nPower - appalling customer service and the invisibility cloak of 'data protection'.

@Crash has already escalated it to the Executive complaints team, where most complaints to CEOs get dealt with. He could do as @Roadster280 has suggested, and try to contact Paul Coffey directly, but if he is receiving such a crap response from the Executive Complaints team already, I would not hold much hope for a resolution.

Using a Dunne & Bradstreet Search engine I have obtained personal email addresses for CEO/nPower, and have drafted an email along the lines of @Roadster280 's suggestion. I have also given a colleague who is flying back to London tomorrow a letter and she will send it recorded delivery.

I have also emailed my MP; asking a few neighbours and friends in the Lakes, it seems they have been plagued with these egregious letters and sundry crap service from nPower, I did speak to Trading Standards today but it's not really their bag, and they suggest I go to the regulator, after all internal processes are exhausted. What annoys me is that we are obliged to accept poor service (which we pay for) yet in most of our professional careers, we could be sacked if we behaved in a similar way. I ahve to say that United Utilities aren't much better.

And thanks for the comedy input; the media would portray me as 'our Man in Wherethef%ckistan" and then quote a Zoopla value for our house, then adding photos of me pi$$ed at the Embassy QBP. Google street view shows it with scaffolding; not the best view! And I flew, in the dim distant past, on 'Submarine Aircraft'

Using a Dunne & Bradstreet Search engine I have obtained personal email addresses for CEO/nPower, and have drafted an email along the lines of @Roadster280 's suggestion. I have also given a colleague who is flying back to London tomorrow a letter and she will send it recorded delivery.

I have also emailed my MP; asking a few neighbours and friends in the Lakes, it seems they have been plagued with these egregious letters and sundry crap service from nPower, I did speak to Trading Standards today but it's not really their bag, and they suggest I go to the regulator, after all internal processes are exhausted. What annoys me is that we are obliged to accept poor service (which we pay for) yet in most of our professional careers, we could be sacked if we behaved in a similar way. I ahve to say that United Utilities aren't much better.

And thanks for the comedy input; the media would portray me as 'our Man in Wherethef%ckistan" and then quote a Zoopla value for our house, then adding photos of me pi$$ed at the Embassy QBP. Google street view shows it with scaffolding; not the best view! And I flew, in the dim distant past, on 'Submarine Aircraft'
As you have identified that others are experiencing the same issues, I would suggest someone (other than yourself as you are obviously too busy swanning around in sunnier climes) needs to contact the local media to get a local campaign going.

Regulator smegulator, you lot are a bunch of god damn pussies.

You need to grab their attention. My preferred method is a vehicle borne IED at their HQ.

Hope this helps.

Worth noting that many papers do a 'readers problems' section (not readers wives, which some of the audience here may be more au fait with), and this simply features a condensed summary of the problem and the outcome - you wouldn't be publicly pictured, or outed as Grand Supreme Air Chief Marshall Flashheart, but it may resolve the case.

Try posting your issue on the forums on Moneysavingexpert.

I'd write to Paul Coffey with something like:

Dear Mr Coffey,

I have been subjected to a very expensive, damaging and very probably illegal process by your company, the details and history of which are to be found attached. In essence, I have been falsely accused of running a business that would attract higher charges. I have called from overseas at my own (exorbitant) cost to resolve this issue several times, and each time been told that it is settled, only for the threatening letters to resume. Nobody at your organization seems to want to take responsibility for the company's actions.

As you will be acutely aware, the buck stops with the CEO. I would have resolved this lower down in the org chart, but that has been a waste of time when your staff obfuscate and hide behind regulations intended to protect data rather than bat off responsibility. I am therefore writing to you personally to address this debacle.

I would be grateful for your personal commitment in resolving this issue without further delay. Customer service drives churn and is therefore a quantifiable cost. The "customer service" that your company has inflicted upon me has been nothing short of appalling.

I look forward to hearing back this week,

Yours,

Frustrated of Ouagadougou (occasionally Kendal).
God, not Kendal. Keswick, please.

UPDATE

I just received this morning a response for the PA/CEO nPower, promising an immediate look at what has happened, and acknowledged that nPower's customer service was not up to the usual standard. I will be contacted by the Head of Customer Relations (the allegedly 'non customer facing' woman), and confirmed they can make overseas calls. I had made it abundantly clear in my letter that I had the means and the intent to go very public about this matter, and that would visit nPower's offices in Swindon, on 2 July, with a media representative (having journalist contacts does prove to be useful from time to time).

Not yet an apology, not yet a lifting of restrictions on our account, not yet allowing us to migrate our suppliers. But a start.

Separately I have heard from other disgruntled customers (by the way, can anyone be 'gruntled'?) that nPower can be surprisingly slow returning customers' credit after suppliers have been changed. Has anyone experienced that with other companies?

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
Frankly all of these energy companies are a right royal pain in the arse, since de regulation, the system has been taken over by gibbons, mouth breathers and fast buck artists, and quick change artists

we used to have a local office in town where people could settle accounts and make contact with a human, they even sold good quality electrical stuff

on the edge of town, they had a works department where the overhead power guys, underground cable guys and the meter engineers and readers were based
it was secure and guarded
all the vehicles were locked up there at night, and in the event of a power failure it was usually a short walk for a call out team to access the vehicles and kit needed, in bad weather emergency teams took the vehicles with them to to save time when they lived in outlying areas, because a grown up looked at the weather forecast, and knew local conditions

they calibrated meters, refurbished them and tested them on a long term basis, and monitored our local section of the grid
they could also contact other sections if the network if a problem occurred

I had a problem on a small housing estate, within an hour of ringing the local office , an engineer arrived, had a cup of tea, made a few tests, and then started knocking on doors and leaving cards on the doors of empty houses
three hours later a team arrived put in place a temporary earthing system, and within 2 days the road was dug up, the fault located and repaired

Now the call out vehicle or engineer often has to come from another county, lacks local knowledge
and the guys that did the cable jointing and repair have all been made redundant and replaced by short term contractors

the Meters are now changed by not very well trained people, who lack the skills to understand how the system works, and in the last two cases lacked the ability to carry out the job because they were not properly equipped or skilled, and I had to boot them off

most of these companies exist simple to make a mark up on the billing, and do little to ensure that meters are working properly and accurately ( I have had to deal with a few recently) or carry out a routine and basic safety check on the earthing system

as from next January the bloody electrical regs change again
so another course for me
all new certificates and bin the old ones
all new technical books and guides
thats a grand down the pan
and all properties to be fitted with an external earth electrode, because so many properties in spite of being PME are losing a safe earth through new housing estates being added and poor service management

if you think thats a rant, recently I visited an elderly couple to carry out a small alteration, next thing I had to take photos, and contact scottish power ( 500 miles way) to resolve sub standard workmanship carried out by their contractors
ie electrical contractors giving some one a bung or a funny handshake to get the contract
then cutting every corner going
in their defence, after the usual deny everything policy from highly trained PR people, their senior engineer looked at my images and my letter and got it sorted, but how many other bits of dodgy installation have these clowns carried out for a fast buck

UPDATE

I just received this morning a response for the PA/CEO nPower, promising an immediate look at what has happened, and acknowledged that nPower's customer service was not up to the usual standard. I will be contacted by the Head of Customer Relations (the allegedly 'non customer facing' woman), and confirmed they can make overseas calls. I had made it abundantly clear in my letter that I had the means and the intent to go very public about this matter, and that would visit nPower's offices in Swindon, on 2 July, with a media representative (having journalist contacts does prove to be useful from time to time).

Not yet an apology, not yet a lifting of restrictions on our account, not yet allowing us to migrate our suppliers. But a start.

Separately I have heard from other disgruntled customers (by the way, can anyone be 'gruntled'?) that nPower can be surprisingly slow returning customers' credit after suppliers have been changed. Has anyone experienced that with other companies?
Keep that for the court document if it still doesn't get resolved

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
nPower are shocking, or were when I left them over a decade ago. Sounds like they ain't changed that much.

After several energy companies I am with First Utility who I have found to be excellent. They make mistakes, who doesn't and I had a few during my house move recently. I called them up and got agreement on what was to be done very easily, but then some issues came in. I ended up calling several times and not really getting anywhere with the helpline team, I think they are deliberately restricted in what they have authority to do.

So, I raised a formal complaint through their complaints system and got a dedicated person, with authority and eventually all issues were dealt with, with a minimum of fuss. At one point when I was told that "the system" didn't allow that. I suggested a course of action which the guy said has never been done before but he tried it, got authority and both sides very happy.

First Utility, for me, have been a top company.

What is it with energy suppliers?

Moved into my current house in December, bought it from someone who was renting it out.

Went with OVO as they had a good deal going but the previous owner had recently switched supplier from when her previous tenants left about 2 months previously.

We still haven't received a bill from them as our meter serial number doesn't match what is on their records, we keep sending photographic evidence with readings every month so they can assess our usage but for some reason can't seem to sort it out. We keep getting estimated projections of our energy usage that amount to around £4000 a year! I'm not sure what they think we're powering for that usage as I estimated it to be about £100 per month & our readings are pretty much showing this as the case but for some reason they believe we'll be powering our own death star or somesuch.

We are 6 months in & are yet to have a bill from them.

Just to add wee have no gas to the property & everything is on electric, the missus mate lives in a place opposite us on the same site with the same energy supply & is paying slightly less than what we estimated but is in a smaller property, so we must be in the right ball park.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Muckster Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC 16
Harry_Webster The Intelligence Cell 8
P Aviation 13