• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Now Is The Winter Of Our Discontent

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
A series of one day strikes by Unison, the GMB, Unite, the PCS and the FBU will inconvenience a lot of people, not least the strikers themselves (they will lose pay for each day of the strike). The knock on effects will cause some (not insurmountable) problems for the employers.

What this won't do is cause the demise of the unions.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
I've been saying it for a long time but UNITE is the one to watch it's got a new Gen. sec. ready to make his mark, it's the biggest union in the country and it's been making plans for a long time.
I'm with them all the way if it keeps my pension safe from these robbing Tory creatures.

CHORUS
Toora loora loora loo
I'll tell you something awfu' true
You wouldnae hae your telly the noo
If it wasnae for the Union

I had a boss in Aberdeen
The nicest fella that ever was seen
He must have thought me helluva green
Before I joined the Union
(CH)

I had a boss named Allardyce
He was really helluva nice
Except for the way he loaded the dice
(CH)

I had a boss, his name was Black
He told all the workers to call him Jack
But he was bloody good at giving the sack
(CH)

A pal of mine has bought a car
A second-handed Jaguar
He wouldn't hae travelled half as far
If it wasn't for the Union
(CH)

The bosses they were doing fine
Wee wains[1] are working down the mine
They'd have them on the assembly lines
If it wasn't for the Union
(CH)

So men and women all agree
It's time to rise up off your knee
And raise the banner of unity
Forward with the Union
(CH)

I've been saying it for a long time but UNITE is the one to watch it's got a new Gen. sec. ready to make his mark, it's the biggest union in the country and it's been making plans for a long time.
I'm with them all the way if it keeps my pension safe from these robbing Tory creatures.
Again....as he said.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
BBC News - Ed Miliband heckled at TUC over pension strike stance
Look at this creature, was it Churchill who said the opposition's job is to oppose, well he's biting the hand that feeds. There would be no Labour party without union money. If Labour doesn't support it's members and of course many union members pay a political levy to the Labour party, who does it support, themselves?
I could well see the unions forcing Milliband out if he's not careful. I shall continue to stock up on tinned goods, get plenty of fuel for the generator and get my dads old donkey jacket.
Don't forget the word 'tory' was an insult meaning thief.

Look at this creature, was it Churchill who said the opposition's job is to oppose, well he's biting the hand that feeds. There would be no Labour party without union money. If Labour doesn't support it's members and of course many union members pay a political levy to the Labour party, who does it support, themselves?
I could well see the unions forcing Milliband out if he's not careful. I shall continue to stock up on tinned goods, get plenty of fuel for the generator and get my dads old donkey jacket.
Professional politician, straight from university into politics with little or no life skills. More interested in keeping his job than his promises, ungrateful bastard eh?

Don't forget the word 'tory' was an insult meaning thief.
This presupposes that Labour still thinks of its self as the party of the working classes. Wasn't it Lord John," I'll never accept a title" Prescott who said "we're all middle class now"? Does the TUC still really think that the shadow cabinet (as opposed to the backbenchers) really represent their interests in the Palace of St James?

Its because Miliband trying to be Blair Mk2 and keep the middle class on side and is terrified of scaring them off by appearing too pro-union so has made a complete hash of a compromise. Have no idea how this will play out but will be interesting it Cameron decides he is Thatcher's heir.

This presupposes that Labour still thinks of its self as the party of the working classes. Wasn't it Lord John," I'll never accept a title" Prescott who said "we're all middle class now"? Does the TUC still really think that the shadow cabinet (as opposed to the backbenchers) really represent their interests in the Palace of St James?
The Working Class
Can kiss my arse
I've got the Gaffer's
Job at last!

As to the question "will this spell the end of the unions", no it will not but, in many respects, the union movement is becoming an irrelevance, slowly atrophying to eventually become the political equivalent of the appendix - small, of not apparent purpose but ocassionally gets infected and causes irritation.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
The unions sponsor these people and they'll have to be pulled back in line, shocking to see Milliband speak to the TUC in such a manner, he's a fool. The unions supported him into position.
As for us all being middle class that's not really true, most newly qualified Nurses, Teachers and soldiers cannot afford a mortgage in any part of the U.K.

Unions were finished in the 90's, now they are all about executive members and who can get voted in as a MP.
IMHO they are more political than some already voted in to houses of parliament.

They have no use of it's members, other than to use the numbers. when was the last time a national union executive actually done what it said it was going to do? usually come back with the compromise they worked out with the management, and what the management was always going to succumb on anyway.

ex union official

/rant off

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
Shame. I would offer as explanation that the insult it once was has been superseded by the more modern "sly, grabbing ****", and its application liberalised to encompass politicians across the whole spectrum. Except Dennis Skinner.
You are probably right and they really have forgotten who elects them, who pays them and who put them in the positions they have.
If you've ever written to an M.P. you'll probably have found out that they are worse than useless and don't care less about the electorate.

Latest Threads