Nuclear alert in Canada

Arkanstigger

War Hero

This certainly caught our attention this morning. I'm wondering if it's a practice scenario for the real thing or a genuine error by a station operator.
Looks like a standard message, probably testing the messaging system but instead of sending it to a limited number of staff it was sent to locals in error.

Looks like a standard message, probably testing the messaging system but instead of sending it to a limited number of staff it was sent to locals in error.
I suspect that there was a moustached purple robed geezer stood in the corner of the room and a strange smell of sulphur lingering through the air conditioning.

That son-of-a-bitching emergency warning came through as I was comfortably tucked up in my wanking chariot and hitting the vinegar strokes.

Put me right off, so it did, and I live 250 miles away from the plant!

Arkanstigger

War Hero
That son-of-a-bitching emergency warning came through as I was comfortably tucked up in my wanking chariot and hitting the vinegar strokes.

Put me right off, so it did, and I live 250 miles away from the plant!
How did you receive the message, was it via SMS? Seems odd that a message would be sent to anyone 250 miles away.

How did you receive the message, was it via SMS? Seems odd that a message would be sent to anyone 250 miles away.
Came through my cellphone with a deafening and unpleasant alarm. It's loud enough, it could easily cut through the sound a television cranked full blast puts out.

And it's the same alarm every time an Amber Alert to inform the public about kidnapped children get published.

Carbon 6

Old-Salt
Apparently the message was sent to cell phones in all of Southern Ontario, which is approximately 350 miles from Windsor to Quebec. We live about 100 miles from the Pickering station.

When I read the thread title I thought maybe Trump had got fed up with Trudeau and had a nuke dropped on Ottawa :rolleyes:

When I read the thread title I thought maybe Trump had got fed up with Trudeau and had a nuke dropped on Ottawa :rolleyes:
If that was so, you'd be hearing the sound of three ringing cheers from all Canadians as Ottawa was vaporised. It really is the City That Fun Forgot. As annoying as Toronto, but without the smugness.

This message was apparently sent by the Provincial Emergency Operations Centre during a training exercise. The PEOC is run by the province and is not part of the Pickering Nuclear Generating Station, nor is it part of Ontario Power Generation.
Ontario government apologizes for alert about Pickering nuclear plant incident sent 'in error'
Ontario's solicitor general apologized for an emergency alert sent by mistake early Sunday that warned residents of an incident at the Pickering nuclear generating station east of Toronto.

"The alert was issued in error to the public during a routine training exercise being conducted by the Provincial Emergency Operations Centre," Sylvia Jones said in a statement on Sunday.

"There was no incident at the Pickering Nuclear Generating Station that should have triggered public notification. Nor was there ever any danger to the public or environment," Jones added.

"The government of Ontario sincerely apologizes for raising public concern and has begun a full investigation to determine how this error happened, and will take the appropriate steps to ensure this doesn't happen again."

Jones said training exercises are an important part of ensuring the province and its agencies are prepared for emergencies and emergency management.

The centre conducts training exercises regularly and "there was no intention to notify the public in this instance."

Dredd

LE
Obviously couldn't have been an emergency, since they wasted time relaying it in French as well . . .

I got the alert and I live hundreds of miles from Pickering, made me feel all warm and fuzzy as my power was out then I get the text saying there’s a problem at a nuke plant, the ice storm just added to the ambience......

Last edited:

Latest Threads