Nuclear Dawn, anyone?

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by BrunoNoMedals, Sep 13, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BrunoNoMedals

BrunoNoMedals LE Reviewer

I've just been mooching through the Steam store to see if there's anything cheap and cheerful to be had, when I found this:

Save 10% on Nuclear Dawn on Steam

It's not cheap for an indie game, but it look polished enough for £15. A mix of RTS commander play and squad-based action, I think it could have potential. The only issue, as with most indie multiplayer games, is userbase. That said, it looks like something the ARRSE faithful could find interesting - so if anyone else feels like taking the plunge, let me know and I might invest as well.

(Steam are also offering a 4-pack of the software for £50, so you could potentially all go in on a bulk buy and save a couple of quid each)
  2. BrunoNoMedals

Evidently this didn't pick up a lot of interest the first time round, and I'm probably a bit late to the party now, but Nuclear Dawn is currently in the final stages of a free trial weekend with 40% off the sale price via Steam. The download takes like an hour or two, and the free-play runs out around 8pm tonight. If you're convinced with it, the lower price (£8.99) lasts until about midnight.

I've not played it yet but will get an hour or so in before the deadline and, at that price, will probably give it a go anyway. Reviews look quite good and it's an intriguing take on the use of FPS and RTS. My first post predicted a problem with userbase size - a promotion like this weekend should have nailed that no problem.
  3. BrunoNoMedals

Well I've had a go, and it's pretty good. Annoying initially, as it lagged like hell despite turning all the settings down. Deactivated my firewall and it worked a treat, even with everything turned back up.

The class system is a lot like Battlefield and Bad Company, with some notable differences. The main one is the use of a very TF2-spy-like class, complete with cloaking and one-hit backstabs. I also found ammo to be a scarce commodity in the field as players cannot replenish it for teammates' like BF. Maps are a good size and well laid-out, and team-work is essential to defeat all but the most stupid of enemies. You might kick them all the way back to their base, but you'll never penetrate the final line unless you've got a strategy and good commander support.

It's not a blockbuster by any stretch, but for less than a tenner I think it's well worth it and have signed up. By my calculations you've got about another 90 minutes to do the same, else it's back to £15 and not as good VFM.