Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

nPower - appalling customer service and the invisibility cloak of 'data protection'.

check your loft and make sure next door haven't broken in and running their own cannabis farm next door
No way of them doing that due to the nature of the building but you'd think that would be the case with the amount they "project" we are going to use.
We send them monthly updates of our usage which matches my predictions but they ignore that & still send these weird estimations for the year.

I think it's more to do with button pushers at a call centre not engaging any brain cells rather than some subterfuge with the neighbour.

D

Deleted 60082

Update. I had promised that I would go to the Swindon Head Office of nPower tomorrow and late this afternoon I was contacted by the Head of Customer Services who 'accepted that there were errors' (but no apology) and had lifted the restrictions on our account, and offered a further £100 ex gratia. Then I asked her when we could switch and when we could get our overpayments back, oh, and where are the transcriptions of the calls? The answers are (a) in a month; (b) 6-8 weeks and (c) not my department. I further pressed for a written apology; in response I will get an acknowledgement of my complaint. How fûcking difficult is it for them to say sorry?

Edited to add: they are "looking into" how we acquired an adverse credit rating from nPower and separately, I've declined their offer of £100 as derisory.

Last edited by a moderator:

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
We have been a dual fuel customer of nPower for about 12 years, the last 8 as holiday-let landlords whilst we've been serving overseas. Their customer service has been tragic to say the least. In March we received a hectoring letter demanding a considerable amount of detail about our property and activities therein. I rang the so-called help line using the number given in the letter and no one would own up to the letter and it was suggested that we ignore it.

Two weeks later we received another letter, threatening to pass our details across to HMRC if we didn't respond. The letter claimed that because of the high energy consumption, we may have been business users, and therefore attracted climate change levies and a different VAT rate. I rang the helpline again to seek clarification and after being told that our property had popped up because 'it didn't have a street number and it seemed big' and it was suggested that we fill in the forms and submit them - which I did that day. Two weeks passed and another letter turned up threatening dire consequences if we didn't send them this information. I rang them again - from overseas at about £3 per minute - and they accepted that they had received the information and they apologised about the letter; I also asked (again) that all correspondence be sent by email, and to their credit I did receive an email closing down the issue and confirming that holiday lets were specifically outside the scope of this 'investigation'.

Fast forward two months - and three more threatening letters. I had lodged a formal complaint with nPower and requested on two occasions transcriptions of the calls via SARs (which have still yet to be produced). Finally last month, I received another letter stating that our accounts were suspended until the matter had been resoled 'to nPower's satisfaction'.

At this point I hit the roof, compounded by finding that nPower had put a credit marker that appeared on an Equifax search. I spent an hour and a half on the phone - showing we were in credit by several hundred pounds (the monthly bills paid by direct debit are in the order of £200). It transpires that 'no one' within nPower can make overseas calls, and they would not refund my call cost, because they offer 'free phone' lines. I also asked why Equifax had been notified and I was met with the catch-all 'Data Protection says no', so then lodged this as a complaint. Meanwhile I received another apology for the letters 'sent by computer' and was assured no more would be sent.

About a month ago we looked at the rising energy prices and decided to change to a local 'ethical provider' who are about £30 pcm cheaper. They contacted me yesterday to advise that nPower cannot permit the switch as our account was 'under investigation'. Coincidentally I received a 'final offer' by email to my original complaint and offered £50 ex gratia for the distress that we suffered becasue of the letters being sent without merit. I rang them back and asked why they would not allow us to switch suppliers (bearing our accounts are well in credit) and asked why they didn't respond to my further complaint about notifying credit agencies that our account had been suspended. They couldn't/wouldn't answer.

I have been promised a response 'within 8 weeks'. I have pressed the matter through to the Executive Complaints Team and asked to speak with the person who signs the letters - Head of Customer Relations, -only to be told because of 'data protection' they couldn't say who this was (even though their signature block is shown), adding that the person is 'non customer facing'.

So apart from venting my frustration, where do I go to from here? They are stopping us changing suppliers for no valid reason; they hold several hundred pounds of our cash. I might take it to Trading Standards but they are unlikely to address the credit markers; I could try the regulator but the investigation could take 6 or more months. How about I shame them on social media?
Letter to the Chairman. Cut out the middleman.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Go ugly early. Works for me
Chairmen of corporations have a department of minions to chase this stuff up. They are often graduate trainees who want to impress.

Works every time.

Just stumbled on this thread by accident.....

Oh where to start with the CNUTS......

I've enough sh*te on em/ with em to sink the Bastards,I've other more pressing issues to hand unfortunately.
They don't know where their arrse actually is never mind their elbow...

There's a bloke called
NIGEL WITTINGHAM who heads up business complaints dept, he's a hardnosed lying **** but he sorted out my estimated +£5k bill ,actually his excellent staffer Ms.J Naylor did, she's been there 15+ yrs and knows the job inside out, trouble is she has to then input it into a feckin computer again...!!!!!!

She's been moved onwards however, if you can get hold of her she's a feckin heroine.

Anyways,lots of grovelling apologies, reparations made etc.....
That was December '19

I've now got bills for £7 FECKIN GRAND on estimated usage of less than 2000 kw/h ( and that's miles high) in a year.

Put me in front of a Magistrate/Judge if you dare NPower.....

I'm ready.

Oh, and have the CCTV ready when they send the 'heavy mob' round ....
The charming young lanky streak of p*ss Carl J***s wasn't even worth the adrenaline rush!

If there's a more deceitful, conniving, fraudulent National organisation out there, that mild mannered, law abiding folk have to deal with, then
May God have Mercy on their Souls.

Eta.
I'm not averse to some 'lively' encounters with Gyppos , Dogmen, Scallys and every other theiving, lying tw*ts that prey on isolated rural communities.....
Npower could teach em all a few tricks!

@ Deleted 60082, Pm me if you need owt.

We send them monthly updates of our usage which matches my predictions but they ignore that & still send these weird estimations for the year.
Ha, they get photos emailed directly showing all three in the same shot, serial numbers and readings clearly showing.......

Computer says 'NO'.
Got the patronising spiel from above Head Cnut last week...

" That's the problem when members of the public try and calculate their own bills"
I took that one, for a couple of minutes until he repeated the figures he'd "personally worked out"...
He'd "mistakenly" entered the 5400 instead of the true 4500 reading.
Oh,how I laughed,
Oh, how he smarmed and grovelled!

Been with them (NP) for as long as I can recall.
Apart from the recent "auto-suggestive" emails pretty much telling me I was to get a Smart Meter installed, and not responding to return F off mails ( polite...until the final one) I cannot say I've had any big issues.
But then, SWMBO & I are probably the simplest low-budget dual fuel account they can have.
Have to bear in mind they are no longer Npower as such and have, I think binned their UK call centres, and have withdrawn back to the Mothership in Europe under the name of E.ON Next.
I hear & read too much of switch-over issues, tbh with a dual fuel monthly of £70.00 it's simply not worth my blood pressure. Better the Devil you know, but as said, our business with them is low level and very simple.
I send them readings, they adjust. It's come down since our son bought his own home from £130.00 per month to £70.00 dual fuel (including VAT!)
Asa usual we will get the annual £200.00 Government dual allowance to add to I think a credit of £150.00-ish so I'll be applying for a cheque in January.

Last edited:
Just stumbled on this thread by accident.....

Oh where to start with the CNUTS......

I've enough sh*te on em/ with em to sink the Bastards,I've other more pressing issues to hand unfortunately.
They don't know where their arrse actually is never mind their elbow...

There's a bloke called
NIGEL WITTINGHAM who heads up business complaints dept, he's a hardnosed lying **** but he sorted out my estimated +£5k bill ,actually his excellent staffer Ms.J Naylor did, she's been there 15+ yrs and knows the job inside out, trouble is she has to then input it into a feckin computer again...!!!!!!

She's been moved onwards however, if you can get hold of her she's a feckin heroine.

Anyways,lots of grovelling apologies, reparations made etc.....
That was December '19

I've now got bills for £7 FECKIN GRAND on estimated usage of less than 2000 kw/h ( and that's miles high) in a year.

Put me in front of a Magistrate/Judge if you dare NPower.....

I'm ready.

Oh, and have the CCTV ready when they send the 'heavy mob' round ....
The charming young lanky streak of p*ss Carl J***s wasn't even worth the adrenaline rush!

If there's a more deceitful, conniving, fraudulent National organisation out there, that mild mannered, law abiding folk have to deal with, then
May God have Mercy on their Souls.

Eta.
I'm not averse to some 'lively' encounters with Gyppos , Dogmen, Scallys and every other theiving, lying tw*ts that prey on isolated rural communities.....
Npower could teach em all a few tricks!

@ Deleted 60082, Pm me if you need owt.

Nice rant!

An observation, though - have you wondered why the user '@ Deleted 60082' is so named? :cool:

If anyone wants a recommendation- Octopus energy have been brilliant for me.

I’m with Avro Energy.

No problems so far and I’ve been with them for nearly a year and a half after a nightmare experience with Scottish Power.

Dual fuel deal was originally £80 per month for the first year and has been whittled down to £71 per year for the second year.

Everything seems to going as projected. I’m in credit after the summer and have just started eating into the surplus now we’re entering the winter months.

I’m happy so far because there are three of us living here so provided we stay on track price wise I think I’m getting a good deal.

It’s also an open ended contract so I’m not tied down for a specified period and can bugger off if I see something else I like better.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
I’m with Avro Energy.

No problems so far and I’ve been with them for nearly a year and a half after a nightmare experience with Scottish Power.

Dual fuel deal was originally £80 per month for the first year and has been whittled down to £71 per year for the second year.

Everything seems to going as projected. I’m in credit after the summer and have just started eating into the surplus now we’re entering the winter months.

I’m happy so far because there are three of us living here so provided we stay on track price wise I think I’m getting a good deal.

It’s also an open ended contract so I’m not tied down for a specified period and can bugger off if I see something else I like better.

scottish power were utter ***** with us over a previous tenants bills in SFA at Worthy Down, tried to get us to pay their bill (several thousand pounds)

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
If anyone wants a recommendation- Octopus energy have been brilliant for me.
They were good but I didn't like their dashboard information. Just moved after only a year, to Green Network Energy. It's cheaper per unit and a lower standing charge and has good reviews.

The switch and my refund went ok, after one phone call to confirm that I had cancelled my DD because I was in credit and I wasn't going to lend them £80 for six weeks, and didn't want any more reminders.

Last edited:
Moved to So Energy. Switch over very efficient, about a fiver off the bill, no complaints here.

I think the greenie startup ones are generally better because they're genuinely competing rather than trying to maintain the big six cartel.

If you have any problems with an energy supplier start here:

then escalate to here:

Rant, rant??
I might be a bit different, being a business customer, but how's this for Npower ethics?

Phone rings at th'owd fellas
79 yr old deaf gormless old git(I love him really, and he's nobody's fool)..

" Owd Mr Oops, I'm calling from Npower" (note the word 'from')

"Your Electric three year contract runs out in three months, are you happy for us to quote for the next three years, it looks like the market's on the way up, we could lock you in early"

Now Ladies and Gentlemen of the Jury,
I put it to you that sentence offers little in ambiguity,in fact the nice chap using the words 'quote' and 'could' were interpreted by said owd fella to mean he'd get a quote and run it past us, should we deem it acceptable we'd think about 'going again' ...
They'd brought in a DD rebate, but I'm old fashioned enough to trade on
" You give me an accurate invoice, I'll pay you bang on the nail" but I know I'm a feckin dinosaur, dealing cattle though your word is your bond, especially when you're shipping artic loads of stock worth £40K a chuck.

Nowt much happens till I'm doing the VAT at the end of the month when I notice a new leccy contract for the Farm , and th'owd fellas bungalow.
The thing that fired me up was the box for ToF's signature was filled in by someone's name I've never even heard of..
(Turns out he's a broker, NOT Npower called Eco Power ( remember the "from" bit?

"Hmm" thinks I.
I'm not gonna go ballistic, ( I'm mellowing in my dotage) I'll simply ring up and cancel their Tomfoolery under the 28day cooling off period that's out there to protect owd fellas against Multinational Companies...

It didn't go terribly well.

I ended up past ballistic, borderline thermonuclear!
Head of Customer Experience, or whatever 'Hi, call me Chris Thewlis'
( He's got no backbone, but he does work Sunday evenings!)
His underling is aforementioned Nigel Whittington ( I've met my match, doesn't take a backward step, but to be fair will concede when he's wrong)..

"I've listened to the tapes, although we could be more transparent, you weren't missold"
"Well I'll cancel anyway" says I ("you Cnut" I didn't say)
"You can't" says he, " the cooling off laws only apply to private customers, to a business it doesn't apply"
(Turns out he's right)
"Once your Dad said 'yes' we had a contract"
( The forged signature is nothing apparently, just "process")

CNUTS.

Eta.
If we had've allowed us access to our bank account, they'dve taken over TWELVE GRAND out of us in eight months........

For less than 500 quids worth of leccy.

CNUTS.

If there's anything good come out the whole affair, it's being able to ' interact' with the myriad of Cold Calling Cnuts that offer the best phone/ broadband/ leccy/ personal accident deals they're hawking....
Sometimes I don't even need to shout at the kids or dogs for a whole day!

endure

GCM
I've recently changed from OVO to Green Energy (not Green Network Energy).

I was coming to the end of my OVO contract and the new prices were quite a lot higher so I started looking round for a new supplier.

Looked at all the usual suspects and noticed this Green Energy mob who were doing standard contract prices that were ~15% lower than OVO.

Called OVO to see if I could get lower prices. This was in the middle of the last lockdown.

The call was picked up by a machine which basically told me to sod off and then dropped the line.

I called around a bit and got pretty much the same result until I called Green Energy where a human answered the phone within 10 seconds.

So far they've been very good. Worth a look if you're thinking of swapping.

They're at www.green.energy and I don't get commission...

goodoldboy

MIA
Book Reviewer
I was with NPower a few years ago and found nothing whatsoever that was good about them. Totally and utterly incompetent in every respect...

I missed this thread but will add my story.

2 years ago, i moved into a flat in London, 3 weeks later, i got home from work and foudn the door hanging on it's hinges and the house done over, cupboards and drawers open, shit everywhere, the contents strewn about the place.

I had an IP camera inside because it was a dodgy area and when i viewed it back i saw a rough looking meathead breaking the door down and then windering about inside the flat for an hour while somebody replaced the gas meter with a key meter.

NPOWER had got a court warrant to break in and fit a pre-pay meter because a previous tenement who moved out 3 years prior owed them 72 pounds,

I could not change the supplier until the meter was put back so had to continue paying them for a year which really got to me.

1 year later, i got 20 pounds compensation and the meter put back however it costs me over 7 days work and the cost of a new door.

They got off scott free, energy ombudsman did f-all.

So when i moved house a few months ago, i went with a different supplier, eon, only to find out that they had bought Npower and i would be dealing with those muppets again.

Latest Threads