nuclear weapons?????

Discussion in 'Gunners' started by cityloyal, Nov 19, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. trying to "out " a possible bullshitter!
    i know the guy served 22 in the RA, but he keeps making reference to an artillery unit that handled nuclear shells?? :? (cold war era)
    he also says that he and his team were taught how to dismantle the bomb in the event of an emergency!
    any info about said unit would be greatly appreciated.

2. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

50 Missile Regt RA.

Disbanded around 1992 (ish).

3. Also 39 Regt used to handle Nuke 8 inch shells in the 80s. As I remember it though the American detachment did all the technical, stuff all we did was fire the badgers.

4. cheers lads, i 'll take him up on what regt he was in.
    but can any one tell me if a j.n.c.o would be likely to be dismantling nuclear weapons???

5. it's amazing what gunners get up to when we're bored!!

6. He would more than likely be the one running away from some angry Yanks with one shoved up his jumper giggling like a small child locked in a sweet shop!

7. Your first post, you said he was taught how to dismantle them during an emergency... Kinda makes sense regardless of what rank somebody is, if they are around nuclear weapons, it would be pretty sensible to know how to disarm them for emergencies - like the rest of his det had been wiped out.

8. Can you tell me were you fired these nuclear shells - just so i know were NOT to go on holiday.

9. in the 70's all the medium and heavy regiments using m109 and m110 were nuclear capable, not sure if the m107 regts were nuclear or just corps heavy arty. 3 regts (27,39 and 45) were medium, each with 2 batteries of m109/155mm and 1 battery of m110/8"/203mm guns.
    50 missile regt was equipped with lance missiles (not shells). think there were 2 heavy regts, (5 and 32?) with m107/175mm guns. hope this helps.

10. Hohne Ranges,the safety was a nightmare but well worth it to see that mini mushroom cloud.

11. If you watch "Fog of War" about Robert McNamara there is a brief clip of an artillery fired nuke in the part of the film describing the cuban Missile Crises (IIRC). Enough to make you choke on your pizza!

12. I just found the clip on You Tube. It is at 2 minutes and 52 seconds. A brief clip, but impressive!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOoOcIFhaoA

Watch the whole clip as later it shows the importance of the former US Ambassador to the USSR (Tommy Tomsom (sp?)) and the important role he played.

13. GunnersQuadrant

GunnersQuadrant LE Moderator

14. Spanish_Dave

Spanish_Dave LE Good Egg (charities)

2nd Fd M109 also had nuc capability in the 80s :headbang:

15. check my avatar...