Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nuclear weapons to become illegal

Late on Saturday night in New York, the 50th country – the central American nation of Honduras – ratified the Treaty on the prohibition of nuclear weapons.

The provisions of the treaty, established in 2017, state that it will enter into force 90 days after the fiftieth instrument of ratification, acceptance, approval or accession has been deposited.

So, 3 months from today, we will all be living in Nuclear free Zones, which I am sure will provide endless cheer to the leaders of 1980s left wing councils in the UK.

I am somewhat less certain that the USA, UK, Russia, China, France, Israel, India, Pakistan and North Korea will start decommissioning any time soon.

Wait, so international agreements aren't absolutely binding on everyone to the extent military force is justified in enforcing them?

Does our arms industry know?

Seeing as it's what everyone signed up to doing at the earliest possible date when they signed the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons, it's entirely in line with the signed commitments already made by the US, UK, Soviet Union / Russia, France, and China to liquidate their stockpiles of nuclear weapons and the means of delivery. I'm sure they're making great progress at complying with their solemn commitments under NPT.

Desiring to further the easing of international tension and the strengthening of trust between States in order to facilitate the cessation of the manufacture of nuclear weapons, the liquidation of all their existing stockpiles, and the elimination from national arsenals of nuclear weapons and the means of their delivery pursuant to a Treaty on general and complete disarmament under strict and effective international control,
(...)

Declaring their intention to achieve at the earliest possible date the cessation of the nuclear arms race and to undertake effective measures in the direction of nuclear disarmament,

Urging the co-operation of all States in the attainment of this objective,

Article VI
Each of the Parties to the Treaty undertakes to pursue negotiations in good faith on effective measures relating to cessation of the nuclear arms race at an early date and to nuclear disarmament, and on a treaty on general and complete disarmament under strict and effective international control.

Late on Saturday night in New York, the 50th country – the central American nation of Honduras – ratified the Treaty on the prohibition of nuclear weapons.

The provisions of the treaty, established in 2017, state that it will enter into force 90 days after the fiftieth instrument of ratification, acceptance, approval or accession has been deposited.

So, 3 months from today, we will all be living in Nuclear free Zones, which I am sure will provide endless cheer to the leaders of 1980s left wing councils in the UK.

I am somewhat less certain that the USA, UK, Russia, China, France, Israel, India, Pakistan and North Korea will start decommissioning any time soon.

So in short, massive amounts of our money has been wasted by politicians and quangos to stay in posh hotels eating and drinking fine foods and wines to make it look like they are doing something?

So in short, massive amounts of our money has been wasted by politicians and quangos to stay in posh hotels eating and drinking fine foods and wines to make it look like they are doing something?

You sound surprised

Someone's got to. That taxpayer's money won't squander itself.

If it’s anything like the anti-personnel landmine convention or the convention on cluster munitions, then it’s only binding on those who sign it.
I think that the signatories will hope, in time, that it will become Erga omnes under international constitutional law, ie an obligation on all, as with genocide and torture, whether a state has ratified it or not.

Last edited:
If it’s anything like the anti-personnel landmine convention or the convention on cluster munitions, then it’s only binding on those who sign it.

Millions wasted meeting and talking, drafting and re writing, typing and printing.

Yeh I'm not signing that.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
I always dreamed of digging up a Spetsnaz cache and finding a suitcase a nuke or two but this: Nuclear Explosions (Prohibition and Inspections) Act 1998
You've been reading The Kremlin Device.

Took nipper to a book signing with Chris Ryan. Had an interesting chat with him beforehand, cos he and I, like good soldiers, were early to CTR the location. Considering he's a Geordie. Managed to string some words together. After his talk, he signed. We discussed my awkward questions that had raised his Q&A above the usual banal. I told him he could buy me a pint next time he was in the Victory Services Club (where I lived during the week while consulting at the time).

Strange that the following year he released The Kremlin Device, and the climax was set in Seymour Mews, opposite the VSC. @Chrisryan you still owe me a pint, you tight Geordie git.

So what is a Prime Minister to do when he gets told the Soviets Russians have launched 100+ ICBMs aimed at every city and military installation in the UK? Apply for an injunction?

So what is a Prime Minister to do when he gets told the Soviets Russians have launched 100+ ICBMs aimed at every city and military installation in the UK? Apply for an injunction?
Call the police obviously, if they can drag themselves away from apologising to the Black Community, the Gimmiegrants and the LGBQT+ they will be able to deal with the law breakers.

Call the police obviously, if they can drag themselves away from apologising to the Black Community, the Gimmiegrants and the LGBQT+ they will be able to deal with the law breakers.
If he reports it as a hate crime they'll be around pdq!!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

aardvark64

War Hero
Send some stiffly-worded tweets and try to cancel Mr Putin?

Joe_Private

On ROPS
On ROPs
But the Russians won't do that, as in my hand, I have a piece of paper ...

Latest Threads