NuLabs Legislative Legacy - What would you repeal?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by OldAdam, May 12, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. NuLab must hold the record for the amount of new legislation entered onto the UK's statute Book, most of it inspired by Brussels - all of it administratively expensive and of little value to us.

I recall hearing that an incoming Tory government would be reviewing this mountain with the aim of cutting out most of the cr*p.

Assuming that this idea still stands, now that we've got a coalition, what would be your priority for File 13.

2. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Hunting ban

3. Allow the Royal Navy to bum, er, I mean hang pirates again.

IIRC that lisping cnut Jack Straw got that stopped about 1999

4. Equalities Act, if it managed to get past. I'd look at easing the ban on pistols too.

I'd repeal the Human Rights Act too, and alter whatever piece of legislation it is that makes it so hard to move gypsies once they've set up camp somewhere.

5. Being a member of the shooting community I'm going to put forward the Firearms Act 1997 for immediate repeal.

I know this was kicked off by the Tories in a panic but NuLab didn't have the moral courage to bin it on the grounds that it was pointless and unjust, instead they ground the shooters' noses into the dirt by banning .22s as well.

The Firearms Act 1997 is an outstanding example of panicky, knee-jerk idiocy that has signally failed to cut gun crime and "get guns off the street"; instead all it did was to deprive 57,000 well-vetted, legal gun owners of their property for less than its true worth.

In the short term, at the very least, the shooting community should be allowed handguns suitable for Olympic disciplines as soon as possible to allow our Olympic shooters time to prepare properly and encourage future generations of Olympic shooters. The current so-called "special provisions" for practice in the UK were a joke, so loaded with restrictions that it made more sense to continue going to Switzerland.

What would I propose instead?

Something a lot cheaper and more appropriate/fit for purpose:-

Scrap the entire Firearms Act and replace it with a 'Fit Person Certificate', whereby the applicant undergoes vetting up to Ordinary Vetting level, allowing him/her to hold any category of firearm that was legal prior to 1988. This would best be administered by a Firearms Administration Organisation, outside of the control of ACPO and its anti-shooting bias, thus allowing the police to concentrate on real firearms crime as opposed to 'technical crimes', ie. caused by arbitrary and illogical application of FA1997 by the police!

6. EHRA. Blair said introducing the Scum's Charter was one of his proudest moments in politics - 'Nuff Said!

7. Sorry mate, whats EHRA?

8. Dismantling the stasi lite surveillance culture would be nice, fixed speed cameras only, CCTV to be scaled down to reasonable levels, Terrorism act to be scrapped, or at least the abuse of the Terrorism act by local councils and police.

9. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act. Unless I'm missing some glaring reason that the council should be able to view my internet activities.

10. Didn't his missus tell him to push this?

Incidentally has Harriet Harperson's Equality Bill hit the rails too?

Apart from that ....every bit of legislation since 1920 should be binned! :twisted:

11. My bold: you mean this one?

http://www.equalities.gov.uk/equality_act_2010.aspx

12. I'd forgot that one, that's another nasty example of state snooping.

13. Every piece of legislation that has been introduced by Statutory Instrument.

If the proposed legislation is that good it can go through the Commons and be scrutinised by the Lords.

14. Ah! The Human Rights Act 1998, think you're mixing up your HRA's and your ECHR's!

You are right, it should be the first one to go.

15. Oh! Bugger! ...and I meant 1918 not 1920...that's when they gave Wimmin the vote I believe! :twisted: