Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Now merchant bankers are running the AF..uniforms not necessary she sats

Didn't realise we sunk solow that merchant bankers non-exec directors are on the RAF board and now deem that uniforms in the military should be dispensed with at times..they're non-inclusive..yeah, like merchant bankers are the most inclusive and reflective of societal strata!!! FFS
From DT today
"Casual Fridays could be on the cards for the Royal Air Force after a director called for a change in dress code that would allow officers to leave uniforms at home on some occasions.
Speaking at the Air & Space Power Conference,Sally Boyle, a non-executive director on the RAF board and partner at Goldman Sachs, recommended that service personnel dressed down on occasion.
“I have visited many RAF bases in the past three years and spoken to men and women of all ranks,” she said.
“In the RAF context, do uniforms need to be worn all of the time? Does the dress code need to change to some extent to reflect modern life and to be inclusive to all?”
Ms Boyle added that the corporate world had “conceded that more informatility in dress code in the office does help create a more inclusive atmosphere in which ideas from all can be expressed”, as she suggested that such concepts could be applied to the next generation RAF...."

I had something similar as a discussion with some of "my" OCdts some time ago, in a previous job, as part of the discussion groups TO.

The general answer was uniform is more inclusive as we all get the same, no matter back ground or money to spend on designer labels...

Well, I suppose most of you lot never really counted the RAF as military anyway, but FFS! Tell me why anyone feels they need input from merchant bankers whose main achievements include enriching themselves and causing the 2008 crash, which impoverished billions.

Last edited:

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I didn't realise that the RAF was run by a board complete with non executive directors.

Didn't realise we sunk solow that merchant bankers non-exec directors are on the RAF board and now deem that uniforms in the military should be dispensed with at times..they're non-inclusive..yeah, like merchant bankers are the most inclusive and reflective of societal strata!!! FFS
From DT today
"Casual Fridays could be on the cards for the Royal Air Force after a director called for a change in dress code that would allow officers to leave uniforms at home on some occasions.
Speaking at the Air & Space Power Conference,Sally Boyle, a non-executive director on the RAF board and partner at Goldman Sachs, recommended that service personnel dressed down on occasion.
“I have visited many RAF bases in the past three years and spoken to men and women of all ranks,” she said.
“In the RAF context, do uniforms need to be worn all of the time? Does the dress code need to change to some extent to reflect modern life and to be inclusive to all?”
Ms Boyle added that the corporate world had “conceded that more informatility in dress code in the office does help create a more inclusive atmosphere in which ideas from all can be expressed”, as she suggested that such concepts could be applied to the next generation RAF...."
Or serve in Main Building...no uniforms except for CCF Wednesdays (optional and generally limited to the sS staffs)

Last edited:

Flight

LE
Book Reviewer
She'll be getting them to go and bomb the Patriarchy next.

From DT today
You might wish to see the background of Stephen Lovegrove, the MODs Perm Sec (and biker of some note)

Well, In suppose most of you lot never really counted the RAF as military anyway, but FFS! Tell me why anyone feels they need input from merchant bankers whose main achievements include enriching themselves and causing the 2008 crash, which impoverished billions.
Given that the RAF is a £10 Bn pa business, having it run by chaps that were good at games and financial experience was limited to running the Sqn tea swindle, don't you think some outside experience would be warranted?

Given that the RAF is a £10 Bn pa business, having it run by chaps that were good at games and financial experience was limited to running the Sqn tea swindle, don't you think some outside experience would be warranted?
For financial management I'd expect appropriate professional advice, probably via MoD civil service. For what to wear, I'd have thought Biggles could make his own mind up.

D

Deleted 3147

All the Single Service main boards have NEDs in attendance. Some make a useful contribution. Some try with spectacular naivety which results in insane amounts of staff work.

In a structured hierarchy like ours the idea of flatter and more empowered is impossible as we all know each others ranks and its rare that Senior Officers can let it go. Wearing civvies is unlikely to change that and I'm sure there will be an admin order for acceptable civvies published soon.

Last edited by a moderator:

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
From DT today
You never did the Computer Centre (and presumably CPO UKLF) at Worthy Down?

Wednesday morning. Everyone in civvies. "Why?" I'm playing sport this afternoon. We're playing away, long journey. Saves having to change (half of them coming into work in civvies and changing into uniform every day anyway because of the perceived threat of being alone, in uniform, in a car and an IRA target. Me? You see plenty civvies wearing combat jackets. Lose the beret or chip bag, easy).

First Thursday of the.month. "Mess meeting tonight. Saves changing after work." (I would drive back home to Southampton from Worthy Down, eat, change, drive back and claim Residence To Place Of Duty twice that day. Let's face it, RAAC, Regulations for Army Allowances and Charges was bread and butter to a Military Accountant).

Friday morning. "We'll be in the Mess from 12, then Poet's Day. Why bother?"

I often wondered whether these people wanted to be in the army at all. Oh, silly me. They were RAPC.

Last edited:

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
You never did the Computer Centre (and presumably CPO UKLF) at Worthy Down?

Wednesday morning. Everyone in civvies. "Why?" I'm playing sport this afternoon. We're playing away, long journey. Saves having to change (half of them coming into work in civvies and changing into uniform every day anyway because of the perceived threat of being alone, in uniform, in a car and an IRA target. Me? You see plenty civvies wearing combat jackets. Lose the beret or chip bag, easy).

First Thursday of the.month. "Mess meeting tonight. Saves changing after work." (I would drive back home to Southampton from Worthy Down, eat, change, drive back and claim Residence To Place Of Duty twice that day. Let's face it, RAAC, Regulations for Army Allowances and Charges was bread and butter to a Military Accountant).

Friday morning. "We'll be in the Mess from 12, then Poet's Day. Why bother?"

I often wondered whether these people wanted to be in the army at all. Oh, silly me. They were RAPC.

My Father was RAPC for decades. Always wore uniform to work.

Changed to civies every time he went to play golf.

For financial management I'd expect appropriate professional advice, probably via MoD civil service. For what to wear, I'd have thought Biggles could make his own mind up.
I've sat in on capability meetings where tens of millions have been swept right on spread sheets without so much a though, by senior military officers.

Wearing civvies is unlikely to change that and I'm sure there will be an admin order for acceptable civvies published soon.

I've seen the draft version.

It's brown brogues, red socks, mustard-coloured chinos or cords and a check shirt (colour, optional). In inclement weather a Barbour Jacket may be worn. Jeans are strictly forbidden, but a dog is optional (not too large, but not too small either).

The DIN will be published forthwith and promulgated on orders thereafter.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

There's no Army Board or Admiralty Board :)
Err, yes there are. They are chaired by the CGS and 1SL respectively, I think.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
I've seen the draft version.

It's brown brogues, red socks, mustard-coloured chinos or cords and a check shirt (colour, optional). In inclement weather a Barbour Jacket may be worn. Jeans are strictly forbidden, but a dog is optional (not too large, but not too small either).

The DIN will be published forthwith and promulgated on orders thereafter.

The standard issue dog is a golden labrador, surely?

Dog, brown, officers,
20200623_140310_resized.jpg
one.

Latest Threads