Nuclear Egypt?

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3348813,00.html

Important media outlets in Arab world address Egyptian president's remarks during his meeting with prime minister, in which he hinted his country would develop nuclear weapons.
"We said that the region should be demilitarized of mass destruction weapons and that we don’t want nuclear weapons in the region, or else we would be forced to also bring in nuclear weapons so that we are not attacked at any time," the president said.

Dubya (as santa): what do you want for xmas?
Mubarak: can i have some nuclear weapons?
Dubya: have you been good?
Mubarak: yes santa , not like saddam!
Dubya: good, now this is how you join the club...

cnut!

I was always told that the Israelis built their Dimona nuclear facility so that, in the event of an accident, any nasties would blow downwind to Egypt. Would the Egyptians reciprocate with their choice of site for El Aldermaston?

Gen. tomahawk6 US Army retd. said:
Ya lets give nuclear weapons to every nation that wants them. Lets play thermonuclear war, shall we Doctor ?
So who gets your vote as the mad scientist (alias Doctor)? :?

U.S., India Reach Deal On Nuclear Cooperation

President Bush and Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh announced Thursday an unprecedented agreement that would provide U.S. nuclear power assistance to India while allowing the country to substantially step up its nuclear weapons production.

Cont/...
Gulf states announce nuclear plan

Six oil-rich Gulf nations have said they are considering seeking nuclear technology for peaceful purposes.

Officials from Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the UAE also urged a peaceful settlement to the crisis over Iran's nuclear programme.

The six Arab states said they were exploring the possibility of creating a shared nuclear programme.

They stressed their right to nuclear energy and emphasised that any programme would be peaceful.

[Note: The very same wording as the Iranians - and we know they're lieing, dont we?]

Cont/...
Pakistan, Saudi Arabia in secret nuke pact

Pakistan and Saudi Arabia have concluded a secret agreement on "nuclear cooperation" that will provide the Saudis with nuclear-weapons technology in exchange for cheap oil, according to a ranking Pakistani insider.

Cont/...
Concern over Middle East nuclear plans

Plans announced recently by Egypt and Turkey that they hope to build nuclear power plants are raising a ripple of concern about the long-term prospect of a nuclear arms race in the Middle East.

"Having a nuclear infrastructure is the step which a country needs to accomplish if it decides to embark on the path of nuclear weapons. Pakistan took that route," he said.

Cont/...

How else do we justify a new trident? we give everyone nukes because its not as if some lunatic would believe that vaporising the unbeliever would result in eternal paradise is it? :omfg:

Amazing how some countries regard Israel as the spawn of the devil, but tolerate Israeli nuclear weapons, while not being prepared to tolerate one of their fellow Israel haters obtaining nucs.

It would be really funny, except for the possible consequences.

Israel doesn,t have nukes. America has nukes prepositioned in Israel.

An old professor of mine said this: It is impossible to have a nuclear weapon making program without people geting a whiff of it. Especially in a tiny country like Israel.

If Israel had tested a bomb, the world would have known and there would be no need for this long denial they have maintained for so long.

How to get around this problem? Bluff everyone into thinking you have a bomb. But knowing Israel, I doubt they would take the chance of bluffing.

So why not have the US ship assembled nukes and delivery vehicles (long range missiles or bombers) directly to the customer? Would make more sense than the US footing the bill for a groundsup program.

In short, Israel has nukes on loan from the US.

Devil_Dog said:
Israel doesn,t have nukes. America has nukes prepositioned in Israel.

An old professor of mine said this: It is impossible to have a nuclear weapon making program without people geting a whiff of it. Especially in a tiny country like Israel.

If Israel had tested a bomb, the world would have known and there would be no need for this long denial they have maintained for so long.

How to get around this problem? Bluff everyone into thinking you have a bomb. But knowing Israel, I doubt they would take the chance of bluffing.

So why not have the US ship assembled nukes and delivery vehicles (long range missiles or bombers) directly to the customer? Would make more sense than the US footing the bill for a groundsup program.

In short, Israel has nukes on loan from the US.
Israel does have nukes devil_dog and they arent US made.

http://www.fas.org/nuke/guide/israel/nuke/

LankyPullThrough - At the time of establishment, Dimona was an out of the way place in the relatively unpopulated (desert) southern part of the country. I like the bit about downwind though, any specific source? The Egyptians have plenty of real estate for their proposed site.

DD - As far as testing goes, including nukes, there is mutual co-operation between nations in these fields of development. It does not need to be tested in country but with a willing partner with the real estate. Perhaps Vanunu can provide the world with more info??

Arik said

DD - As far as testing goes, including nukes, there is mutual co-operation between nations in these fields of development. It does not need to be tested in country but with a willing partner with the real estate. Perhaps Vanunu can provide the world with more info??
Isn't this a blatant violation of non proliferation treaties?

Arik said:
a willing partner with the real estate
or, if you're French, one of your more remote colonies once all the hapless locals have been shipped off

"mais, c'est territoire francais monsieur"

oh, and why not blow up a shipful of protestors while you're about it?
(yes, Segolene we all know it was your brother...)

off-topic but can't help it

Devil_Dog said:
Arik said

Isn't this a blatant violation of non proliferation treaties?
The NPT came into force in 1970 - when in the 1960s did Israel become nuclear?

Around 1967 according to Tomahawk's link.

But the point is, isn't Israel a signatory and therefore obliged to abide by:

Article II
Each non-nuclear-weapon State Party to the Treaty undertakes not to receive the transfer from any transferor whatsoever of nuclear weapons or other nuclear explosive devices or of control over such weapons or explosive devices directly, or indirectly; not to manufacture or otherwise acquire nuclear weapons or other nuclear explosive devices; and not to seek or receive any assistance in the manufacture of nuclear weapons or other nuclear explosive devices.
http://www.fas.org/nuke/control/npt/text/npt2.htm

I am no rocket scientist neither an expert in this field but seems to me this could be the biggest coverup ever.

Devil_Dog said:
Around 1967 according to Tomahawk's link.

But the point is, isn't Israel a signatory and therefore obliged to abide by:

Article II
Each non-nuclear-weapon State Party to the Treaty undertakes not to receive the transfer from any transferor whatsoever of nuclear weapons or other nuclear explosive devices or of control over such weapons or explosive devices directly, or indirectly; not to manufacture or otherwise acquire nuclear weapons or other nuclear explosive devices; and not to seek or receive any assistance in the manufacture of nuclear weapons or other nuclear explosive devices.
http://www.fas.org/nuke/control/npt/text/npt2.htm

I am no rocket scientist neither an expert in this field but seems to me this could be the biggest coverup ever.
No - You miss my point.

Israel became a nuclear power (perhaps) in the 1960s. Therefore, since the NPT didn't come into being until 1970 they cannot be in transgression of it

Then how come they are not a declared nuclear power seeing no international laws have been violated?

Arik said:
LankyPullThrough - At the time of establishment, Dimona was an out of the way place in the relatively unpopulated (desert) southern part of the country. I like the bit about downwind though, any specific source? The Egyptians have plenty of real estate for their proposed site.

The downwind bit was anecdotal: I worked on Kibbutz Be-eri near Beersheba around Feb.-May '93 and heard it there. Don't know its original provenance or acurracy, sorry mate.

Regarding testing, didn't evidence come out of apartheid era South African and Israeli nuclear co-operation? I'm sure the jaapies had nukes, possibly as some kind of 'doomsday weapon', they certainly had a chemical and biological programme trying IIRC to find ways to kill blacks but not whites.

Certainly, when they were all pariah states, RSA/Israel/Taiwan had dfence co-operation (the Galil/R4, artillery, naval craft etc). Wouldn't any testing have been done in the veldt somewhere?

Handbags away ladies, pleeeese!

India has the bomb. It test it's first one successfully back in '74. Nevertheless, it is not in breach of the NPT since it never signed up.

South Africa had the bomb, but dismantled them in the early 90's. It too was not in breach of the NPT since it only signed the treaty in 91. South Africa never tested their bomb.

Israel is not in breach of the NPT since it never signed up either - but it has never tested a bomb in either Israel or South Africa. If it has tested a weapon, it was in the US.