NRPS

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by catterick_commando, Jun 22, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Whats the score?

I know they dont go on Ops, do they go on exercise at home and abroad or is their limit the door of the TAC?

2. I don’t know if they can deploy but they can be made to go on exercise.

3. They can't go on tours but they can go on excercise,they are exempt from MATTS but I've know people who do them anyway for fun and to prove they can still do the buisness.

But Their main job is to run things at the TAC (having spent a few days helping out at my old TAC I would hesitate to call what they do work, as I have yet to witness any work taking place)

Mostly they are older guys nearing the end of thier TA career. It looks boring from what I've seen but a jobs a job.

4. To quote from MATTs FAQs:

NRPS are TA Group B personnel and must pass MATTs ‘commensurate with the unit that they are part of ’
    TA Regs Amendment 29 dated Nov 05 states ‘NRPS personnel are required to comply with the same mandatory annual training tests laid down in Army Training Directives as all other TA personnel. They are to attend training nights, training weekends and camp (whether at home or abroad) if required to do so by the commanding officer.’

The whole ethos of NRPS has changed with the introduction of the NRPS 05 contract. Terms & Conditons of Service can be found in TA Regs Chapt 6, which you can link via ArmyNet

5. Ah sorry about that, it appears my knowledge of NRPS is slightly outdated. :oops:

6. mark1234

NRPS exempt from MATTS, I don't think so! The only copy of TA Regs that I have access to is a bit out date but does state:

Training

6.015. NRPS personnel are required to comply with the same mandatory annual training tests laid down in Army Training Directives [this has now probably been amended to say MATTS] as all other TA personnel. They are to attend training nights, training weekends and camp (whether at home or abroad) if required to do so by the commanding officer.

As I understand it, NRPS are full time TA personnel. They take the money and should be prepared to do their duty, as required by TA Regs. If the CoC let them get away with not wearing uniform or not maintaining personal standards, then the CoC are being weak and not getting value for money.

7. Beaten to it by theflyinghandbag! Damn these bratty fingers.

However, its gratifying that you got the same quote from two different sources within minutes of your post. ARRSE works.

8. They didn't have to do ITD tests though did they?

I remember a SGT telling me he didn't have to do a CFT because he was NRPS, but he likes doing them anyway.

So are they now able to go on tours?

9. NRPS = Not Really Proper Soldier

:D

10. Under the new TOS, yes NRPS can be deployed. And the ones on the old TOS are being 'firmly pushed' towards signing up to the new TOS.

Now, if you make them postable, they will effectively be Regulars again!

12. or is it:

NRPS = Newly Retired Paid up Soldier :wink:

13. Excellent! Rather than having someone develop in the post we will have some muppet who, just as they learn the ropes, gets posted away!!

I'm looking forward to the VVEng (Very Versatile..) whereby all personnel, full or part-time, are paid for the days they actually turn up in uniform and do a full days work!! Of course we'll need time clocks.....

14. All is now clear(ish), however what is meant by camp?

Is this only being made to support the Unit annual camp........or is it supporting regular Army Units and replacing a regular because there is no regular?

15. Definition of Training
    2.031. Training consists of:
    a. Camp that consists of 15 days continuous training at unit camp, on an attachment or a course. (Section 22(1)
    RFA 96 permits up to 16 days to be required, but 15 days will continue to be the maximum period of in camp
    training required by the TA.) Alternatively individuals may attend a reduced camp (see paras 2.081b & c), a
    split camp or camps (see para 2.081d), a short course or courses, attachment(s) or modular training in lieu. The
    aggregated periods of alternative forms of continuous training must total 8 or more days as laid down in para
    7.055 if they are to count towards bounty. The outstanding balance to make good 15 days training must be
    achieved by attending extra out of camp training.

Hope that answers your question. It is highly unlikely that NRPS would be called upon to support courses run by external traning establishments but could be called upon to support internally run / administered unit courses eg a Courses Camp instead of a 15 day exercise