NoW tapping MPs phones

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by tropper66, Jul 9, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. MPs seem to have a bit of a nicker twisting moment in Parliment today when they found out some of their phones have been tapped,and the police have done nothing about LOL

2. mysteron

mysteron LE Book Reviewer

We have already Prescott demanding action from the Police.

he near as damn it said - it is OK for the plebs not to get the service, but I have been in government and that makes me important - do something and find me a witch to burn whilst you are at it.
    Cnuts.

Although, the NoW deserve to get a right royal kicking as well, peddling non stories sourced by illegal means. W@nkers.

3. Well, if they've got nothing to hide, they've got nothing to fear, have they? Or at least, that's what they tell us... :twisted:

4. Must have been quite difficult, keeping track of which phone/residence to bug?

5. For a bunch of people obsessed with snooping into every area of our daily lives, they show a marked reluctance to have the favour returned.

NOTW may be out of order but I must confess to a little schaden freud.

6. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Would Sir like ones schaden frued chilled :wink:

7. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

I think a lot of this comes from crooked insiders in the phone company. Its quite difficult to intercept and decrypt mobile calls these days and there are a limited number of places that can do it.

8. It's the only way to serve it, like revenge, a dish best tasted cold!

Pity Blair and Bushes phones hadn't been bugged during the build up to the Iraq War!

9. You will find that it is not the voice line then are hacking although this can be achieved with professional hardware that costs big bucks.

They are more likely hacking the phone through the vulnerable and poorly secure Bluetooth protocol. This is a much easy process in order to snoop on someone's mobile with the numerous bluetooth hacking tools available (bluesnarfer, redfang etc..). With these you can bypass the bluetooth password handshake and browse contacts, messages, call history etc.

All you need to do is get yourself a long range bluetooth dongle, a laptop, backtrack distro and a little patience and you will see how easy it is to do. Whoever has been hacking the phones only has to be in the vicinity of the phone such as sitting outside a house or standing close to your target. Even more vulnerable are those bluetooth car kits for handsfree - very scary as you can listen in on target conversations with ease.

So to summarise - not that hard to implement and most people with a bluethooth enabled device is a potential target.

PM me for more detailed instructions :D

10. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

Interesting. Is it illegal? Has the law cought up with this or is it covered by existing law?

11. This is definitely wrong and almost certainly illegal.

However, the government is intent on monitoring everything we do - storing records of our phone conversatsions, websites visited and facebook friends - so their reaction when the favour is returned is interesting.

12. I am sure it is probably illegal under some kind of obscure communications act.

Who knows though - that why maybe the police did not act straightaway.

13. Exactamento!

14. And the Bluetooth range of the average mobile is what? Yes I can open a link far in excess of published parameters , but the phone can only transmit a limited distance.

15. It now appears that the police and CPS have known about this for some time and it has been hushed up, I wonder why?