Nowhere to hide as Britain tops CCTV league

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by FunkyNewBlood, Jan 5, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Will Iredale and Sarah Keenlyside

PEOPLE in Britain are monitored by more surveillance cameras than anybody else in the world, according to research. There are believed to be more than 4m closed- circuit television (CCTV) cameras — one for every 14 people in the country.
    A four-fold rise in cameras in just three years has alarmed civil liberties groups. They are calling for tighter controls over their use and over the retention of images on film.

Professor Clive Norris, deputy director of the Centre for Criminological Research at Sheffield University, estimates that at least 4,285,000 CCTV cameras have been installed. The figure surpasses Norris’s own prediction in 2001 that the number of cameras would merely double from 1m by 2004.

His findings form part of a European-wide analysis of CCTV systems that will be discussed at a conference in Manchester this week. Peter Fry, director of the CCTV User Group, which is organising the event, claimed that Britain has more surveillance cameras than the rest of Europe combined.

“Britain is the only country where there has been big government funding for the installations,” said Fry. “Europe and the United States do not have a ‘yob culture’ like we do. I can think of only about six American cities with CCTV (cameras) looking at the streets, while there are more than 1,000 (urban) areas in Britain where CCTV is used.”

A contributing factor in the slow uptake of surveillance systems in America and other European countries are stricter privacy laws that influence the placement of CCTV cameras in public spaces and dictate how images of the public can be used. By contrast, successive Conservative and Labour governments have funded CCTV throughout Britain over the past decade as part of the fight against crime and antisocial behaviour.

Legal controls over CCTV use were introduced in 2000 as part of the Data Protection Act. It says signs have to be erected to inform people they are being filmed and gave the public the right to see footage of their own image. The act also says businesses or councils must have a legitimate reason for installing cameras. Earlier this year the Information Commission — a government watchdog responsible for enforcing the act — suggested camera operators should destroy images of people caught on film as soon as possible.

But the move, which failed to stipulate a maximum time for the retention of images, is perceived as guidance rather than law.

There have been reports of security companies selling images of couples having sex in public.

Last year a man was awarded £7,800 damages after footage of him attempting suicide — captured by council CCTV cameras — was handed to the press.,,176-1078820,00.html
  2. This would be why the crime figures are falling then. Oh no, they're not are they!
    System only as good as it's operators.
  3. Th real reason is they can make mega bucks from "reality TV" shows.

How long before we have a real street on the box everynight?

4. there was a article somewhere yesterday that said that 3 council workers had been suspended for using the cameras to spy into some woman's bedroom
  5. It is impossible now to Fart in Catterick area without the GSM being made aware of the fact as he gets copies of all footage of soldiers behaving, shall we say unsoldier like ?
  6. Council suspends CCTV Peeping Toms
    By Lester Haines
    Published Thursday 6th January 2005 12:56 GMT
    Police are investigating a a trio of municipal "Peeping Toms" from Sefton, Merseyside who reportedly trained a street safety CCTV camera on a woman’s flat in Liverpool's Bootle district, UK tabloid the Sun reports.

The three have been suspended "pending a full internal investigation into alleged breaches of the council’s policies and procedures," as a Sefton council spokesman put it. Police confirmed that they are "currently investigating allegations under the Sexual Offences Act 2003 and we are talking to a number of people", although no-one has been arrested.

The triumvirate of alleged snoops work in the Sefton council street safety camera centre, which controls 70 CCTV cameras across Merseyside.

I wonder how many other CCTV cameras have been used in a similar fashion? :wink:
  7. experience suggests that all cctv images of crime fit into one of the following categories

1) Sorry guv only the manager knows how it works and he is on holiday for six weeks

2) sorry guv its off

3) Sorry guv you don't see their faces

4) sorry guv it was pointing he wrong way

5) sorry guv it cn't be downloaded.

6) sorry guv its inadmisible in court because its on dvd/cd rom and not on video tape (happens less now than it used to)

8. Well don't fcuking do it outside then??£7800! Bet he was glad that his attempt did succeed in the end then.
  9. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

CCtV is the lifeblood of the Police now, its the first question I ask, do we have any CCTV? They are nearly everywhere, and if the operators see something untoward they can get some damming footage! The Trains have some superb Digital stuff, so if you want to put your feet on the seats-think again!

If youre going to get robbed or assaulted, check there is CCTV in the area!
  10. Great telly on tonight. :twisted:

"Drunk and Dangerous." Intoxicated chimps and chimpettes battering hell out of each other on the south coast during the August bank holiday, with coppers being guided to incidents by the CCTV operators.

An anthropologist would have a field day with the footage, and would probably find many examples of the missing link's ancestor. So would a mathematician - there is an equation out there stating that clothing is inversely proportionate to body fat.

I can see why it is useful to the boys in blue....except when it is broken, as it was on one of the nights! :oops:
  11. After watching said program, I am inclined to think that public CCTV surveillance is a good thing. I especially liked the bit where they used it to catch the lad who who apparently stabbed the tramp. A small loss of privacy is a price worth paying for the security they afford. Having said that, there is a security tape of a sports centre car park on a carnival night somewhere in the southwest I wouldn't mind the local council losing.
  12. George Orwell anyone :?: :roll:
  13. I also saw the programme, but was disappointed at the lax sentencing and the "Get out of jail free" that went on. Most of the little bleeders should have been put on a chain-gang!
  14. cant they wire baton guns up to the cameras save a lot of time and or cs sprays
  15. I think that CCTV works quite well in places like town centres, as proven by last nights tv. But I think there is an issue when it appears in housing areas etc. Would rather run the risk of being burgled than some sweaty minimum wage exRLC LanceJack watching my doris through the window or sunbathing. Although it would need a decent zoom facility to see anything...