Number 1 uniforms

Hey all, quick question about number one uniforms, are you allowed to get them issued for charity dinners?

I ask because I'm going to a charity dinner.

I am going to speak to the QM'S about it but I just wanted to know if it was usually allowed for this kind of shindig. Everyone else is going to be in Black Tie, and I thought #1's would stand out a bit!

I ask because I'm going to a charity dinner.

I am going to speak to the QM'S about it but I just wanted to know if it was usually allowed for this kind of shindig. Everyone else is going to be in Black Tie, and I thought #1's would stand out a bit!
Have a good night. I'd wear black tie, if I were you.

Son. You're obviously proud of your uniform, if you're a regular soldier and not a cadet or TA (no offence to the TA) wear your Blues and make sure you're immaculate. A fit, well turned out soldier in uniform is wonderful PR for the Army. Besides, unless you own a DJ wearing Blues will save you the money of renting one.

If everyone else is in a DJ and you're in blues you may just look like a big timing goon in my opinion. But, if you want to to be centre of attention then fill your boots.

Fair one. I'm not really the decision maker on this. Zero Alpha wants me to wear em!

I'll have a chat with the QM and see. Cheers for the info chaps.

Why not wear a suit and regimental tie? If you feel like big timing it wear miniture medals, a handful of lapel pins and wear your mod90 as a tie tack.

Do you get to wear the next rank up on your 1's at a charity do? After all, it is for charidee...

These wah posts are starting to get tediouse.

Perhaps he wants to go 'a-Walting'....

I suppose the answer depends on what Charity its for. If its a Military charity, then going in uniform is sure to upset a few if you are the only one.

If its a charity looking after the victims of war, then wearing a military uniform is spot on. Maybe wear combats instead, sure to get you recognised.

If its a dinner, isnt mess dress more applicable? If youre a Tom, wear a dinner jacket and black tie....?

Is it customary to have vents in a blues tunic?

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
If everyone else is in a DJ and you're in blues you may just look like a big timing goon in my opinion. But, if you want to to be centre of attention then fill your boots.
I have long tended to feel the opposite. There is a tradition of soldiers dressing for the mess and I hold the view that a DJ exists so that a civvy can dress in a civilian "uniform" in the style of a soldier in his mess without actually walting in service dress. (Yes I do have a DJ - unless the moths have had it).

In view of this, I am of the opinion that when the civvies are wearing DJs, the serviceman is to be encouraged to wear uniform as applicable, be it Twos (which are apparently cut from some shite material these days unlike the smart kit we wore back in the day but Zero Alpha warned me that she would walk out if I turned up in church in Khaki. She said the same about Ones, as worn by Canteen Cowboys) so I asked the OC for permission to wear PTU, he phoned the RSM and the latter took great delight in pulling strings. Zero Alpha hasn't forgiven me thirty years later for upstaging her big day.

Edit: not entirely happy with how this post comes across but cannot get my head around exactly what I am trying to say, so please don't get carried away with the flaming.