Now the French Must Prove Theyre French

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by KGB_resident, Jan 18, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

It is an absurd situation. A huge wave of foreigners from remote corners of the Earth apparently hasn't any problems in France at all. Another example.

2. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

To prove you are French you have always to have a damp Gaulloise dangling from your lower lip, always park on the pavement, deliver a daily dose of dog poo to what ever bit of pavement outside your house is not parked on, take both hands off the wheel when driving and wave them about, and mistakenly think Napoleon was a good egg. Oh and have a white flag under your bed in case anybody comes.
  3. You seem to be labouring under the strange delusion that this is not the French State running exactly as conceived, designed and implemented.

All that the Revolution, and subsequent waves of mass stupidity, did was transfer "l'etat, c'est moi" from the aristocrat to the bureaucrat. Who are now happily ensconced in their own "aristocracy". Passim your thread about class - if you think that education at Eton and Oxbridge gives you an advantage in the UK - have a look at where going to ENA will take you in France.

Pretty much as the Russian Revolution just changed the organisation for arbitrary murderous thugs from the Okhrana to the Cheka.
  4. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

It happens in the UK too. If your child is born abroad (even in Europe) and you don't register the birth with British authorities within a specific time-frame, your kid is de-facto stateless. The country in which the child is born will say "No bloke, your child has an English mother, an English father, and you do not have citizenship in our country, so, your kid is English", but if you then go to the British authorities, they'll say "Yeah, but no, but yeah, but even though your kid has got British parents, you didn't tell us quickly enough, so it's not British!"

This is citing an actual factual case I know of, and it was only after 17 years (all of which time the kid was living in the UK with said English parents, schooled in the UK etc) and various loud threats to take it to the national media that someone in the Home Office caved in.

It would have been quicker to get the child through a place like Sangatte into Dover and then apply for citizenship down that route.
  5. It carries on - wife and I are both English (OK, British), born in the UK. Our daughter was born in Hong Kong. If she marries someone in the same circumstance - say the son of a squaddie born in Germany for instance, their child would NOT have UK nationality.
  6. Agree with Biped, it's a non-story as the UK does this too. When I lived in Singapore, a friend had to fly his wife back to the UK for a couple of months to ensure that she gave birth in the UK as both he and his wife had been born abroad (within the Commonwealth) to British parents, but as their own births had been registered at the High Commissions, they would not have been allowed to register their child as British if he'd not been born in the UK.
  7. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

IIRC Spike Milligan was effectively rendered stateless by the changes to British citizenship laws, since both he and his father had been born in India whilst their parents were serving the Empire. This of course made no difference to the Home office and he was required to prove his entitlement. I believe he became an Irish citizen instead under their diaspora laws.
  8. I think they would - if the child was born in the UK. Either under s(1)(1)(b) - if your daughter (or the putative father) was "settled in the UK". Or, of course, if your daughter or the father was a British Citizen under s(1)(1)(a).

Reliance on s(2) - descent - is harder, yes, but both Crown service (so your squaddie example wouldn't apply - if either the squaddie or mother was a Brit rather than Commonwealth or Gurkha) and service in an EU institution mean that the kid qualifies. And all children of born to British citizens by birth, adoption, registration or naturalisation are British citizens under s(2) regardless of where they are born - s2(1)(a).

Now, there is a difference between the law and the way the petty bureaucrats in UKBA apply their regulations ...
  9. My Father was born in 1933 to British parents who happened to be living in Uraguay at the time. Cut to 1971, when he was a serving Army officer stationed in BAOR when his passport expired. Initially, the authorities refused to renew it because of where he had been born. I was only a nipper at the time, but I seem to remember the situation took some effort to resolve.
  10. It wasn't any kind of threat that made the Home Office "cave in" after 17 years, that's just how long the decision-making process actually took!
  11. My uncle was British forces in Singapore when his first born appeared and (he claims!) he paid extra so the sprog could be registered as specifically Scottish as well as British.
  12. Banker

Banker On ROPs

Arrested for child abuse was he?
  13. Quote....My uncle was British forces in Singapore when his first born appeared and (he claims!) he paid extra so the sprog could be registered as specifically Scottish as well as British....

Some of my many offspring were born in end of Empire outposts like Malta and Singapore and the birth certs were standard ones issued by the relevant Embassy. Local certs were issued on birth and some are quite colourful/interesting compared with the Brit ones.
  14. My cousin's the most English bloke imaginable, so it was one and six down the pan. In fact, he'd probably pay a couple of hundred to remove the "stigma". [He was funny in the aftermath of being caught in the middle of a massive brawl in a kebab shop in Ayr - adopts Leslie Phillips voice - "All I wanted was a bloody kebaaaaaaab"
  15. Sarkozy.Hungarian Father,French/Jewish Mother.