Now that our forces have stopped being killed, we’ve lost interest

minkey

Old-Salt
It's bad enough here, imagine what the US is like. How horrified everyone was when the Nigerian schoolgirls were kidnapped, news editors are bored of it now so it's forgotten.
We get spoonfed what they think we want to hear

The yanks always seem so disingenuous about their troops. I don't think the average American gives a ****, they just don't want to appear unpatriotic.

As for the Brits, the sheep will go wherever the press leads them, however there are many still contributing to forces charities.

From that article:

Britain’s idea of itself as a military power is about to sail away from us, even as we look on in admiration.
He forgot to mention that as that ship gets under weigh, the armed forces leaders will be proudly stood on the bridge, gazing fondly astern, hankering after a past that has slipped away, and pretty much clueless about how to handle the first storm they hit . . . . which (you can bet) is only just over the horizon.

The Services, marginalised and forced to endure endless cuts, seem increasingly remote from people’s lives

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/defence/10944020/Now-that-our-forces-have-stopped-being-killed-weve-lost-interest.html

The problem might be the banning of wearing uniform in public,If they are invisible on the streets then how will civvies be able to get any idea of what they look like when they're not getting shot at in foreign countries.
Fcuk upsetting religious minorities,let the lads wear uniform in public,they're going to all be stationed in the UK anyway pretty soon,soldiers shouldn't be anonymous,they are part of society just the same as the Police or Fire service?

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

You just need to make the mental adjustment to that fact than in future any storms will be not be handled by the use of military power unless the baddies are actually landing on our beaches.

It's a concept that about a hundred and eighty something countries in the world don't appear to have any difficulty with. We'll catch on evetually.

It'll always be thus.

I'd rather see a UK with an effective deterrent and money in the coffers than a large, underused offensive force and not a pot to piss in.

As long as T-72's aren't driving North of the Watford gap I'll not lose sleep.

The problem might be the banning of wearing uniform in public,If they are invisible on the streets then how will civvies be able to get any idea of what they look like when they're not getting shot at in foreign countries.
Fcuk upsetting religious minorities,let the lads wear uniform in public,they're going to all be stationed in the UK anyway pretty soon,soldiers shouldn't be anonymous,they are part of society just the same as the Police or Fire service?
Couldn't agree more strongly.

In the last century, the MoD finally got round to [almost] lifting the ban on the wearing of uniform in public places.

I say 'almost' because, instead of saying "Right! During The Working Day/When On Duty - Thou Shalt Be Properly Dressed In Uniform Wearing The Correct Headdress, Including In Public Places" the mealy-mouthed, risk-averse greasy-pole-climbers who made up the Army Board of the day, issued a directive which in effect said "if you're still worried about terrorists, you can wear what you like when you like, wherever you like"

As an experiment, (I was in an MOD post, where civvies were worn by all ranks) I squeezed into my combats and popped over to Woking one lunchtime, the following week.

Woking is surrounded by Army bases - as you all will know

Now, it may have been my debonair good looks, officer-like manner and impressive bearing, or more likely the red and white plume adorning my headdress, but I was quite gobsmacked (as I walked from one end of the covered shopping mall to the other) by how many people were risking whiplash injury/bumping into others/missing their footing on kerbs, all in their utter surprise at seeing a soldier out in public, in uniform.

I wrote to Soldier mag making the point (mainly because their Vox Pop the previous month had featured aabout a dozen red-bereted Airborne Worriers from Aldershot saying how scared they'd be if made to wear uniform outside their barracks!) and won a 'Letter of the Month' prize for it.
========

Lastly, for what it is worth, Fus Rigby, late of my old Battalion, was not in uniform when he was butchered to death in a public place.

I genuinely believe that we as a nation don't want an armed force. It is only when a perceived threat becomes real, that they realise that we need one. Which explains why Kiplings "Tommy" will always be relevent, irrespective of the age. The public care only as much as the media tell them to. As soon as the agenda reverts back to Z list celebrity status, the military become tomorrows chip paper. And we can get back to hiding our heads in the sand, pretending that all is once again harmless. By 2020, the military will be down to bare bones, being roughly the size of the pre 2nd Boer war army. Perhaps we have got to the point where the military are an unnecessary expense? Whichever is the case, I'm not sure we can afford to find out we were wrong?

You just need to make the mental adjustment to that fact than in future any storms will be not be handled by the use of military power unless the baddies are actually landing on our beaches.

It's a concept that about a hundred and eighty something countries in the world don't appear to have any difficulty with. We'll catch on evetually.
I don't need to make that adjustment.

I am reasonably confident, however, that whatever it is our Army gets used for next, if it ain't defeating 3 Shock Army, it won't have a scoobie, because it looks like that's all they're planning to prep for.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
serco, g4s or sodhexo will be providing the military for the next one.

I don't need to make that adjustment.

I am reasonably confident, however, that whatever it is our Army gets used for next, if it ain't defeating 3 Shock Army, it won't have a scoobie, because it looks like that's all they're planning to prep for.
They aren't planning for that either. Or at least if they are, they're planning annihilation in an afternoon.

They aren't planning for that either. Or at least if they are, they're planning annihilation in an afternoon.
I'll lay money they're not planning for anything that resembles what they next have to deal with.

Unless it happens that we go to war with a nation whose Army fights using GENFOR doctrine.

Have I missed something? Pretty sure we are encouraged to wear uniform in public these days.
You wouldn't know it from the mixed dress I see adorning the few soldiers still operating out of the Recruiting Office in Coventry City Centre, when they pop up the way for a lunchtime banjo from Tesco Express.

I'll lay money they're not planning for anything that resembles what they next have to deal with.

Unless it happens that we go to war with a nation whose Army fights using GENFOR doctrine.
I don't think they're planning for anything, full stop.

Whatever it is will have to come looking, and that's when the planning will start.

Have I missed something? Pretty sure we are encouraged to wear uniform in public these days.
I saw a scalie wearing mtp on the train last night.

'Shirt' up and in with stable belt, incase you're wondering.

Latest Threads