null

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Hazza32, Jan 22, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. null

Last edited: May 26, 2014
  2. You do not say to what objective? are you joining up, or is it just for the rugby?

Presume that you do not go straight onto the free weights without a warm up, this can be a combination of cardio and stretching, get the pulse rate up and muscles loosened.

I have managed to keep muscular definition and strength( not bulked up) with just light free weights 3 times a week, you need to have a good routine with some variety in it, or boredom sets in, own consists of light weights, high repititions, 8 sets. The knees are gone at 60 so no more runs for me, but swimming is good cardio if you push it hard.
    If the aim is the forces then you probably need to work a lot more on endurance + strength than you are at the moment, although that would apply to rugby also.

I am no expert, there are loads of guys on here who are though, some one will have some more detailed advice.

3. Apart from compulsory attendance in the army, i have never been to a gym, if i were you i would call in at your local info/careers office have a chat with one of the recruiters, they can steer you in the right direction, also have a trawl on here and i am pretty sure you will find old threads giving good advice, log onto something like Infantry training centre website, they detail physical fitness requirements, why pay some bugger to get yourself fit, use the roads to run, buy a small comfortable bergan type back pack, add a bit of weight ( not a lot at 16) anything can be used as a free weight at home or in the garage, you can make your own bench for situps and weight training, keep the money in your own pocket, join a local running club if you have one, good company and a bit of social life as well and free!

4. If you want to put on muscular bodyweight, join a good gym; the definition of good is a gym that has lots of free weights, not just machines. Preferably this includes Squat cages and Deadlift platforms.

The best routine for a novice is Starting Strength. There are several versions, including this one:

Workout A: Bench Press 3X5
    Squat 3X5
    Pull-ups 3 Sets to failure.

Workout B: Squat 3X5
    Military Press 3X5
    Deadlift 1X5.

You alternate the workouts on three non-consecutive days per week. So the first week you do Workouts A,B and A. The following week is B, A and B, and so on.

SS is a great routine for a rookie lifter, since it is designed to take advantage of 'newbie gains'. The first six - nine months of serious weight training is when you make the most dramatic gains. You can increase the weight you lift by small increments(usually between 1 and 2.5 kilos)every workout. This is known as linear progression.

For more information on SS, Google Starting Strength Wiki or visit Sherdog's Strength and Conditioning Forum.

Good luck!

5. You can always have a look in mens health magazines for workout ideas, some of them are pretty decent. I find that if you want to build strength and muscle mass, you should really be doing around 8 reps of an appropriate weight, with ideally 4 sets to failure. Make sure you're sessions in the gym are structured, otherwise it is unlikely for you to see much improvement. When you go in there, make sure you have a reasonably clear idea of what you are going to work on, and what your goals are. The 8 rep max for the bench is a good start.

6. Good workout WW. I would say something similar, a bodybuilding type routine will build muscles but wont nessararilly give you functional strength. If you want a workout that will give you bulk and strength you cant go too far wrong with "milk and squats" (google it). Hard work, very hard work but you will get results.

7. Milk and Squats, aka 20 Rep Squats is brutally effective, with the emphasis on brutal. It is almost certainly too advanced for the original poster. Mark Rippetoe, the inventer of Starting Strength has this to say about Milk and Squats:

"How long do you rest betwen reps during a set of 20 Rep Squats? Just do what Jesus tells you. And trust me: if you do a Milk and Squats program, at some point you will see Jesus. The last time I did 20 Rep Squats, Jesus asked if He could work in!"

8. Sounds good. Military press?

9. Should a novice really be starting on strength though, they need to go through the muscular endurance and hyperthrophy phases before getting to strength training

10. Military Press is just another name for Standing Overhead Press: take the Barbell from the rack and press it overhead until the arms are locked out. Lower the bar to the upper chest/neck, and repeat.

Some people get very **** and say that it's not a Military Press unless you are standing with your heels together, as though you were standing at attention. But that is just pedantic bullshit. As long as you are pressing the weight correctly, you can call it what you want. Again, a quote from Rippetoe himself:

"I just call it The Press, because how can you press without using your shoulders? You could Leg Press...but that's just gay."

11. As a PTI, you obviously have more experiance and knowledge than I do, Sandy. But my understand was that SS is designed specifically for novices. It uses relatively simple to learn but highly effective compound movements - Squat, Deadlift etc - to develop strength and hypertrophy simultaneously throughout the body.

12. The lad is 16, no need to be going OTT at that age. As mentioned before use Men's health or even 'weightlifting for dummies'. No point trying to run before you can walk. And don't try be Mr Universe....as Jake the Muss once said "too many weights and not enough speed work!"

13. Which is exactly why I recommended a simple, proven(Starting Strength has been around for years and been successfully used by thousands of people)strength training program. Men's Health is far too Bodybuilding orientated. Most of the routines are relatively complex body-part splits. A novice will benefit more from concentrating on simple but effective compound exercise IMHO.

14. Build up your 'base fitness' doing loads of steady state. Sports where you lift your body weight over distance, swimming, kayaking, cycling, rowing, cross-country skiing are good for this. Concentrate on technique and varying pressure/effort as you do this, see also 'fartlek.' Weight training can compliment this and should be aimed at building power. It is best to use free weights, four milk crates a bench and training partner in a garage would do. Power Cleans 4sets/8reps or 3x6, Deep Squats same, Bench Press same, Bench Pull same. Reassess your maximums every three or four wks then add the necessary wt. You could alternatively use a pyramid format ... 8reps 6reps 4reps 2reps then back up for each exercise. No more than 3 sessions a week. Keep it simple.These are 'massive' wt exercises and will develop most muscle groups.The real increase in strength will be the very minor gains made later on. Remember to do your stretching exercises beforehand.

Later on in the training programme you can concentrate on interval training. E.g Up hill sprints or 12 x 400m on the local athletics track. Keeping the time it takes to complete each lap constant while bringing down the time you give yourself to recover. E.g from 1min to 30secs. Take your pulse before and at the end of each session. You want to see a drop in your resting pulse rate over time.

Lastly 'bergen fitness' is exactly that. Put some useful gear (not rocks) in a rucsack and go hill walking.