Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nuclear weapons to become illegal

Rapid re-wind to the early summer of 1940.

The French High command is discussing possible German strategy in launching an attack on France.

Senior General speaks: "Evidemment, les Boches will attaquer par la Belgique, juste comme zey did en ze last guerre."

Young Officer pipes up: "Mais mon General, supposez que les Boches attaquer par les Ardennes?"

Senior General: "Non, non, non, idiot! C'est theoreticalement possible pour les tanks germains to aller par les Ardennes - mais les odds contre it succeeding sont infinitesimal! Les tanks runnez into les trees, et ne gettez through! Besides, nous avons le Maginot Line - et la Police de l'Air - avec trained chiens!"

Young Officer: "Ah oui, "

Plus ca change.........................

Don’t shift the goal posts.

Nobody’s claiming that ICBM silos aren’t vulnerable to first strike hits from other ICBM, under a very limited set of circumstances.

What they aren’t vulnerable to, however, is attack by a lone wolf on the ground. As has now been explained to you several times.

Those limited circumstances?

Firstly, ICBM, especially those available to the USSR at the time the silos were built, aren’t very accurate. They could, 9 times out of 10, hit a city. The silos will withstand a ‘near miss’.

Secondly, by the time those ICBM arrive at the silos, the cupboard would be bare. All of the US missiles will have been launched.

There is also such a thing as a nuclear triad. Even is there was a massive fait accompli, the Americans had enough ‘fail safe’ B52 in the air and nuclear missile submarines to deter anyone from launching such an attack.

Now please stop.

Charles1948

On ROPS
On ROPs
Yes it is.

If the US see birds in the air they will launch.
No they won't. The US will not launch missiles in response to a mere seeming attack detected on a radar screen.
US policy is to wait for the missiles to actually explode on US territory. Thus establishing beyond doubt that a nuclear attack has occurred.

The US will then retaliate, with whatever land-based based ICBMs and bombers have survived the attack.
Plus, most especially, the submarine SLBM force, which will be completely, or nearly completely, intact.

This has been official US policy for over 40 years. For bleeding obvious reasons. You don't want to start a nuclear war just because your radar screens show blips which might only be a shower of meteorites.

The Soviet Union never officially declared a similar policy, but in practice acted on the same lines.

No they won't. The US will not launch missiles in response to a mere seeming attack detected on a radar screen.
US policy is to wait for the missiles to actually explode on US territory. Thus establishing beyond doubt that a nuclear attack has occurred.

The US will then retaliate, with whatever land-based based ICBMs and bombers have survived the attack.
Plus, most especially, the submarine SLBM force, which will be completely, or nearly completely, intact.

This has been official US policy for over 40 years. For bleeding obvious reasons. You don't want to start a nuclear war just because your radar screens show blips which might only be a shower of meteorites.

The Soviet Union never officially declared a similar policy, but in practice acted on the same lines.

If you know so much, why are you asking such ******* stupid questions then?

What the F**k have I just read? Assuming its someone taking the piss and moving along swiftly......

However, I think you should wait until the silo opens then jump the fence using a tramampoline and throw a fridge down the launch pipe at the missile.

What the F**k have I just read? Assuming its someone taking the piss and moving along swiftly......

However, I think you should wait until the silo opens then jump the fence using a tramampoline and throw a fridge down the launch pipe at the missile.
I reckon if you kicked the side of the rocket thing as it was coming out of the silo, you'd knock it off course.

As long as POTUS doesn’t waffle, those Roman candles will be in the air. An incoming counter force strike won’t look like meteors, and I will have less then thirty minutes left on this planet. The US has not given up the option of a first strike and I hope we never do.

Now why don’t you tell me about your plan to attack the WSA? I gotta hear how your Spetnaz battalion is going to over run the area!!

goodoldboy

MIA
Book Reviewer
Taken from Wiki:
"The W48 was 846 mm long and weighed 58 kg; it was in a 155 mm M-45 AFAP (artillery fired atomic projectile) for firing from standard 155 mm howitzer. The fission warhead was a linear implosion type, consisting of a long cylinder of subcritical fissile material which is compressed and shaped by explosive into a supercritical sphere. The W48 yielded an explosive force of just 100 tons of TNT.[2]"

That's about suit case size, at 58 kg not exactly lightweight however.
If someone could have stolen one from the US Artillery at the time they may have been able to make a crude 'dirty' suitcase bomb, but would likely have killed themselves in the process. Use of the W48, in my opinion, would have been superfluous with all the stuff going on in the air during a global exchange. W48 was a weapon of desperation.

I understand and appreciate your point but, have to say, that there never has been a true suitcase nuclear weapon. For all our nuclear demolition devices, artillery and even our own low-yield WE177A1 at about 12ft long, true miniaturisation of a fissile or fusion atomic device has never been required because of the way they are protected as well as the availability of cheaper and more successful conventional weapons. That's not to forget the political considerations as well.

Nuclear weapons are a last resort when everything else has failed. The buried demolition devices in West Germany were true global crisis devices to halt the Red hoardes. Even taking the smallish size of them, there was as is still, no such thing as a suitcase NW. There really are some who believe in an atomic hand grenade - there may even be some who think there are nuclear bullets and that you can kick a nuclear weapon and it will detonate. Fevered imaginations unfortunately!

Sorry for the rant, your post was just a convenient place to hang my thoughts, have a good day mate...

If someone could have stolen one from the US Artillery at the time they may have been able to make a crude 'dirty' suitcase bomb, but would likely have killed themselves in the process. Use of the W48, in my opinion, would have been superfluous with all the stuff going on in the air during a global exchange. W48 was a weapon of desperation.

I understand and appreciate your point but, have to say, that there never has been a true suitcase nuclear weapon. For all our nuclear demolition devices, artillery and even our own low-yield WE177A1 at about 12ft long, true miniaturisation of a fissile or fusion atomic device has never been required because of the way they are protected as well as the availability of cheaper and more successful conventional weapons. That's not to forget the political considerations as well.

Nuclear weapons are a last resort when everything else has failed. The buried demolition devices in West Germany were true global crisis devices to halt the Red hoardes. Even taking the smallish size of them, there was as is still, no such thing as a suitcase NW. There really are some who believe in an atomic hand grenade - there may even be some who think there are nuclear bullets and that you can kick a nuclear weapon and it will detonate. Fevered imaginations unfortunately!

Sorry for the rant, your post was just a convenient place to hang my thoughts, have a good day mate...
Not so much a rant as constructive argument.

A question for the OP: What are you going to do about Atomic Cannons? They still haven't gone away, you know. :?

Atomic Cannon.jpg

Your source of information on this subject, did it end with a game of tic-tac-toe?

kalliste

Clanker
"The W54 is small enough to be deployed as a SADM (Special Atomic Demolition Munition), or so-called "Backpack Nuke". It was the closest thing the U.S. is known to have developed to a so-called "suitcase bomb". "
"It is quite likely, that should the suitcase bombs described by Lebed actually exist, that they would use this technology. It is clear that any of the 155 mm artillery shells, if shortened by omitting the non-essential conical ogive and fuze would fit diagonally in the package that Lebed describes, and the Swift device would fit easily. If the yield is as much as 10 kilotons, then the device would have to be fusion boosted."

Latest Threads