number 69 please - chinese in the army

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Danny_Dravot, Apr 21, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. following on from another thread about ethnic recruiting, and using Karl Pilkington style observations, ("i've never seen a chinese homeless person" KP, 2006),

i've never, ever seen a chinese person in the British Army? I'm not talking about oriental/asians, i think i met a mixed race singaporean/brit doctor once.

No, i'm talking about the real-deal Chinese?

Has anybody ever met a Chinese soldier in the British Army - or for that matter, are there any other races that make up our rich ethnic culture that seem to be completely absent from our Forces?

I do however have a chinese fighting jacket - so who did that once belong to???
  2. Never met an Eskimo either.
  3. Actually yes! Had a couple in our Bn. in the 70's -80's. Proper ethnic Chinese but raised in Canada and came to us via our affiliated militia Rifle regiment. Both good guys, one later joined the RUC and is still servingin PSNI!! Excellent chap but I wonder what the Fcuk the locals made of him!
  4. chinese in the PSNI...mega...

a bit like the takeaway in Portrush..."yo wan soy soss with dat....big maan!!"

5. Now that you mention it, I cant actually recall any Iraqis coming over to defend the UK. 8O
  6. We had one, a Scouse name of Hing when I was doing my basics. 100 % full blown, memory says he didn't stay long post completion of training.
  7. i'm sure i read somewhere about an british-iraqi descendant serving?
  8. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

Errr, there were quite a few in the Hong Kong Regiment (or whatever it was called - was it the Hong Kong Military Service Corps?).
  9. We had a chinese female Sig in our Sqn two years ago, she left us to goto university. From what I remember she was quite fit
  10. We have a chinese Medic at our units Med Centre , and she is very tasty , but i think she bats for the othere side.
    Cant say anymore she might read this :)
  11. There is a Honk Kong chinaman in the AGC ETS, smashing little chap though he sounds like Benny Hills' pantomime chinaman.

The watchkeepers pool used to have a HK chinese Major (spoke better English than the Brigadier), who had joined the RLC when he came to the UK, and became OC of the mobile laundary.
  12. Did,nt a load of Chinese die when the Atlantic Conveyor was burnt out during the Falklands campaign ?. God rest thier souls.

Regards LT.
  13. I was married to a female Int Corps WO who would seem to meet your critera. She was from HK. Intrigued by your separation of Chinese from Oriental though.... What does that mean? (Forgive my ignorance, but I would have called the Chinese oriental myself.)

14. There where and still are a shed load of chinese guys working on ships, down in the grotty bit at the bottom normally.
    Not sure if they count as serving in the forces though.

Once served with a half Chinese SSgt in Krefeld. So it seems they do exist but not very many of them.
  15. Yup, I know one and he's a bloody good bloke!