Now this is a REAL concern for 2009...

Cocoa prices hit a 23-year-high

London cocoa futures have hit a 23-year-high as cocoa turned out to be the most lucrative commodity in 2008.

Cocoa for delivery in May peaked at £1,820 per tonne in London, which was its highest price since October 1985.

Cocoa traded in the US has also been rising, although not as strongly because of the strength of the dollar.

Cont/...
I can cope with the global banking meltdown, the destabiliastion of fossil fuel prices, and even a run on the pound, but a rise in the price of chocolate is really going to hit my financial planning for 2009 hard.

I may have to cancel Easter. :(

Thoughts?

Jebus. They are mental enough WITH chocolate, so what are the Doris's going to be like without it....???

Now that is a critical commodity! How can the moves and shakers of the world economy and business concentrate on getting us back on track, when their assorted Dorii are climbing the walls?

Do I need to invest in Cadbury's etc, or in the Cocoa producers?

PartTimePongo said:
Now that is a critical commodity! How can the moves and shakers of the world economy and business concentrate on getting us back on track, when their assorted Dorii are climbing the walls?

The last time cocoa was at such extraordinary levels was during the early 80s economic downturn.

Is cocoa the new gold?

Will the 'new' global banking system be based upon the cocoa standard?

Will the world's Dorii revolt and bring about an unprecedent upheaval in the international system?

Will Afghanistan be won and, in the absence of illicit poppy, will Kosovo become the hub for cocoa smuggling?

And most importantly, how will I manage to keep the legions of pretty young Belgrade Dorii favourable to my charms?

Worrying times ahead. :x

whitecity - these "pretty young Belgrade Dorii" to which you refer...

What price their charms? Are we talking Fun Size Mars Bar or do you have to go the full hog and offer them your Curly Worly?!

and Happy Christmas mate.

PTP - Cocoa - Cadburys will one of many confectioners that will have to ramp up the RRP to counter the fluctuations. Tie in, less disposable income from Joe Public and retailers increasingly more nervous about buying in too much stock in the present climate and I think your question's answered. As with most commodities, the manufacturers will feel the heat of any market volatity more markedly than the consumer, which in the case of any "luxury item" manufacturers (apparantly people can survive without stickies - not convinced personally) will cause more than a few late nights in the Boardrooms.

ABrighter2006 said:
whitecity - these "pretty young Belgrade Dorii" to which you refer...

What price their charms? Are we talking Fun Size Mars Bar or do you have to go the full hog and offer them your Curly Worly?!
Good god man! No wonder you're still hoping for a brighter 2006... 2009 is around the next corner and all you're offering is a fun sized Mars Bar! Cocoa price dear chap has risen, and nothing less than a Cadbury's Turkish Delight will get you a phone number. And there's still a lot of to do...

Merry Crimbo to you too...

whitecity signing off for 4 days - maybe a quick flutter in the morn' before heading off to the mountain retreat with current Doris. Last chance before the cocoa wars bite. :))

whitecity said:
PartTimePongo said:

Will the world's Dorii revolt and bring about an unprecedent upheaval in the international system?
Yes! Be afraid be, very afraid...

halo_jones said:
whitecity said:
PartTimePongo said:

Yes! Be afraid be, very afraid...
Visions of Dawn French having the keys to Number 10. Thorntons, Cadbury and others duly nationalised. :D Happy Christmas Halo.

I think it's pretty obvious where this is all going gents..

Eventually choco will become so scarce that the government will have to ration it, and fight massive wars with eurasia to keep these vital commodoties coming in. Whenever the choco ration is increased we will have it announced over televisions to much celebration, anyone trying to bring down the system and prevent us from getting choco will be an agent of Golstien.

Got to hand it to him, Brown really knows what he's doing here.

CrownImperial said:
I think it's pretty obvious where this is all going gents..

Eventually choco will become so scarce that the government will have to ration it, and fight massive wars with eurasia to keep these vital commodoties coming in. Whenever the choco ration is increased we will have it announced over televisions to much celebration, anyone trying to bring down the system and prevent us from getting choco will be an agent of Golstien.

A good plot for a movie... :D

Hang on ...

Cocoa going up????

What if they take the brown gold from the ORPs?

What am I going to grab off the cadets from the 24 hour Rat Packs? The hot choccy and the yorkie are the only decent bits left in there!!!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
AsterixTG Waltenkommando 7
Medic_Cop22 Health and Fitness 35
chrisg46 Gaming and Software 7