Now cricket balls are offensive weapons!

Hell's bells!: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/newspaper/0,,171-2487553,00.html

Mr Hurd claimed that he had been merely holding the ball as he rode the escalator at Baker Street station in London when he was stopped by a female British Transport Police officer and subjected to a ten-minute inquisition and allegations that he was carrying “a very hard object”, which he should not have done in public as it was a potentially lethal weapon. He had, he said, taken the ball to work because he planned to watch the opening Ashes Test between England and Australia in a pub with friends later in the evening. Earlier in the day he had been throwing it in the air to strengthen his spin-bowling muscles.

But by the time he got to the station, he said, he was holding it firmly in his hand. He accused the officer of ridiculous overreaction.

She [the WPC] confiscated the ball while she questioned Mr Hurd for ten minutes, gave him a verbal warning and filled out a stop-and-search report.

“When she let me go and gave me my ball back, she said she was being extremely lenient with me. She failed to realise that I presented no threat whatsoever and I left feeling completely misunderstood.”

A spokesman said that British Transport Police had no knowledge of the incident but added: “Though we recognise England need all the help they can get at the moment, we would advise that the escalator is not the place to practise.

“What if the ball was dropped and hit an old lady further down the escalator?

“We would advise passengers to be careful, both for themselves and other people at this busy time. To ensure that the Underground is free of crime and free of the fear of crime, our officers maintain a highly visible presence.”
Any of our Met / British transport plod residents care to comment on this?

“What if the ball was dropped and hit an old lady further down the escalator?
H&S gone mad

What if he had simply tripped down the escalator? Damn sure 13 stone will hurt more than a rolling ball. :roll:

Relax what would SHE know about cricket?

that's nothing - I got stopped by the filth and spent the night in the cells before being released on caution. Why?

I had a toy baseball bat in the boot!

CNUTS!!!!!!!

Voyager said:
Anything is an offensive weapon if a policeman deems it so............that is English Law
Quite close, the qualification is 'made or intended' I believe so it is what was the intended use of the cricket ball that would decide whether it is an 'offensive weapon' (not to be confused with a weapon of offense, or in fact having an offensive person on the end of your weapon).

In this circumstance I believe that the PC was correct in establishing what the guy intended to do with an object that was clearly out of context on the Underground. What was wrong was her attitude and the particularily stupid statement made by the BTP spokesman.

That too

I think thats the key word isn't it. 'Context'.

I think the plod was quite correct to stop the chap. Holding a cricket ball on the underground is a bit odd to say the least so the plod quite rightly asked him what he was doing with it. Why didn't he have it stowed in his pocket?

A copper has to use his judgement to decide if something appears 'suspicious'. If he or she had stopped the bloke on a cricket pitch then yes, it would appear to be as daft as a daft thing but it would be like me walking around Tescos with a 5 Iron. I would wholey expect someone to stop and ask me wtf I am doing!

Dzerzhinskiey

It was 1:30 AM (approx) on a thursday evening and I was between Romford and Ilford in Essex, back in the 90's.

I was in a petrol station and was approached by a 5' nothing copper and asked if I minded if he searched my car. Of course I had nothing to hide so said it was ok. In the boot was 12" toy baseball bat and a few bungies. By the time I paid for my petrol he had called a meat wagon and I was arrested on the spot for concealing a dangerous weapon.

In the station I was questioned as to why I had it - two young sons were no excuse as I didn't have a ball to go with it. I tried to explain that the crook lock in the front would do more damage as a weapon but he was having none of it. They took my shoe laces and belt and banged me up until about 6 AM when I was brought before the desk sergeant. The charge was upheld as he didn't want to go against his man but was reduced to a caution. I was let go and had to wait until 7 for a bus that went near the petrol station.

The-Daddy said:
Dzerzhinskiey

It was 1:30 AM (approx) on a thursday evening and I was between Romford and Ilford in Essex, back in the 90's.

I was in a petrol station and was approached by a 5' nothing copper and asked if I minded if he searched my car. Of course I had nothing to hide so said it was ok. In the boot was 12" toy baseball bat and a few bungies. By the time I paid for my petrol he had called a meat wagon and I was arrested on the spot for concealing a dangerous weapon.

In the station I was questioned as to why I had it - two young sons were no excuse as I didn't have a ball to go with it. I tried to explain that the crook lock in the front would do more damage as a weapon but he was having none of it. They took my shoe laces and belt and banged me up until about 6 AM when I was brought before the desk sergeant. The charge was upheld as he didn't want to go against his man but was reduced to a caution. I was let go and had to wait until 7 for a bus that went near the petrol station.
You accepted the caution?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
eye_spy The NAAFI Bar 9
R Sports, Adventure Training and Events 17
G AGC, RAPTC and SASC 12