Nuclear testing by the UK.

Late ‘70s I struck up a friendship with the GSM in Münster a cracking Royal Engineer named Mick whose surname now eludes me. He spoke once of being an “observer” at one or more nuclear tests as a young Sapper.

Shortly after I’d left Münster I heard he had died unexpectedly - Leukemia.

Not involved but I've read some interesting books on the tests and the after effects.

Do a goolge search for "Maralinga" and you will find a couple, just don't bother with the latest docu-drama because it is pointless shit

Yokel

LE
My ex matelot father was present for one of the H bomb tests at Christmas Island. It was not the one that went wrong when the altimeter in the weapon malfunctioned and caused detonation at a lower altitude than planned.

The old man does say someone came and wrote 'Nil Roentegens' in his documents, but without any sort of measurement or testing.

My ex matelot father was present for one of the H bomb tests at Christmas Island. It was not the one that went wrong when the altimeter in the weapon malfunctioned and caused detonation at a lower altitude than planned.

The old man does say someone came and wrote 'Nil Roentegens' in his documents, but without any sort of measurement or testing.
My grandads close mate Tony from bomber command days stayed in and ended up in the V force. He flew observer aircraft during some of the tests in the pacific and Aus.
He didn’t make old bones ( Leaukemia).

BarcelonaAnalPark

LE
Book Reviewer
For the Yanks, some of these observations were pretty close...

Yokel

LE
Some of the tests went wrong, such as one of the H bomb tests where the explosion took place at the wrong altitude, creating more radioactive water vapour, and I think one of the Australian tests involved a higher yield than predicted.

I believe the RAF flew aircraft through the mushroom cloud to sample the contamination. Being thirty odd miles away aboard ship like Dad was sounds a lot safer than being an observer in the air or on the ground.

Latest Threads