Nukes, drugs and rock n'roll - Navy submarine scandal

AfghanAndy

On ROPS
On ROPs
Did they not think that throwing women into the mix on a submarine wasn't going to have some form of impact?

Of course you can't blame the women for the drug taking....but it was only coke and it was during a run ashore.

if this was the US Navy, one or two Rear Admirals in a service that seems to be out of control would be busy writing letters this weekend.

Something is seriously out of kilter. It would be slightly worrying if it were an Army battalion, but; it isn't.

Is there nobody at a very senior (military or political) level who can grip? Are we seriously at the mercy of spin/PC? This isn't a minor issue, it's a national defence crisis, because it's probably not an isolated case, just the only one to be brandished across the world's news media.

I worry. Perhaps I should vote for a Momentum person/daughter to put it all right. Mmmm, comfort zone.

A matelot cavorting with a prostitute in a swimming pool? Shocking and outrageous, the PM should investigate this situation personally because this type of behaviour has never occurred with HM Forces in the past, a true failure of modern leadership.

Last edited:
A matelot cavorting with a prostitute in a swimming pool? Shocking and outrageous, the PM should investigate this situation personally because this type of behaviour has never occurred with HM Forces in the past, a true failure of modern leadership.
I'm outraged that there was only one prossy. Standards really are slipping.

if this was the US Navy, one or two Rear Admirals in a service that seems to be out of control would be busy writing letters this weekend.
Rear Admirals? This wasn't bum fun, this was outrageous sex and illicit drugs, and that clearly calls for Vice Admirals to act.

A matelot cavorting with a prostitute in a swimming pool?
I'd make it part of the training syllabus. 'Morning gents! Right then. Week 6: Hookers...'

I reckon the Skipper got first pick...

… it was “unfortunate” that the Vigilant's captain, the submariner Stuart Armstrong, and his second-in-command, another submarine officer, had “little or no relevant recent mixed sex ship experience”.
While both may have fully merited their positions, having both an unsuitably experienced Captain and a similarly unsuitably experienced XO / 2ic together on the same ship seems inexcusable and should never have happened.
I must say, John has a valid point here.

Edited to add: Strange, that post seems to have disappeared. Is @Guns in Mod edit mode?

I think they should be commended. They're doing their best to turn around the RN manning crisis and have their sights set on the long game. Should take about 18 years......

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
The DT article on this names the XO and his bird. Haven't seen their names before.

I'm outraged that there was only one prossy. Standards really are slipping.
but which one of the many genders was the prostitute? surely they gain a few points if it's something weird/made up?

The DT article on this names the XO and his bird. Haven't seen their names before.
The Grauniad named him in their article about social media accounts being ordered to be deleted, identifying him as the DEPCO (Deputy Commander)[sic] to whom reports were to be made. Obviously they got some of the facts wrong.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
This is a 2 part story really.

Part 1. Skipper bangs tidy young subby, gets caught, shit hits fan. XO who is also banging less fit young 2 ringer shits himself over media coverage, realises his own career / marriage is at stake, orders crew to delete social media accounts, turning whole thing into a complete farce.

Part 2. Crew lose complete faith in leadership, they get alongside after being underwater for 3 months, have an almighty blowout run ashore which makes it into the papers, who are already closely monitoring them for juicy gossip.

I'm enjoying this whole episode, because I spent my whole time in the mob being told that Submariners were more professional, better trained and grown up than us skimmers.

Ha.

I too am enjoying the Schadenfreude of the submariners' continued insistence they're so much more professional than us skimmers.

Who wants to bet the lassez-faire hotel routines are in for a shake-up?