch

LE

Found an example of what I was talking about in relation to the shape and expectation from Cambridge Uni:

I cnduo't bvleiee taht I culod aulaclty uesdtannrd waht I was rdnaieg. Unisg the icndeblire pweor of the hmuan mnid, aocdcrnig to rseecrah at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mttaer in waht oderr the lterets in a wrod are, the olny irpoamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rhgit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whoutit a pboerlm. Tihs is bucseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey ltteer by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Aaznmig, huh? Yaeh and I awlyas tghhuot slelinpg was ipmorantt! See if yuor fdreins can raed tihs too.

Last edited:
IIRC we don't normally read the actual words, we recognise the shape of the words and coupled with an expectation of the words we are expecting the brain fills in the rest. This is one of the reasons it is so hard to proof read your own work. It is only if you are really paying particular attention or don't recognise a word that we revert to actually properly reading it.

Word blindness comes from the the lack of ability to fully recognise the words and some letters. The letters in words can seem to move around in the order that they appear. Or might have difficulty in distinguishing between similar letters (b & d for example). It can be eased by using contrasting colours and certain type fonts (one reason why the MoD changed from Times New Roman to Arial).

The same can effect numbers, particularly if the same digit is repeated several times in succession (888 or 8888 )
If self-proofing work for spelling a trick is to read the lines of text backwards - read the words properly just in the reverse order. It helps you look at the spelling more and helps avoid the brain picking up the natural flow and content of the text. Alternatively you employ a Gary B. whose fulltime job is the proof reading of army documents.

You can also teach the brain to read words upside down. Useful when stood in front of the boss and there is an official looking piece of paper on his desk.

Found an example of what I was talking about in relation to the shape and expectation from Cambridge Uni:

I cnduo't bvleiee taht I culod aulaclty uesdtannrd waht I was rdnaieg. Unisg the icndeblire pweor of the hmuan mnid, aocdcrnig to rseecrah at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mttaer in waht oderr the lterets in a wrod are, the olny irpoamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rhgit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whoutit a pboerlm. Tihs is bucseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey ltteer by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Aaznmig, huh? Yaeh and I awlyas tghhuot slelinpg was ipmorantt! See if yuor fdreins can raed tihs too.

Hells bloody teeth,! I wear bi-focals, I read the text with ease, and understood every misspelt word, amazing!

That’s a basic skill for all soldiers........
........ and Ex soldiers, now civvie tradesmen in the pay office of a large agency, waiting for his pay cheque, when he reads the agency's clients invoice for your services, and its twice what your earning, and so you approach the client, and make a deal for your services, for less than the agency charges.............allegedly,

It would be truly a thing of wonder, if the research paper that examined this was written in such a manner. The peer reviews/those conducting the doctoral defence could hardly mark it down, if the content was entirely understandable, thus proving the research. A smart man could have made it one of the shortest vivas ever.

I can understand it but I'm struggling to pronounce it.

BratMedic

LE
Book Reviewer
Sometimes the problem is Irlen syndrome. See here for further info.

Pronounce the word as you know it to be, not as it is spelt, then it all makes sense.
No problem with it making sense when read silently but when I read it aloud, I'm tending to say what is written. There's an extra thought process in converting it to speech.

Last edited:
........ and Ex soldiers, now civvie tradesmen in the pay office of a large agency, waiting for his pay cheque, when he reads the agency's clients invoice for your services, and its twice what your earning, and so you approach the client, and make a deal for your services, for less than the agency charges.............allegedly,
That is commonly known as bloody good drills sir.

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
its called discalculate. I cant make head nor tail with numbers and my brain seizes up adding up darts scores , funny how I ended up being head honcho of a few accounts departments then.
I write number not back to front but in the wrong order cant mentaly calculate the simplest sums and even have problems with playing the guitar because I cant see the numerical patterns in the chords .

Fear drove me to look at processes rather than bean counting so I ended up with a bloody good career in the end .

Latest Threads