Now that's what you call hard work

Whining Civvy

War Hero
And there'll be people out there who are doing the same and who will never be caught. The jammy gits.

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
Crooked Scousers manage it too

Fat Joe has never done an honest days work in his miserable existence.
He personifies all that is bad about Liverpool and especially Labour politicians.
Liverpool council is full of Joes who take the money and deliver FA to the people.
Makes Boris & Co look honest.

fourteen2two

Old-Salt
House of Lords, unelected lot of wasters claiming quite a lot to turn up for a while, have a kip in the house and drink in their subsidised bars!

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
House of Lords, unelected lot of wasters claiming quite a lot to turn up for a while, have a kip in the house and drink in their subsidised bars!
This Italian guy did not even bother to turn up!

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
politicians. note the amount of oxygen thieves present when parliament is televised live, out of the 650+ wastes of skin, you would be lucky to see more than a few dozen in the chamber.
True, but I contend that, apart from the people actually doing the talking, the others in the Chamber are skipping work as their constituency work is done, not in the Chamber, but in their office. There are a lot of skiving MPs who like to be seen on the green benches, as that is their quiet space.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
True, but I contend that, apart from the people actually doing the talking, the others in the Chamber are skipping work as their constituency work is done, not in the Chamber, but in their office. There are a lot of skiving MPs who like to be seen on the green benches, as that is their quiet space.
Why I really believe the days of the Houses of Parliament as seat of government could be numbered if government were serious.

The building needs billions spent before it falls down. Government will have to move out. The pandemic has shown that politicians can attend via Zoom or whatever they use (I recommend IBM Sametime Connect. Properly robust and proven.)

While they're WFH, it will become apparent they don't need a second house in the smoke, first class travel, shed loads of allowances that can go to the cost of the renovations.

Make WFH the norm (I worked with people all round the world for 17 years, as easily from home as from office). Open the HOP to Japanese tourists to recover the costs. When MPs, lords have finished their zoom/Sametime call, turn 90° in their constituency office and continue normal constituency jogging.

Stream everything in the "Commons" for everyone to select either the person talking as per TV, or their or any other MP. Anyone not broadcasting displays a default "THE MEMBER FOR GREAT BELCHING IN THE BOWELS IS NOT PRESENT".

Everyone can see who aren't pulling their weight. Stats can readily be kept. Interview with the Chief Whip and/or the constituency party for slackers.

Job done. I commend it to the house.

Oyibo

LE

15 years on the blag - good drills that man.

There was quite a renowned tale - perhaps apocryphal - in the late '80s of an RAOC WO in the 'shot who was about the leave the Army. He received a call from the bank saying "I hope I'm not out of order, but you have quite a lot of money in your account which might be better invested elsewhere".

Somehow, for years, the Army had been paying him twice into two separate accounts.

The numpty 'fessed up to the Army about it.

Italy works on its own set of rules.
I was once told by a very wealthy English lady who moved there that she was facing very lengthy delays getting the gas supply sorted.
Turns out the guy could sort it if she gave him a substantial bung.
She thought "Christ, thats a bit steep" but stumped up anyway.
The upshot is that she has never had a gas bill in twenty years.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
When you get down to it, this is one of the reasons I voted for Brexit - we were net contributors, meanwhile a broad swathe of Southern European Member States have populations who see paying tax as a rather quaint and slightly comedic thing that the northerners do.

Not racism; just slightly peeved at getting mugged off.